Real world weights of the 19' new generation - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 12-04-2017, 05:40 AM   #1

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Real world weights of the 19' new generation

I looking for the average weight of the 19' loaded for a trip.

I know fiberglass Rv has lots of traveling weights of the 19 foot escape But i believe most of them our the 1st generation.

If you know your traveling weight please post
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 06:50 AM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Comparing the specs between the classic and the 2nd gen 19', the trailer has gained 340lbs of weight. Perhaps that will help if you are checking the Real Weights at FiberglassRV.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 07:35 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Weights are subject to what individual folks carry. You could easily add a few hundred pounds taking stuff "just in case", something folks travelling for long periods might have. Folks going for a set time, like a weekend or even two weeks, usually have a good idea what they are up too, and can pack just what they know they will need.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 10:52 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
and I believe someone mentioned and I concur that the new 19 weighs close to old style 21, which in my case was 3800# axle and 500# on tongue. My 19 tongue weight is a little lower, 435# currently.
Old 12-04-2017, 11:11 AM   #5

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Everyone's idea of what is a necessity when packing for a trip is different so the listed weights are all over the map
I am basically lazy so I just use the trailers listed GVWR.
In the case of the Escape 19 , Escape lists the GVWR at 5000 lbs and I believe them so 5000 it is
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 12:07 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 19'
we have 3550# plus 450# tongue but that's just one weight.. I suspect it's slightly different every trip (the tongue weight goes between 400 and 450)
caddoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 02:34 PM   #7

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Using the GVWR is a reasonable and conservative approach, but it's also very arbitrary. There is nothing requiring you to carry stuff and no alarm which sounds when you hit the GVWR, so counting on GVWR without weighing means the trailer could be much lighter or even much heavier, depending on options and what you choose to carry.

Other manufacturers often set the GVWR at the axle capacity, so they end up with silliness like the numbers at Bigfoot: three models of 17-foot trailer vary by a couple hundred pounds in base dry weight, but all have the same GVWR, and all of the 21-foot and 25-foot models have the same pair of 3500 pound axles (plus an allowance for tongue weight) so they all have a 7500 pound GVWR... yet to reach that with the 25B21RB model would mean carrying 3295 pounds of options, fluids, and cargo!

Yes, you can plan on 5000 pounds for an Escape 19', but you don't need to. Add two or three hundred pounds to first-generation 19' loaded weights to see what the same owners would likely load a second-generation 19' to.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 03:11 PM   #8

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
For insurance purposes my insurance company uses the GVWR.
From a practical standpoint no one weighs their trailer everytime they add or subtract something to or from their trailer.
I agree my method is arbitrary but it it is no less accurate than taking the average weight from some non scientific random survey.
I also select my tow vehicle based on the GVWR.
As I was told by my insurance "We have no intention of weighing your trailer every time you leave town , we assume the GVWR is correct.
The theory that if I pack REALLY LIGHT I can get by with a nominal tow vehicle never appealed to me
I would be willing to bet that if you weighed most trailers, they would be considerably heavier than their owner's estimate.

My trailer has a GVWR of 3500 lbs
The actual travel weight of my trailer is 3200 to 3400 lbs
I plan for the worst and am seldom disappointed.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 03:13 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post

I looking for the average weight of the 19' loaded for a trip.

I know fiberglass Rv has lots of traveling weights of the 19 foot escape But i believe most of them our the 1st generation.

If you know your traveling weight please post
A pretty average weight for the Classic 19' is 3700 lbs. ---give or take a few hundred depending upon your family! If you add the 340 lbs. that Donna mentions from the new generation weighing that much more to start, that gives you an idea. You will need to take your unit out fully loaded and weigh it at a truck scale, which you probably already know, and then determine your tongue weight needed of 10-15%.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 04:06 PM   #10

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
From a practical standpoint no one weighs their trailer everytime they add or subtract something to or from their trailer.
True, but lots of people weigh occasionally and pack pretty consistently, so they know their trailer weight to a reasonable degree of accuracy.

Quote:
I agree my method is arbitrary but it it is no less accurate than taking the average weight from some non scientific random survey.
Accurate? The GVWR is definitely the GVWR, it's a reasonable guess at the upper limit for the majority of individual trailers which are assigned that GVWR, and has little other relationship to the actual weight of the trailer. I agree that it has some use as a planning value, in addition to being an operating limit.

The scale values from a small and biased survey of some actual trailers is a pretty accurate indication of the loaded weight of those trailers, and reasonable guess at the weight of other similar trailers.

Quote:
For insurance purposes my insurance company uses the GVWR.
As I was told by my insurance "We have no intention of weighing your trailer every time you leave town , we assume the GVWR is correct.
By "correct", they mean that you will ensure that you do not load the trailer beyond that value, and if you do then you will take responsibility. This is all about liability, not actual weight.

Registered GVWR is similar: a vehicle may never get close to its registered GVWR or GCWR, or it may run up to that limit all of the time, but the value is a licensing limitation not an estimate of actual weight.

Quote:
The theory that if I pack REALLY LIGHT I can get by with a nominal tow vehicle never appealed to me
I don't think anyone is suggesting that - I certainly wasn't. The real-world weights asked for in this thread are not for "really light" trailers; they're for typical trailers.

Quote:
I would be willing to bet that if you weighed most trailers, they would be considerably heavier than their owner's estimate.
Of estimates not based on a scale measurement, absolutely. This shows up anecdotally in these forums routinely. I'm sure the request was for actual known weights, not wild guesses.

Quote:
My trailer has a GVWR of 3500 lbs
The actual travel weight of my trailer is 3200 to 3400 lbs
And that's typical for a 17-foot single-axle trailer. The Escape 19' has two of the same axles, with GAWR depending on year; Bigfoot would give it a 7500 pound GVWR... but it's nowhere near twice as heavy as a 17'. Some trailers are notorious for being heavier than they should be for their specs or their components, others are relatively light.... and the GVWR value by itself misses this entirely.

Quote:
I plan for the worst and am seldom disappointed.
Planning for the worst would mean planning for the 10,000 pounds or so which would burst the tires and let you know that the weight is that high, because there's nothing that stops your trailer from exceeding GVWR. Planning should be all about plausible estimates and reasonable margins, not "the worst". If you really plan for the worst, you should plan for your tow vehicle to be loaded to its maximum payload (perhaps including tongue weight), which in most cases substantially reduces the available trailer weight. If you carry a lot of stuff, that's a reasonable approach; for someone who travels without a half-ton of stuff in the tug, that's a worst case that doesn't need to be accommodated.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 04:29 PM   #11

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Borrowed from Jon's spreadsheet, 6th column is the total weight.

Keep in mind the 19 can hold 73 gallons in the tanks, anywhere up to 584 lbs.
Attached Thumbnails
trailer weights.jpg