Ranger 5.0 TA hitch setup - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-16-2020, 08:23 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Ranger 5.0 TA hitch setup

We plan on buying a 2021 Ranger. Based on my brother's experience towing his 25' Airstream with a 2020 I am confident of the Ranger's capability. Now on to my question:
As I have not found a hitch supplier that makes the frame pieces for a Ranger, how have any of you mounted the hitch rails, no matter what make hitch? Way back I fabricated pieces for an older Ranger when we had a 21' Sunline 5th wheel. It was a great combination that worked well. Unfortunately I don't have the fabrication equipment I once did and do not want to make things more complicated than necessary.

Tom
Tom&Joan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 10:29 PM   #2

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Generally hitch manufacturers don't make model-specific frame brackets for any of the mid-size trucks (Tacoma, Frontier, Colorado/Canyon, or Ranger) so owners of those trucks typically still do an installation - or more frequently get it done by a hitch shop - using generic or custom-fabricated brackets as you did for the older Ranger.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 07:55 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Generally hitch manufacturers don't make model-specific frame brackets for any of the mid-size trucks (Tacoma, Frontier, Colorado/Canyon, or Ranger) so owners of those trucks typically still do an installation - or more frequently get it done by a hitch shop - using generic or custom-fabricated brackets as you did for the older Ranger.
Brian, my research confirm this, which is what I expected, just too little call for any fifth wheel towing in the smaller trucks. Just hoping in the end someone may be able to point me to generic rails that may make my job easier. As far as getting a hitch shop to do the work I can still weld better than the only local one I know of. I have pride in my work, and it shows up in my work.
Tom&Joan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 06:01 PM   #4

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom&Joan View Post
We plan on buying a 2021 Ranger.

As I have not found a hitch supplier that makes the frame pieces for a Ranger, how have any of you mounted the hitch rails, no matter what make hitch?
I have the F150. We did not do the "custom" brackets designed for the F150, they are designed to be mounted closer to the cab than I wanted. We ordered the "Universal Kit" from etrailer (Reece Universal Base Rails and Installation Kit #RP30035). We also ordered another set of just Universal brackets and hardware in case we needed to create a more custom installation. That bracket kit was "Husky Universal Mounting Bracked Kit #HT31563 - this kit is only brackets and hardware, not the rails. We did not need to use any of the parts in the Husky kit and returned them for a full refund.

I wanted the center of the rails to be at least 32 inches and not more than 35 inches behind the cab and the Reese kit worked for that without drilling holes. If I were to redo it I would want to have the center 34" behind the cab. The Husky brackets may make that without drilling holes, otherwise I would drill holes to accomplish that distance. The reason I would want to be at 34" is because my tailgate is very close to hitting the back of the Kingpin (about an inch). This hasn't happened and we have been in many different configurations, but I think an additional inch or two would be best.
Attached Thumbnails
Bed of truck with Andersen Ultimate IMG_20200604_165224.jpg   Hitched w tailgate down IMG_20200605_095625.jpg   Bed of truck loaded IMG_20200604_170307.jpg  
Old 07-15-2021, 08:49 AM   #5

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Hi Ronn, we've pretty much decided to go with the 5.0ta (with our Ranger XLT), but I've never used a 5th wheel, so some of the terms and concepts are foreign to me. You sound pretty knowledgeable, so I hope you don't mind sharing your experience.

It looks like our first step to getting a 5th wheel hitch installed (we are looking at the Andersen Ultimate, which seems popular here), is to get some sort of rail system installed in the Ranger's bed (6' box). I understand you don't have a Ranger and may not be able to recommend the best option, but I'm more curious about the rail installation. This something that is installed through the truck's bed and into the frame beneath, correct? Is there more to this than finding rails that would fit in our truck bed?
Thanks!
AuthorSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 02:30 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp 19, Tradewinds 24, Escape 5.0
The rails are universal and most good trailer shops should be able to make it work for you with a universal kit. Even the universal kit is a bolt on unit, so you don’t have to find someone with good welding skills.

We used a custom kit on our F150 and a universal kit on our Frontier. The shop that did our F150 would not do our Frontier because it was not a listed application on the box of the kit. We found a better shop.

With a 6’ bed you shouldn’t have to be picky about placement and right over the axles should work great. That is the standard location.

Escape has diagrams on clearances. You can study those with your installer to make sure everything will fit well.
Keith3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 02:51 PM   #7

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Glad to help
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuthorSP View Post
It looks like our first step to getting a 5th wheel hitch installed (we are looking at the Andersen Ultimate, which seems popular here)
Yes, I would recommend the Andersen Ultimate,
is to get some sort of rail system installed in the Ranger's bed (6' box). I understand you don't have a Ranger and may not be able to recommend the best option, but I'm more curious about the rail installation. This something that is installed through the truck's bed and into the frame beneath, correct?

Yes, the rails are bolted to brackets that are bolted to the frame. I used universal brackets as I wanted the placement a little further back from the custom brackets location. We didn't need to drill any holes in the frame, but your experience may be different.

Is there more to this than finding rails that would fit in our truck bed?the rails are all the same, the difference is in the brackets that go under the truck bed and bolt to the frame. You'll likely order universal brackets, I ordered two different ones and planned to make one out of the two or return one. I ended up being able to use just one and returned the other.
Old 07-15-2021, 05:14 PM   #8

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronn View Post
I have the F150. We did not do the "custom" brackets designed for the F150, they are designed to be mounted closer to the cab than I wanted. We ordered the "Universal Kit" from etrailer (Reece Universal Base Rails and Installation Kit #RP30035). We also ordered another set of just Universal brackets and hardware in case we needed to create a more custom installation. That bracket kit was "Husky Universal Mounting Bracked Kit #HT31563 - this kit is only brackets and hardware, not the rails. We did not need to use any of the parts in the Husky kit and returned them for a full refund.

I wanted the center of the rails to be at least 32 inches and not more than 35 inches behind the cab and the Reese kit worked for that without drilling holes. If I were to redo it I would want to have the center 34" behind the cab. The Husky brackets may make that without drilling holes, otherwise I would drill holes to accomplish that distance. The reason I would want to be at 34" is because my tailgate is very close to hitting the back of the Kingpin (about an inch). This hasn't happened and we have been in many different configurations, but I think an additional inch or two would be best.
What bed size in your F150 Ronn?
Old 07-15-2021, 05:49 PM   #9

Thanks, Ronn!
Old 07-15-2021, 07:32 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom&Joan View Post
We plan on buying a 2021 Ranger. Based on my brother's experience towing his 25' Airstream with a 2020 I am confident of the Ranger's capability. Now on to my question:
As I have not found a hitch supplier that makes the frame pieces for a Ranger, how have any of you mounted the hitch rails, no matter what make hitch? Way back I fabricated pieces for an older Ranger when we had a 21' Sunline 5th wheel. It was a great combination that worked well. Unfortunately I don't have the fabrication equipment I once did and do not want to make things more complicated than necessary.

Tom
I have a 2019 Ford Ranger and tow a 5.0TA with it. I had the rails and an Anderson Hitch installed at Trademasters just up the road from the Escape Trailers factory. Mine was the first new model Ranger that they had installed 5th wheel hitch rails in. They made custom frame supports for the rails. I don’t know if they kept the specifications for the frame supports they made for my installation and or wether they would make a set and sell them. You would have to contact them for that information.
On a side note: I’m in my second season of towing the 5.0 and have not had any problems whatsoever with the Ranger or the hitch. I live in British Columbia Canada so everywhere I tow is mountainous.
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 07:37 PM   #11

Great info, thank you!