Question about 5.0TA - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 02-24-2019, 10:14 PM   #1

Trailer: 2016 21 ft escape
Question about 5.0TA

My wife and I are just in the thinking process of moving from a Escape 21 to a 5.0 TA. Main reason for the change is that separate sleeping area. We have such different sleeping habits, me early to bed, she up all hours, me early riser, and she sleeps in late.
So I have never had a 5th wheel or driven a truck with a 5th wheel attached, I’ll say right now I don’t know anything about them and maybe this is a dumb question or I’m over thinking the process. But here goes.
My Tundra has an 8 foot bed. So clearance between the cab and the trailer is not a problem, but with the 5.0 being so small (as fifth wheels go) is there enough room between the front of the trailer and the hitch to get the pin box centered over my axel. Is there a measurement say between the bumper and the rear axel to consider so that pin box will be centered over or just in front of it. I believe to have the pin box behind the axel is a no go, correct?
Please feel free to correct my terminology or thinking, because as I say I know nothing about setting up for a fifth wheel. Thank you.
Jake930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 01:35 AM   #2

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake930 View Post
My Tundra has an 8 foot bed. So clearance between the cab and the trailer is not a problem, but with the 5.0 being so small (as fifth wheels go) is there enough room between the front of the trailer and the hitch to get the pin box centered over my axel.
Not a problem. The way almost all pickups are built now, all of the difference between box lengths is made up between the axle and the cab, so the distance from the axle to the rear bumper is the same, regardless of the length of the box (within the same model). Also, every brand of full-size truck is very similar in dimensions -it's a competitive market. That means that if a 5.0TA works for any full-size truck with the hitch over the axle, it will likely work the same way for every other full-size truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake930 View Post
I believe to have the pin box behind the axel is a no go, correct?
That's the general practice for fifth-wheels, but the Escape 5.0TA is very light compared to most fifth-wheels, and having the pin (hitch centre) moderately behind the axle line, if you needed to do that, would be fine. Think of it this way: the truck can handle 500 pounds of conventional trailer tongue weight on a ball four feet behind the axle, so it can handle 700 pounds of fifth-wheel pin weight a few inches behind the axle. It's not like an 8-ton trailer with a ton or two of pin (hitch) weight. Trucks with a box length under six feet are routinely set up to place the pin slightly behind the truck axle (with custom hitch mounting, or a hitch with a rearward offset) to tow the 5.0TA.

Also, I believe you have a double cab 8.1' box Tundra, and that has an enormous 164" wheelbase - all of the extra box length compared to the double cab with 6.5' box is added to the wheelbase. That means it has the stability to handle a load located further behind the axle.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 05:37 AM   #3

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Same Brian says. I have an 8' bed on my F150, the instructions for installing the bed rails had the same measurement from the rear edge of the bed to where the bed rails are mounted for all 3 bed lengths. The only thing I run into is the open tailgate is pretty close to the trailer, need to pay attention if the truck is at any kind of angle to the trailer. On occasion my wife has to slowly close the tailgate as I back to the trailer.
Old 02-25-2019, 09:48 AM   #4

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
You might want to send sandyb12 a PM. She went from a 5.0TA to a 21.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 10:09 AM   #5

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
I would think a blackout curtain designed to separate the 21 bed area for privacy might be a better idea. You’d lose the bigger 21 bath and incur a lot of expense for not much if any gain.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 10:33 AM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
I would think a blackout curtain designed to separate the 21 bed area for privacy might be a better idea. You’d lose the bigger 21 bath and incur a lot of expense for not much if any gain.
I am going to agree with this I've often said I have zero regrets about buying Ten Forward... well, now there are two.

As I age, I would prefer to keep both feet on the ground when hooking/unhooking. Now, I either have to get out the step ladder or hike my body up so can make certain I have a positive latch on the king pin and to hookup the brake away cable.

The other is the shear roof height. I need a taller than 6' step ladder to wash and wax the dang roof! I can't even see the top of most of the roof. Now, I'm 5'7" tall and shrinking a bit more each day... so, YMMV.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 11:52 AM   #7

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Donna you need a telescopic mirror like this to check you hitch.
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B071J4N7CW/..._4OcDCb8042JF0

As for the ladder, looks like an 8 footer eh [emoji6].
Old 02-25-2019, 11:59 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGDriver View Post
Donna you need a telescopic mirror like this to check you hitch.
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B071J4N7CW/..._4OcDCb8042JF0

