Ram 1500 specs for 5.0 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-16-2023, 08:44 PM   #1

Trailer: N/A
Ram 1500 specs for 5.0

Hello everyone, my 5.0 is on order and I am now finalizing my choice for a truck. I have had the benefit of your collective wisdom (thanks!) with respect to payload, towing capacity, axle width, powertrain, etc. I am in talks for a 2022 Ram 1500 Big Horn with following specs:

Quad
4x4
6’4" bed
3.6L V6
3.55 axle
Trailer tow package
Payload 1800
Towing capacity 6500

That would seem to be be appropriate for the 5.0. Not too much truck, but not too tight either. Am I missing anything egregious? Any other consideration than the specs above?

Again, many thanks for sharing your advice on this group. It is immensely helpful to newbies like me.
claude6543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 10:10 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
To be serious here, make sure you get a full sized spare, preferably on a matching factory wheel. It would probably be good to have a step or some kind for ease of entry.
Iowa Dave
Old 04-17-2023, 09:09 AM   #3

Trailer: None yet
Me personally, having owned one in the past, wouldn't buy anything but a Hemi V8
BillsCamino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 09:38 AM   #4

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by claude6543 View Post
Hello everyone, my 5.0 is on order and I am now finalizing my choice for a truck. I have had the benefit of your collective wisdom (thanks!) with respect to payload, towing capacity, axle width, powertrain, etc. I am in talks for a 2022 Ram 1500 Big Horn with following specs:

Quad
4x4
6’4" bed
3.6L V6
3.55 axle
Trailer tow package
Payload 1800
Towing capacity 6500

That would seem to be be appropriate for the 5.0. Not too much truck, but not too tight either. Am I missing anything egregious? Any other consideration than the specs above?

Again, many thanks for sharing your advice on this group. It is immensely helpful to newbies like me.
That will work great. Add bed rails for your hitch, and consider a 7 pin plug in the bed, and you’re ready to go.

Edit: a large fuel tank is nice for towing, if you have an option for a larger tank
splitting_lanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 09:51 AM   #5

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Those specs look good, and that truck will certainly work. If you anticipate doing much mountain towing you will probably be happier with the Hemi. I've been towing our 5.0 for 4 years with a 2019 Hemi and wouldn't want less power.
Old 04-18-2023, 11:39 AM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by splitting_lanes View Post
...consider a 7 pin plug in the bed,
a large fuel tank is nice for towing, if you have an option for a larger tank
Ditto for these two options. The 7pin plug in the bed was part of our hitch install and really glad we got it. Much cleaner hitching experience. While not necessary, a big fuel tank is really nice to have.

Good luck and happy towing!
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 04:00 PM   #7

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
1800 pounds is enough payload for a typical Escape 5.0TA pin weight plus a reasonable amount for passengers and other stuff in the truck. On the other hand, why is the trailer weight limited to only 6500 pounds? If it is based on Gross Combination Weight Rating being enough for only the truck's curb weight plus 6500 pounds, a loaded 5.0TA plus hitch plus you and all of your stuff may exceed that; that would presumably be limited by the engine.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 03:46 AM   #8

Trailer: 2016/ 5TA Spirit Bear
Underpowered

Payload of 1800 is great, but towing capacity of 6500 is getting on the light size. On mountain passes this could be a challenge.
Mark James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 01:11 PM   #9

Specs for truck I finally bought:
Ram 1500 Tradesman 2022 (new)
Crew cab
4x4
5.7L
3.92 axle
6.4 bed
1773 lb payload (as per door jamb sticker)
10900 towing capacity (as per Ram towing chart for these specs; may be less but will still be plenty!)

Many thanks to all for your great advice. This group is immensely useful.

Claude
Old 04-22-2023, 01:33 PM   #10

Trailer: 2016/ 5TA Spirit Bear
Specs

Perfect specs for towing a 5. Enjoy
Mark James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 01:53 PM   #11
Site Team

That truck will serve you well!
Old 04-26-2023, 01:37 PM   #12

Trailer: Ordering ‘21 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by claude6543 View Post

Quad
4x4
6’4" bed
3.6L V6
3.55 axle
Trailer tow package
Payload 1800
Towing capacity 6500

I posted this a while back in another thread but basically the V6 and the Big Horn trim gives you "room" with regards to not exceeding the GVWR on a Ram...

