rear air shocks - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 08-28-2017, 08:04 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I mounted mine (two separate valves, like Cypher) on a bracket right on the hitch receiver frame, which is readily accessible with my van.

The bags usually have a minimum pressure of 5 PSI and a maximum of 30 PSI. The inflation device is normally just an ordinary tire valve. That means any tire pressure gauge works fine.
Let me know when you find a regular pen type tire gauge that will read 5 psi correctly and allow for accurate deflation. There are 2 valves not one and no not just any gauge will work.

OP Check here https://www.etrailer.com/tv-install-...ner-f4135.aspx Oh and here https://www.etrailer.com/Vehicle-Sus...one/F4135.html

http://riderite.com/vehicle-search?y...er&make=Toyota

http://riderite.com/-/media/www/ride...lManual_EN.pdf

Specs:
  • Load-leveling capacity: at least 500 lbs (at most 1,000 lbs)
    • Coil-Rite springs will not increase your vehicle's weight-carrying capacity. Do not exceed the manufacturer's recommended weight limit.
  • Adjustable air pressure: 5 psi to 35 psi
  • Limited lifetime warranty on air springs
  • 2-Year limited warranty on hardware

OP Talk to your installer and read the instructions for your setup and experiment I know I change my air pressure depending on my tongue weight and truck weight etc.

Cypher
Cypherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 01:33 PM   #22

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mucram View Post
Thanks Arnie. Helpful advice. Tom said inflator thingy would be installed by hitch for easy accessibility. Said I need a low pressure gauge to test. Any thoughts on that?
I found a low pressure dial type gage at my local auto parts store. A dial gage will give you a more accurate reading than a pen style gage.
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 02:12 PM   #23

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by arniesea View Post
I found a low pressure dial type gage at my local auto parts store. A dial gage will give you a more accurate reading than a pen style gage.
I would think the best gauge (for everything nowadays) would be a digital tire pressure gauge. They are relatively cheap and some work good with eyes that don't see as well as they used to.
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 04:42 PM   #24

Trailer: 2013, 17B 'Mini Pearl' and a 2010 Highlander
i use these air bags on my truck.
I don't use an air gauge.
I use the measure from the ground to the bottom of the fender lip on each side.
Old 08-28-2017, 06:27 PM   #25

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypherian View Post
Let me know when you find a regular pen type tire gauge that will read 5 psi correctly and allow for accurate deflation.
The gauge only needs to be accurate enough to avoid overinflation (right in the normal operating range for passenger car tire gauges), and to reproduce the setting that the user has found works in previous uses (I used about 20 psi). The 5 psi minimum isn't a precise thing - just keep some air in them so they don't flop around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypherian View Post
Oh look at that they go to 35 PSI on his model.
I have Coil-Rite bags. It appears that their maximum inflation pressure may have changed in the last decade. One should of course read the instructions for your own equipment, but 30 psi is close enough to get a suitable gauge - you're just not looking for one psi gauge or a hundred psi gauge.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 07:42 PM   #26

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I have installed these on both my Rams, the first one I used 2 valves, the second time a "T" with one valve. The part about using 2 valves will prevent losing both sides does not make sense to me as if I lose one side I would want the other side to drop also. Having air on one side only could create a dangerous towing scenario so I want both bags to be either "on" or "off", not 1/2 off. Just my opinion.
I use a short pressure gauge seen here https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Images

Old 08-29-2017, 06:03 PM   #27

Trailer: 2013, 17B 'Mini Pearl' and a 2010 Highlander
Funny how we see the same thing differently.
I like the two fill hoses because my truck had a slight lean to one side when the camper was put in. And I could compensate for that. I see trucks with small leans all the time. Guess I'm picky.
I also imagined that in a maneuver that shifted the weight to one side, the connected bags could push air from the heavy high pressure side to the light side and add to the tilt.
Anyways, your mileage may vary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-29-2017, 06:22 PM   #28

Trailer: 2018 19'
I'll have to check gauge on my bike pump as that is probably what will be used to fill these. Thanks for everyone's help. Julie
Mucram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 02:57 PM   #29

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxoco View Post
Funny how we see the same thing differently.
I like the two fill hoses because my truck had a slight lean to one side when the camper was put in. And I could compensate for that. I see trucks with small leans all the time. Guess I'm picky.
I also imagined that in a maneuver that shifted the weight to one side, the connected bags could push air from the heavy high pressure side to the light side and add to the tilt.
Anyways, your mileage may vary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The pressure would equalize within the whole system, would not be higher in 1 side unless a check where installed between the 2 bags. If it was crooked to start and you add weight it'll be lower but still crooked. 2 fill valves the way to go to keep things level.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 11:40 AM   #30

Trailer: 2017 19
Did the Sumo suspension make the suspension feel harsher when driving unloaded? Thanks
Kevinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 12:36 PM   #31

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinc View Post
Did the Sumo suspension make the suspension feel harsher when driving unloaded? Thanks
We put the blue sumo springs in our 2917 Tacoma and they did not make it feel harsher. The Sumo springs come in different weight carrying capacities (are color coded) and the black ones may cause harshness. The blue version made the suspension feel firmer, but not harsh at all.
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 12:59 PM   #32

Thanks for your help
Old 10-30-2017, 02:20 PM   #33

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
I also put the blue Sumo Springs on my 2010 F 150 and noticed a difference immediately. The SUMO Springs almost touch the axle, maybe 1/8" above it and on any bump will provide support even when the truck is unloaded. It isn't harsh though. The truck settles into them when I lower the Anderson (fifth wheel) Hitch onto the bed and it drops about an inch and a half or so. I'm very happy with the SUMO Springs and my belief, for a truck, is that the air shocks are unnecessarily complicated.
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 04:56 PM   #34

Trailer: Escape 1721
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFDavis50 View Post
I also put the blue Sumo Springs on my 2010 F 150 and noticed a difference immediately. The SUMO Springs almost touch the axle, maybe 1/8" above it and on any bump will provide support even when the truck is unloaded. It isn't harsh though.
I also added the blue Sumo Springs to a Tacoma and found that like your tuck, the spring was close to or touching the frame while parked. I did have a camper shell on the back, so I'm guessing the extra camper weight caused the closeness. After instillation, I immediately noticed a bounce I hadn't experienced before. Because of the small space between the frame and spring, it seemed to bounce more. In an effort to reduce the bounce and allow the truck springs to work as intended, I cut the top rib of the Sumo Spring off. This alleviated the bounce, but still provided the extra support when towing or hauling heavy loads in the bed. I'm not sure if I messed-up the spring, but it seemed to eliminate the bounce while decreasing sag when towing.
rotateclockwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 05:23 PM   #35

Thanks for the info.
Old 10-30-2017, 05:26 PM   #36

Thanks for the info. I’m not crazy about adding a “bounce”. I use my Tacoma off road a lot when not towing a trailer and love the current TRD Bilstine suspension. I don’t want to mess that up.
Old 10-30-2017, 06:20 PM   #37

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21 2002 Tundra 4x4 V-8 tow package.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinc View Post
Thanks for the info. I’m not crazy about adding a “bounce”. I use my Tacoma off road a lot when not towing a trailer and love the current TRD Bilstine suspension. I don’t want to mess that up.
I installed Sumo springs and replaced the Bilstiens at the same time on my 2002 Tundra. The gap between the frame and the top Sumo is about 5/8 " Close. I did not notice any bounce when unloaded, but I drive very tame when off road, just trying to get there. When hooking up my 21' the drop is very little, I measured but can't remember. It starts a little high and ends a little low, just right. After 2 years I'm very happy with Sumo's. With all the options out there I have no buyers remorse.
craiginpetaluma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 06:59 PM   #38

Thanks Craig.
Old 10-30-2017, 08:44 PM   #39

Trailer: 2018 19'
Update. The coil rite air bags are working as promised. Much smoother ride while towing.
Mucram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 12:07 AM   #40

Thanks