Quick TV tire question - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-12-2019, 10:24 AM   #1

Trailer: 21NE picked up in May 2022
Quick TV tire question

I will be using my generation 1 Tundra (4.7 L V8 with 3.91 gears 4WD) as my tow vehicle. I will be towing an Escape 19 or 21 footer. The truck has pretty good capacity (1512 pounds of payload, 7100 pounds towing capacity, 710 pounds tongue weight, 6030 GVWR, 11800 GCWR), but I have a quick question about tires.

From the factory it came with P rated SL tires with a capacity of about 2403 pounds (Load index of 111 @ 26/29 psi) according to the sticker on the door. I put on SL rated tires with about 2469 pounds of capacity (Load index of 112) @44 psi, although I keep them at 36 psi for better wear.

If I use this as my TV, should I consider going to "10 ply" 3415 pound capacity @ 80 psi (Load index of 123). My gut feeling is that that using "10 ply rated" tires would be overkill for what I will be doing + I don't think pressuring them up to 80 psi would be a good idea for ride and tread life.

Thoughts?
Randy in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 10:45 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I do not think you will enjoy towing with 10 ply tires and that high pressure. BTW, do you have a full size spare? I had to purchase on for my Ram.
Old 09-12-2019, 10:50 AM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I bought light truck tires for my Ford Explorer ( was part of Firestone recall ). As they aged, the road noise became intolerable. Replaced with passenger tires, as spec'd by Ford, and I could hear again.
Old 09-12-2019, 10:53 AM   #4

Trailer: TBD
I was in a similar position. My criteria was to go to an XL rated tire rather than the stock SL rated tire. In my opinion, the 10 ply rated tire is overkill and most likely will result in poorer fuel economy and poorer handling than an XL rated tire. I did have to go up one tire size but that had the positive effect of making my speedometer more accurate. My preferred tire and one that would work well in the Maine climate is a Nokian WR G4 SUV 255 /60 R18 112H XL BSW, up in size up from the stock size of 245/60 R18. This is my third set of Nokian WR SUV with two different vehicles and I will be getting them again when the time comes unless some other tire comes up as superior.

This is a fun site to use when deciding on tire size.
https://www.discounttire.com/learn/tire-size-calculator
Old 09-12-2019, 11:51 AM   #5

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
My F150 came with E's, which are the 10 ply of old, will hold up to 80 psi. The truck placard says to use 55 in the front and 60 in the backs, which I do. They work just fine for me, but I'll change to the highway version of these (Coopers) when I need to change them, the M&S's ride a bit rough. I'd imagine you'll notice a rougher ride too, but they work, and don't need 80 psi. go by what the truck calls for.
Old 09-12-2019, 11:51 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
BTW, do you have a full size spare? I had to purchase on for my Ram.
Yes I have a full sized spare under the bed. I actually pull it out once in a while to make sure I can if I need to.
Old 09-12-2019, 12:06 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I carry my full size in the bed and the temporary stays up underneath, 2 spares .....
Old 09-12-2019, 12:29 PM   #8

Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17. Looking for something else.
If you go to E rated tires you get more load capacity which it appears you do not need. You also get heavier sidewall construction which reduces the chance of sidewall damage. If you are boondocking you might need this advantage.

The downside to using an E rated tire is rougher ride, lower fuel economy anf less tread life. An E rated tire will wear faster because it runs hotter.

When deciding on what pressure to run in any tire you also need to be aware of the maximum pressure capacity of the wheel and valve stem. Wheels and valve stems have maximum pressure capacity that may be lower than the tire.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 01:02 PM   #9

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
keep on mind that the tire capacity is only one item in determining vehicle load capacity, wheels, axle, and suspension, are all a part of a matched set.
Old 09-12-2019, 01:11 PM   #10
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
My Tacoma came with P series XL tires, I replaced them with LT 'E' rated BF Goodrich All Terrain KO2's, but kept the inflation pressures closer tot eh toyota recommendations, than the load range 'E' tire's max 80 PSI, and they rode great, handled great, and after 20,000 miles still had 65% of their tread wear left. they were also awesome off road, handling most anything short of thick goopy mud with total confidence.

When I got my F250, which calls for load range "E' tires, I got the same thing, and run them at the F250's recommended pressures (70PSI in the back, 55 or something in front)

there's a table for tire sizes, axle weight, and pressure. 80PSI would be required on those size tires if you ran them at their maximum rated weight, which is far higher than my Tacoma or your Tundra would ever do.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 02:02 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 19'
We just switched the tires on our GX460 to AT/KO2 load range E and didn't notice any difference in terms of fuel economy or noise/comfort.. per BF Goodrich we are running the tires at 45psi... We towed with the original factory tires the last two years and only switched because we want nubby tires for the truck for off roads.. went thru two sets of those for the FJ and were happy with them.
caddoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 03:16 PM   #12

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I don't see any point in changing tire type if you are not increasing pressure, and no reason to increase pressure beyond the 44 PSI allowed by the current tires. There is no capacity issue with the current tires. Certainly 80 PSI in similarly-sized tires (presumably of construction which allows that pressure) would be a terrible idea.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 07:27 PM   #13

Thanks for all of your thoughts. I am about a year from taking it all on the road. I really like my Tundra, even though it is old (2002), it is smaller and tighter yet still has adequate torque to pull the load. Plus I can I can actually fix things. I think I knew the answer before I asked the question.

When it comes time to change the tires out, I will stick with similar properly rated tires on my TV for the future. I would never go lower in capacity. I keep an eye on them and actually rotate tires every 10K. And yes I also own a torque wrench + a cordless air compressor that stays in my TV. I am sort of handy when I need to be..

My father always used to say that tires, brakes and lights are not the things to skimp on. The older I get...the smarter he gets. Thanks again!!