As for the ladder, looks like an 8 footer eh [emoji6].
A mirror would solve the positive latch condition, but I'd also need longer arms to hookup the brake away cable. Yeah, at least am 8' ladder. 10' would be better. I hate ladders though. I've fallen off a ladder twice washing Ten Forward. Not good. I'd actually prefer some rolling scaffolding.
Old 02-25-2019, 12:59 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
I would also like rolling scaffolding for washing. I've fallen off ladders several times and at 74 I don't look forward to the next one. I'm 5'10" and use a small folding stool from CW for hooking up the breakaway and backup camera cables.
If it matters, a 21 foot 5th wheel is 21 feet of trailer while a 21 foot bumper hitch is 18 feet of trailer and 3 feet of hardware. I do miss the bigger bath in the Casita.
Old 02-25-2019, 03:03 PM   #10

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
yes i use a step stool to hitch up but it does seem easier then my bumper pull.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 03:03 PM   #11

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
washing the roof is too difficult for me
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 06:35 PM   #12

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
For washing my 19' trailer (and I expect I will use the same setup when I get my 5.0) I bought two of those folding ladders and an expanding aluminum scaffold plank. The folding ladders are very stable and with a solid scaffold plank between them, I have a safe, stable platform to work from. Falling off a ladder could end ones camping or worse! Be safe out there!

Here is what I have but there are other brands out there too.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Werner-Mt-A...adder/50441824
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 06:40 PM   #13

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Do you place the ladders either side of the trailer? If so, how do you position the plank?
Or do you have the ladders on the same side?
Old 02-25-2019, 07:24 PM   #14

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by captmath View Post
I do miss the bigger bath in the Casita.
Dick, how about the slightly smaller bath in the 5.0TA compared to the 5.0. I noticed the difference in the floor space account the wheel well protrusion.

It's hard to believe it's nearly six years since you showed us (well the self guided tour) your 5.0, the very first one we saw. Thanks yet again for that opportunity.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 09:23 PM   #15

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
A mirror would solve the positive latch condition, but I'd also need longer arms to hookup the brake away cable. Yeah, at least am 8' ladder. 10' would be better. I hate ladders though. I've fallen off a ladder twice washing Ten Forward. Not good. I'd actually prefer some rolling scaffolding.
Donna, would this work for you? 6 foot high with adjustable platform and you can put two together with outriggers for 12 foot height. If one interests you make sure you get one with trap door instead of climbing up on one of the sides.

Do a search on Portable Scaffolding many models out there. The two pictured can be purchased at Home Depot under the name MetalTech.

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Building...5yc1vZaqfmZbds
Attached Thumbnails
metaltech-scaffolding-sets-i-cisch1-64_1000.jpg   metaltech-scaffolding-sets-i-imis-64_1000.jpg  
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 09:36 PM   #16
Site Team

Thanks Kent, that's exactly what I'm looking at. First I need to make certain Ten Forward is parked on the flats. My driveway isn't...
Old 02-26-2019, 10:11 PM   #17

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Do you place the ladders either side of the trailer? If so, how do you position the plank?
Or do you have the ladders on the same side?
I have then on the same side. I can reach half the width of the roof from the side. I need to set it up twice per side to cover the full length.
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 11:09 PM   #18

Trailer: 2016/ 5TA Spirit Bear
Just check to make sure the extra trailer length, ie 8 foot is long, is in the distance from the back of the cab to the axel. I think it is. My Tundra is a 6.5 feet length and I often get my wife to close the tailgate when hooking up. Can do it alone but it is close. The extra 1.5 feet would be a challenge if its not positioned right.
Mark James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 02:22 AM   #19

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark James View Post
Just check to make sure the extra trailer length, ie 8 foot is long, is in the distance from the back of the cab to the axel. I think it is. My Tundra is a 6.5 feet length and I often get my wife to close the tailgate when hooking up. Can do it alone but it is close. The extra 1.5 feet would be a challenge if its not positioned right.
As already explained, all of the extra box length (when comparing boxes of different length in the same model of truck) is indeed between the cab and the axle, in typical modern pickups. For instance, in the 2018 Tundra and 2019 Tundra:
  • Double cab with 78.7" (6.5') bed: 145.7" wheelbase (228.9" overall)
  • Double cab with 97.6" (8.1') bed: 164.6" wheelbase (247.8" overall)
Choosing the longer box (longer by 18.9 inches) with the same cab lengthens the truck by 18.9 inches, and all 18.9 inches of it is added to the wheelbase - not the rear overhang - so as Bob (padlin) explained, the reach from tailgate to axle is the same.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 05:28 AM   #20

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by arniesea View Post
For washing my 19' trailer (and I expect I will use the same setup when I get my 5.0) I bought two of those folding ladders and an expanding aluminum scaffold plank.
Might not be high enough. The specs for the ladder mention 5' high as a step ladder, I stand on the top of a 6' and can just reach the center of the roof at the peak, I'm 6'2".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Thanks Kent, that's exactly what I'm looking at. First I need to make certain Ten Forward is parked on the flats. My driveway isn't...
Haven't seen the Warner scaffolding, but the ones we had a work weighed a ton. Might want to make sure you can manage the sections.