Questions about 17'B and 19' - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-23-2018, 09:11 PM   #21

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
I noticed you were leaning toward the '13-15 model years. Consumer reports April issue for 2017 will have extensive data on each model year for many parts (engine, brakes, trim packages, etc).
Old 01-23-2018, 09:47 PM   #22

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by phsw98 View Post
as for a tow vehicle for the 19' I'm looking at the 2018 Honda Pilot and the Nissan Pathfinder. Both are very similar in size, horse power and torque. The Pathfinder can tow 6K lbs with the tow package, Nissan Canada is also offering a $3000 cash incentive. Honda can tow 5K lbs with the tow package and no cash incentives
Probably going to catch it here for saying this: I wouldn't trust a CVT transmission for towing and they are very expensive to fix. Most Gen2 19's weigh about what my Gen1 21 does so you will be towing around 4,000#. From what I have read about the Honda they don't recommend a WDH, which you probably will want for your Mid-Size SUV.
Old 01-23-2018, 10:03 PM   #23

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
From what I have read about the Honda they don't recommend a WDH, which you probably will want for your Mid-Size SUV.
"Are You Sure?
- Russell Casse, Independence Day
Old 01-23-2018, 10:22 PM   #24

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Ha Ha, right? I liked CPA dude's old tag line best: "Never in doubt, often wrong ".

Steve(hotfishtacos) comes to mind with his Pilot and his receiver bending upwards. That, and reading of folks with Ridgelines. Maybe it's different with current models, however they were verboten previously, no?
Old 01-23-2018, 10:58 PM   #25

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
From what I have read about the Honda they don't recommend a WDH, which you probably will want for your Mid-Size SUV.
What the Pilot owner's manual actually says about WD hitches; it varies by vintage...

First and Second generation
2008 (manual page 225), 2009 (manual page 445), and 2011 (manual page 441)
Quote:
A weight distributing hitch is not recommended for use with your vehicle, as an improperly adjusted weight distributing hitch may reduce handling, stability, and braking performance.
2014, manual page 336:
Quote:
A weight distributing hitch is not recommended for use with your vehicle.
An improperly adjusted weight distributing hitch may reduce handling, stability, and braking performance.
So, not recommended (and reason is given), but not prohibited. This implies that you can use one, but Honda thinks it would be better if you didn't.

Third generation
2016, manual page 456:
Quote:
Your vehicle is designed to tow without the need for a load distributing hitch. If you wish to use one, please consult your trailer maker for proper installation and set-up. Improper set-up could degrade the handling, stability, and braking performance of your vehicle.
So, you shouldn't need one, and the reasons not to use one are given, but it is not prohibited; there is no recommendation. This clearly implies that you can use one, as long as you don't set it up improperly.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 11:29 PM   #26

And, it took me six years to get Toyota to explain why they "don't recommend" a WDH for my RAV4. It was because they didn't have a recommendation for which one to get, because they hadn't tested them.
My Toyota dealer service has inspected my WDH receiver recently and given me an A-OK nine years after they had it installed.
Old 01-24-2018, 09:32 AM   #27

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19', 1974 Boler
We upsized from a 13' boler (which we still own) to a 17' Casita, to be truthful the boler felt bigger on the inside and had more storage. We then moved up to a 19' Escape which we find perfect. The living space is large and Joan & I are not getting in each others way (n the Casita only one person could work or cook at a time. The queen size bed is wonderful, from a safety perspective the tandem wheel are a huge advantage, the load on each tire is a fraction of what a single axle trailer has.

Our tow vehicle is a 2008 Toyota 4Runner V6 which works quite well, it is not a powerhouse but we can maintain our towing speed over the mountains without any problems.
Ian G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 10:40 AM   #28

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
We have a 17B and 2017 Honda Pilot. The 17B is kind of a unique trailer in that it is narrow enough that it is about exactly as wide as the Pilot, similar to a Casita or Scamp. It still feels large enough inside for us and 2 dogs. It is exactly what we need and want, but of course the 19 is larger and has features that would only be available in a larger trailer. If you can deal with the increased width and length, weight, and don't need the nimbleness of a single axle trailer, go for it because most people would rather have more space, but it really depends on your needs. I am almost never hesitant to pull into a shopping center parking lot towing the 17B. Even if I end up having to back out it's not that difficult to get it turned around.

Don't know what the tongue weight is, but it's not a problem with the Pilot and WDH. Our front box is loaded up and we sometimes carry 12 gallons of extra water in the front of the trailer so that's about as bad as it could get with a 17B.

The Pilot is a GREAT daily driver and an adequate tow vehicle, but I can't compare it with the Explorer since I've never had one.

So think carefully about your needs and make your trailer and options choices based on those rather than other people's. It's easy to get influenced one way or another by comments on here so make sure your needs are going to be covered.
skyfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 01:05 PM   #29

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
We have a 17A, with a permanent queen(approx.) bed in the front. As we age, we appreciate that bed more and more each camping trip. It uses space that would have been for the bathroom; we have a porta-potty instead. If we had wanted a bathroom, the 19 would have been our for-sure choice, because the fulltime bed is a must for us.
We recommend the awning window at the kitchen. Even when it's too cold or hot outside, rain or shine, we have that window open for ventilation, along with the Maxfan vent open at the roof. That exhaust air has to be replaced by makeup air, so the kitchen window is perfect.
We do use the kitchen hood/exhaust when cooking for vapor/steam removal. In the 17, the hood is not in the way. Friends with 19's have varying opinions about it.
Front storage box: stores stuff you don't want inside the trailer, AND protects the front of the trailer from road debris kicked up. It took the hit (slight crack) and saved our 17 from a hole in the front.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 03:14 PM   #30

Trailer: None yet
@caheath I'm pretty much in the exact same position you are. So thanks for posing such a well laid out series of questions. For us, this will be our first trailer. We're still tenting right now. We used to bicycle camp and canoe camp so we've been lifelong lightweight campers.