We have a 2019 Ram Limited with the hemi.. You may know that this truck has the air suspension standard. It came with the brake controller but we had to have the gooseneck hitch added at a local trailer shop. We chose the B&W turnover ball gooseneck ball system. It is just awesome and does not interfere with normal use of the truck bed. We also have a BedRug (10 out of 10) in it with a flap cut to cover the turnover ball so it truly is “invisible” when not being used.

Our particular Ram has about 1320 lbs of GVWR capacity. Actually a bit less with the turnover ball system (~75lbs) installed. Further, when I took it to local scales with me in it (200lbs…��) and about 2/3 of a tank of gas, I ended up figuring I had about 925 lbs of capacity left. I have not had my 2020, 5.0 trailer weighed to determine the pin weight but I’ve figured it at 625 leaving 300 lbs for passenger and some stuff. I’m careful to only add weight directly over the axles in the 5.0 trailer (cases of water and beer...). We use the Andersen Ultimate hitch and it further subtracts 35lbs. It’s all very close with the Ram’s but I knew this going in!!

It’s my best and honest effort to not exceed GVWR. I’m quite sure there may be days where I could be +/- 200 lbs. especially with a full gas tank. I drive it like an old man and typically never exceed 70mph. I am sure there is a safety factor built in (here comes all the comments/love!!!). I routinely and regularly get 14 mpg and it tows like a dream. It is smooth and the braking has NEVER scared me. We moved up to this trailer from a Casita like so many others on this forum. Interestingly, we only got about 12.5mpg when pulling the Casita. I guess this all has to due with aerodynamics as air comes over the cab and immediately continues across the top of the 5.0 without spilling through the bed and hitting the front of the Casita.
Your Ram will be fine!!!
Oh forgot to make my point about the air suspension. It’s awesome in that it levels the truck and it all runs without the common “V” look on many setups. However, the B&W hitch will NOT work with trucks that have had 3rd party airbags added. The installer spent a bunch of time with B&W tech support trying to understand the “without airbags” in the installation instructors. Just an FYI. That is all…carry on.
Colorado Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 03:08 PM   #13

Trailer: 2017 19' Escape "Cattyshack"
We bought a 2022 2500 gas Ram 6.4 L. Having had smaller V8 trucks and having issues going up big passes out West we just prefer having the increased towing capacity and power. We have a Escape 19 but never know if we might want something bigger in the future. Now we're ready for most anything.
NCopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 04:33 PM   #14

Colorado Kirk: Many thanks for the very useful info. I take good note of your choice of the B&W turnover ball gooseneck ball system. I am hesitating between the rail or gooseneck mount for the Andersen hitch, so happy to read that your combination works well. Being able to fully use the truck when not hauling is indeed a major consideration for me.
Old 04-26-2023, 07:36 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Kirk View Post
We chose the B&W turnover ball gooseneck ball system. It is just awesome and does not interfere with normal use of the truck bed. We also have a BedRug (10 out of 10) in it with a flap cut to cover the turnover ball so it truly is “invisible” when not being used.
We use the B&W turnover ball as well mated to the Andersen Ultimate hitch as well. Probably a $300 or so more than going the rail route but way more clean and convenient. To level everything out, we use Roadmaster Road Active Suspension springs.

As others have said, the 5.0 is a breeze to tow. If you can swing it, the 5.0 gets my vote.
Old 04-26-2023, 08:06 PM   #16

Trailer: 21 foot 5.0 fifth wheel 2017
I use that same truck pulling my 5.0 for 4 years now, works great
Michael.Chadwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 10:22 PM   #17

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0 TA
I had installed Timber Grove air bags in my 2020 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel prior to purchasing our 5.0. Trademasters in Chilliwack, BC installed the turnover ball and Andersen hitch for me and never mentioned any issues installing the turnover ball. I think my Ecodiesel is just the same Bighorn truck with a different engine. Maybe something has changed in the way they are building the truck on this model year. The Timber Grove air bags go right in the same spot as your current bump stops though so maybe that makes it OK to install the turnover ball.
Camper Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 01:42 PM   #18
Site Team

We use the Roadmaster Active Suspension. Seems to work well once you dial in the right tension for your use case.

https://www.etrailer.com/Vehicle-Sus...S/RAS54FR.html
Old 05-04-2023, 03:15 PM   #19

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark James View Post
Payload of 1800 is great, but towing capacity of 6500 is getting on the light size. On mountain passes this could be a challenge.
Rated towing capacity has very little to do with engine power, so being close to the limit says essentially nothing about climbing mountain passes.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5.0ta tow, ram 1500, specs