Ram 1500 Factory Trailer Brake Controller Gain Setting? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-08-2020, 08:56 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21 NE
Ram 1500 Factory Trailer Brake Controller Gain Setting?

Anyone out there towing a 21 NE (or 21 C) with a Ram 1500 5.7? If so, what gain setting have you found best for the factory trailer brake controller on the Ram? Also, the trailer brakes on the Escape are electric, right? As opposed to Electric Over Hydraulic? I just want to make sure I set everything up correctly the first time.

Thanks!
Dustin
Dustin Richardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 09:08 PM   #2

Trailer: none
I am using the light setting on the controller set at 7
oreo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 09:16 PM   #3

Thanks! I'd figured it's probably 6, 6.5, or 7, but definitely love to hear from those who've already experienced it first hand. This forum is such a wealth of helpful info. Looking forward to hearing others' selections.
Old 10-10-2020, 07:24 PM   #4

Trailer: 2021
Hello Forum

I have 6 months before i hit the road for Chilliwack BC to pick up our 21Ne. Pretty much have the tow vehicle down to F150 and Ram. what say you ?
johnnyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 07:35 PM   #5

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyv View Post
Hello Forum

I have 6 months before i hit the road for Chilliwack BC to pick up our 21Ne. Pretty much have the tow vehicle down to F150 and Ram. what say you ?
I own a 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie but the Ford F150 and the Chevy 1500-are both great trucks
I would be happy to own anyone of the them
I have the factory IBC and it works well + it built into the dash so you don’t ram your knee into it
Brake controller is set at 6.5 or 7.0 , can’t remember exactly .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 07:35 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Woa!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin Richardson View Post
Thanks! I'd figured it's probably 6, 6.5, or 7, but definitely love to hear from those who've already experienced it first hand. This forum is such a wealth of helpful info. Looking forward to hearing others' selections.
Hi: Dustin Richardson... After the last recall on the EcoDiesel I had to reset the gain cause the trailer brakes weren't working properly. I set it to 6.5 and works fine now. If you do a pull away test and the trailer brakes will hold the rig... should be good to go!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 08:06 PM   #7

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Also, the trailer brakes on the Escape are electric, right? As opposed to Electric Over Hydraulic? I just want to make sure I set everything up correctly the first time.
Yes, they are conventional electric drum brakes, not an electric-over-hydraulic system.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 04:24 AM   #8

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I have over 40,000 miles towing with my 2014 Ram 1500, one of the best trucks I have ever owned. Other that air bags in the rear coil springs and CAI kit, everything stock. Brakes may take a while to "seat" so I would a little less on the setting. Find an open area where you can hook up and apply the brakes and listen to what is happening. Once the brakes have been used, maybe 1000 miles then you can reprogram the controller. do not forget to check your wheel lugs also the first 1,000 miles.
Old 10-11-2020, 06:04 AM   #9

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
I have a Tundra but my experience might be helpful here.

When I picked up my 5.0 in Sumas, I then drove over Hwy 20, the North Cascade Hwy the day after it opened. At first I had my electric brake setting at 8! After a few hours I set it to 7.5 because at 8, the wheels started to lock up (just a little).

After I got out of the mountains, I set it at about 7 to 6.5. The truck drove and braked very smoothly. After a few trips I was able to back it off to about 4.0, and that is where I keep it today. Tundras apparently supply a different voltage to the electric brakes so comparing them probably does not work. But the lesson is, to feel them for sticking or listen for screech sounds coming from the tires. Also if the trailer lurches, consider backing off a little to see if that helps.

4.0 is about perfect for me now. Even in the mountains. I might go up to 4.5 but last trip I didn't. If I need more braking power, I use the slider.

I hope that helps.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 05:04 PM   #10

Thanks!

Thanks everyone for the great advice! So far 6.5 is feeling solid to me. Tested it out in the parking lot it was delivered in a fair bit.

As far as tow vehicles go, I'm impressed with how little you can even tell the 21 NE is back there with the Ram 1500 5.7 E-torque. Seems very well under control. I mostly went with the Ram over a GMC or Ford because the local dealer gave me an excellent price (almost $11K off list on only a mid-level trim). I like the exterior styling better on the GMC but the interior on the Ram is so much nicer. Tradeoffs but all the 1/2 ton pickups out there seem so nice these days, hard to think any of them would be a bad choice.
Old 10-14-2020, 05:29 PM   #11

Dustin,
Now you need to go out and purchase a full sized spare to use while towing, the stock smaller sized factory spare will not perform well when towing.
Old 10-15-2020, 07:28 AM   #12

Quote:
Thanks everyone for the great advice! So far 6.5 is feeling solid to me. Tested it out in the parking lot it was delivered in a fair bit.

As far as tow vehicles go, I'm impressed with how little you can even tell the 21 NE is back there with the Ram 1500 5.7 E-torque. Seems very well under control. I mostly went with the Ram over a GMC or Ford because the local dealer gave me an excellent price (almost $11K off list on only a mid-level trim). I like the exterior styling better on the GMC but the interior on the Ram is so much nicer. Tradeoffs but all the 1/2 ton pickups out there seem so nice these days, hard to think any of them would be a bad choice.
The E-torgue must add substantially to the Ram’s towing ability . Something to think about in the future .
Old 10-15-2020, 09:58 AM   #13

According to spec's,E-Torque add's about 1100 lbs towing at a cost of just a tad over $1400 option. But the Ram is not short on towing capacity, it's shortage is in carrying capacity which is a little less with the E-Torque option.
Old 10-15-2020, 10:36 AM   #14

Dustin says he can barely notice his Escape 21 when towing with his Ram 1500 E- torque
I can definitely feel my Escape 21 when towing with my 2019 Ram with the Hemi V8
Since both trucks are almost identical except for the engines then the engine must be the cause of the difference !