I was going to ask about the front storage box's ability to play double duty as a rock guard. @dfandrews just answered that question. I can imagine the damage gravel can do to the gelcoat. How beat-up are your storage boxes?

As for our choice of tow vehicle, I'm open to a mid-sized SUV like you're suggesting, but I also have my eye on a small pickup (Frontier/Tacoma). Our current 4-cyl FWD Rav4 is a non-starter. I'm partial to the Frontier simply because the Tacos are so popular (read: expensive) and seem more geared to offroading vs towing. I see some members tow a 5.0 with a Frontier, but I haven't seen any towed with a Taco.

We're still a few years away from pulling the trigger, what with 2 kids still in Uni. But we acknowledge we'd like to "get off the ground" so to speak. On the one hand, the 17' would be a good place to start as it is still luxurious by our current standards. But trading up a few years down the road when we succumb to 2-foot-itis will probably cost us a lot more than the ~$5k different right from the start. And I like the safety aspect of twin axles. We have the benefit of being less than an hour's drive from ETI so we're going to head out there soon to (literally) kick some tires.

I looked at the list of exhibitors for the local RV show and ETI doesn't attend. I guess if their production has a year long wait and their client base stretches from here to Florida, they don't need to pay to enter local RV shows.
Anachr0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 03:28 PM   #31

I've never understood the concept of paying for parking, standing in lineups and then paying for admission to an RV show, or any other show where they are only there to sell you something.
Old 01-24-2018, 03:38 PM   #32

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I've never understood the concept of paying for parking, standing in lineups and then paying for admission to an RV show, or any other show where they are only there to sell you something.
Similar to paying a fee to visit an auto dealership.....
Old 01-24-2018, 03:41 PM   #33

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I was going to ask about the front storage box's ability to play double duty as a rock guard. @dfandrews just answered that question. I can imagine the damage gravel can do to the gelcoat. How beat-up are your storage boxes?

The boxes have been sprayed with something similar to Line X, a protectorant used on automobiles and in wheel wells....works well!
Old 01-24-2018, 04:16 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I'm not a big fan of admission fees either, but It would take 2 days and more than $20 in gas to run around the lower mainland and poke our heads all the trailers at various dealerships. And frankly it would be a grind. Keep in mind this is all new for us. We are complete neophytes. $16 for us to spend 3-4 hours exploring and dreaming is a cheap date. Are the lineups really bad at these things?
Old 01-24-2018, 04:19 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
The boxes have been sprayed with something similar to Line X, a protectorant used on automobiles and in wheel wells....works well!
Good to know. I'm sold!
Old 01-24-2018, 05:31 PM   #36

My buddy and I went to RV show in Chilliwack. Escape was the only fiberglass trailer amid $400,000+ motorhomes and huge fifth wheels. The only other trailer we looked at was a 25' Nash, which convinced me that I didn't want a Nash.
It's a short drive from these RV shows to Escape and I don't think Escape attends the shows any more.
Old 01-24-2018, 06:26 PM   #37

Trailer: 17
Odd no https://www.armadillotrailers.net/ at the RV show.
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 07:07 PM   #38

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17B
We are in the same position as you, but we actually put a deposit on the 17B.....and then we viewed a 19. We have been debating ever since whether to go with the larger trailer. The larger bed is nice....but honestly it is the bathroom size that has me concerned. Go ahead and laugh, but we actually measured each other to see if we could fit well in the 17B. We can. But do we want to? Not sure. I will be using the trailer alone a lot. We will be traveling as a couple a few times a year. Still thinking the 17B is right. I am used to a small tent. I could never begin to fill all the storage space in the 19....and maybe even the 17B.
Sheepdogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 07:15 PM   #39

Starting over, I'd get a 19'. Won't do it now because I would have to buy a new tow vehicle.
I like the permanent bed, and the four person dinette makes for comfortable socializing in inclement weather. We always end up in my buddy's 19 for card games and for dinners together.
I wouldn't worry about the bathroom, since generally there is only one person in there at a time, but the wider aisle in the 19' allows two people to pass one another.
As for storage space, you don't have to fill it.
Old 01-24-2018, 07:18 PM   #40

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdogger View Post
We are in the same position as you, but we actually put a deposit on the 17B.....and then we viewed a 19. We have been debating ever since whether to go with the larger trailer. The larger bed is nice.

We went out to put down a deposit on a 17, said what the heck,
might as well look at the 19. No debate for us, instant switch to the 19 for us.
Not just the bed, the size of the dinette was perfect for us. Unlike some,
who deliberately end up with smaller tables, we use every bit of table space.

We will be traveling as a couple a few times a year. Still thinking the 17B is right. I am used to a small tent. I could never begin to fill all the storage space in the 19....and maybe even the 17B.
I often take the trailer away for a weekend activity by myself.
I've never had the thought that I could do with a smaller trailer.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote