Rear cam & side mirrors = confusion backing up. - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-25-2017, 10:24 AM   #1

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Unhappy Rear cam & side mirrors = confusion backing up.

Rear cam backing up tips?

Hi all

Slightly embarrassed to ask this - but I bet I get some good tips below.

So for backing into a campsite with our Casita (no backup cam) I knew to only use the tug’s side mirrors, and to put my hand on the BOTTOM of the steering wheel, and to move my hand in the direction I wanted the back of the Casita to go, as seen in the side view mirrors.

However now that we have the ETI installed rear view camera - on our 21’ escape - - I find my pea brain overloaded, and I get confused when I look at both the side mirrors and also the rear camera.

Now the rear camera offers much more information, and I would prefer to rely mostly on the rear view camera, as my awesome wife has the hand signals perfected,

But I somehow now feel that my habit of “hand on the bottom of the steering wheel and move my hand in the direction I want the back of the trailer to go” no longer works.

My brain gets very confused now when backing into a spot.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks.

John.
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 11:32 AM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
That was one of the surprises when I first had a backup camera on the back of a trailer. I'd expected that it'd be what I totally used when backing into a spot. But I don't use it that way. I still use my side mirrors to judge my side-to-side positioning etc. I find that I use the camera separately and selectively. More like, pause, look at monitor to see how close I'm getting to any objects directly behind me and then move backwards while using the mirrors again. There's no right or wrong I guess, just what works for you.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 12:57 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
That was one of the surprises when I first had a backup camera on the back of a trailer. I'd expected that it'd be what I totally used when backing into a spot. But I don't use it that way. I still use my side mirrors to judge my side-to-side positioning etc. I find that I use the camera separately and selectively. More like, pause, look at monitor to see how close I'm getting to any objects directly behind me and then move backwards while using the mirrors again. There's no right or wrong I guess, just what works for you.

Ron
I do pretty much the same. Mirrors & "get out & look" for backing into a site, and the camera only to make sure I'm not getting too close to anything behind me.

My primary use for the camera is as a rear view mirror when driving, and, since I travel solo, to check behind me if I need to back up in a gas station or parking lot to check that someone hasn't stepped in (or parked a shopping cart) behind the trailer while I climbed into the truck.
Old 11-25-2017, 02:02 PM   #4

Thanks Ron and Jon for the good thoughts.

The main issue is backing into our narrow driveway at home

The side mirrors don’t tell me hardly anything and my wife is behind the escape guiding me in with hand signals.

So I guess my main question is - when using the backup camera - where do I grab the steering wheel to have hand motions match how I want to move the rear of the escape?

(When using side mirrors it Ian the bottom of the steering wheel)

I should take the time to go to a big parking lot and figure it out myself, I know.

Thanks.

John.
Old 11-25-2017, 03:02 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I don't think anything changes. If you want the rear of the trailer to go left, you move your hand ( at the bottom of the wheel ) to the left.
Old 11-25-2017, 03:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I don't think anything changes. If you want the rear of the trailer to go left, you move your hand ( at the bottom of the wheel ) to the left.
Ah. Of course. Makes perfect sense.

Maybe I should put reminders on each side of the backup screen display.

Somehow my brain gets confused regardless.

John.
Old 11-25-2017, 04:43 PM   #7

Just don't look at the camera display unless you need to. Look at your mirrors. If you've got out and checked the area and noted any obstructions, you should be able to see those in your mirror and avoid them. When you know you are close to that tree that you are backing up to, check the camera.
Old 11-25-2017, 06:09 PM   #8

Trailer: 2019 F150 eco boost with 2017 5.0 TA in tow
If I was buying my trailer now, I would save my money and forget the rear view camera!
RicVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 06:25 PM   #9

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post
So I guess my main question is - when using the backup camera - where do I grab the steering wheel to have hand motions match how I want to move the rear of the escape?
Why would you need to change your method? The trailer is still gonna move the same way, regardless of how you're looking at your sides and back end of the trailer. Your trailer doesn't know if you're using a rear view/back up camera or helpful wife.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 07:05 PM   #10

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
That is what I do . Use the rear camera to not hit anything behind me . But use the mirrors when backing up . If trying to get trailer in it's spot at home the driver side mirror is what I use most because I am following a line in the concrete. Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 07:23 PM   #11

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
Ricvic, can you say more about why you'd forego the camera? Do you use it when you are on the road?
Old 11-25-2017, 08:12 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
I can't use my mirrors backing into our tight car port, so it's nice having the back-up camera. When I have a spotter, for some reason I have difficulty converting hand signals into steering direction. Brain fade of some sort. However, when I have my spotter speak right or left, it's no problem. It's nice that the camera/monitor combo has mic/speaker.
cvanzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 08:19 PM   #13

My buddy would try to demonstrate which way to turn the steering wheel. I was viewing him in the mirror. I finally told him to stop. Told him to just point the direction he wanted the rear of the trailer to go.
With my hand at the bottom of the steering wheel, it was so much easier.
Old 11-25-2017, 08:37 PM   #14

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 T
I found it a big mistake to use the camera backing. I never had trouble with mirrors before so I shut the camera off in my head
Lee.Artman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 08:58 PM   #15

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 "Mitt-Inn"
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicVic View Post
If I was buying my trailer now, I would save my money and forget the rear view camera!
I agree. I was pretty excited about the camera at first, but it turns out that it isn't really useful to us. Between Jan's directions and the Cipa clamp-on towing mirrors, it's all the information I need. We DO drive with the camera on, but the mirrors pretty much pick up everything that I need to see back there.
J&B Mitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 09:00 PM   #16

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Like to see when driving what is behind us so that is mostly the camera's use . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 10:24 PM   #17

Ok I figured out why I get a bit confused by the back up cam screen when backing up:

When I look in a side tug mirror - the drivers side of what is behind me is on the left in the mirror.

Yet when I look at the rear view cam screen - the drivers side of what is behind me is on the RIGHT side of the screen.

This is why I get confused.

But....

Like I said - I really do need the back up cam for getting the escape up our narrow driveway -
Because the side mirrors don’t allow me to see the hand signals from my wife. They just don’t.

I’ll have to adjust my brain

Oh and FWIIW we really do like the rear view cam. As it is super helpful in dense traffic to make sure it is safe to do a lane change - as the camera is up high and clearly shows if we can change lanes safely. Easy to see from up high.

John.
Old 11-25-2017, 10:58 PM   #18

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post
Ok I figured out why I get a bit confused by the back up cam screen when backing up:

When I look in a side tug mirror - the drivers side of what is behind me is on the left in the mirror.

Yet when I look at the rear view cam screen - the drivers side of what is behind me is on the RIGHT side of the screen.

This is why I get confused.
That's why backup cameras routinely have a reversed image, so they look like a mirror image. In some cases, this is selectable in the monitor setup configuration.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 11:47 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
That's why backup cameras routinely have a reversed image, so they look like a mirror image. In some cases, this is selectable in the monitor setup configuration.
Aha! Brilliant!

Thanks Brian

I seem to recall seeing this option on the ETI supplied rear view cam, and wondering why I would want that

Now I know!

I wonder if I may prefer that.

Thanks.
John.
Old 11-26-2017, 06:11 AM   #20

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
A friend got a set of walkie talkies as him and his wife would end up near killing each other by the time they got their 38' fifth wheel backed in. Might work better then hand signals where you can't see your partner. I suppose these days you'd just use your cell phones.