Reese SC hitch for 21 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-08-2014, 05:52 AM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Question Reese SC hitch for 21

I have a Reese SC that I that I bought for my Casita. I plan to use it on my 21. Casita was very unhelpful with installing it when I picked up my trailer. I had to put the spring bar mounts on at the truck stop up the road. It performs well with the friction built into the spring bars and automatically varying with the loading of the spring bars. I used it with my Trailblazer and my 2014 Silverado.

Has anyone out there used the SC, especially with the storage box? With the Casita the only issue was having a spot to mount the spring bar brackets. I had to tweak the propane cover around to clear it. It looks like mounting area needs to be about the same place as the Anderson brackets.

Reese SC Weight Distribution System w Sway Control - Trunnion - 10,000 lbs GTW, 600 lbs TW Reese Weight Distribution RP66151
Attached Thumbnails
RP66151_500.jpg   rpSCWDlifting_cc_500.jpg  

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 07:59 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17
Gee, I was hoping that someone would reply to this. If I get a 21' Escape, I was planning on getting the Reese 66151 for my 2014 Ford F-150 and was hoping to get some feedback on your question.

Fred M.

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 08:49 PM   #3

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
$520.00 US dollars vs $350.00 Canadian dollars for the ETI option.
That's what I'd base my decision on.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 08:58 PM   #4

The 66151 works well with the 21'. I have about 8000 miles experience with it now. The mounts for the spring bar pads come at the back of the propane cover but really don't cause a problem. The tool to snap the spring bars up and down tends to bump the propane cover a little and I occasionally have to scoot the spring bar over with my foot to get the tool engaged. Very minor issue.

Performance wise I couldn't be happier. Performs well. No bouncing, minimal noise, and trailer behaves great. I had to do a high G maneuver lane change coming through Indy and trailer stayed right in line.

I considered the Anderson strongly when I bought the Reese 66151 for the Casita, and am glad I stuck with the Reese. Another advantage, the stinger is just long enough so I can drop the tailgate and clear the jack. Also no worry when backing up. ETI set it up for me and I have not touched it since.

I am going to be moving my trailer in the next few days to its winter resting spot. I will take some pictures of the hitch and post them.

I bought it through Etrailer and later saw it online $75 cheaper somewhere else and Etrailer refunded the difference when I forwarded the info. Got it for under $400.

Zig Ziglar
Old 11-06-2015, 11:03 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Thanks for the follow-up Carl. Am deciding what to replace my Andersen with. Having had the Pro Series I can appreciate benefit the extra distance from bumper to ball can give. I know- too much distance can be a negative, yet looking for the medium whereby I can open my rear hatch more often. Also want ease of operation and know the Fastway 2 wasn't available at Escape when you and I were finalizing our build list.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 04:48 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I used one of those set ups on a SOB and did not like the noisy set up and inconvenience, sold the hitch with the trailer and stopped using a w/d except for the Andersen. It weighs a lot.....seemed counter intuitive to add 75 lbs to an overloaded set up but I understand the concept and once set up it does work. But in use it seemed on some roads with porpoising the trailer and tow vehicle were locked together and I found more things amiss inside.
Old 11-07-2015, 09:45 AM   #7

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
There have been a lot of discussions regarding the Andersen vs the Pro Series (The ETI option) and now there seems to be a new discussion about the Reese SC Weight Distribution System w Sway Control - Trunnion - 10,000 lbs GTW, 600 lbs TW Reese Weight Distribution RP66151. So far, and please correct me if I'm wrong, I've read no complaints, or returns, or exchanges, or 'had to call the head office' about the Pro Series, and I have about the other two. At the lower cost (of the three), and it's easy , hassle free use, I'd say the Pro Series is the one to consider.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 10:04 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I used one of those set ups on a SOB and did not like the noisy set up and inconvenience, sold the hitch with the trailer and stopped using a w/d except for the Andersen. It weighs a lot.....seemed counter intuitive to add 75 lbs to an overloaded set up but I understand the concept and once set up it does work. But in use it seemed on some roads with porpoising the trailer and tow vehicle were locked together and I found more things amiss inside.
Somehow I feel real comfy with that 75 lbs of solid iron keeping my baby where it belongs. I haven't had issues with stuff moving around. It's sort of like my 50 lb 300 piece tool kit that I shouldn't really need. It's nice to have the Silverado that handles all with no complaints.

Zig Ziglar
Old 11-11-2015, 07:45 PM   #9

I moved my trailer today. Attached some photos of the Reese 66151 in place. After looking at hitch I decided to move the propane tanks forward 1-1/4". Puts propane cover right agaist the jack. This gave me more room for snap up tool. Sorry no pictures of the change.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20151111_122819308.jpg   IMG_20151111_122814527.jpg   IMG_20151111_122756997.jpg  

Zig Ziglar
Old 11-12-2015, 12:41 AM   #10

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
There have been a lot of discussions regarding the Andersen vs the Pro Series (The ETI option) and now there seems to be a new discussion about the Reese SC Weight Distribution System w Sway Control - Trunnion - 10,000 lbs GTW, 600 lbs TW Reese Weight Distribution RP66151. So far, and please correct me if I'm wrong, I've read no complaints, or returns, or exchanges, or 'had to call the head office' about the Pro Series, and I have about the other two. At the lower cost (of the three), and it's easy , hassle free use, I'd say the Pro Series is the one to consider.
Hi JMac,
With your Tacoma and its long wheel base (longer than my '98 Cherokee) do you feel that you need a WDH? As far as Sway control ... I have never had a problem in anything I have towed as long as I have paid attention to the trailer/tongue weight ratio.

In January, I'll be picking up my 17A. I'm not intimated about towing over slippery wintery roads but really have no experience with WDH's. Sounds like you have a Pro series ... how come?... If I may be so direct.

Thanks,
Tom
Old 11-12-2015, 12:37 PM   #11

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingHyena View Post
Hi JMac,
With your Tacoma and its long wheel base (longer than my '98 Cherokee) do you feel that you need a WDH? As far as Sway control ... I have never had a problem in anything I have towed as long as I have paid attention to the trailer/tongue weight ratio.

In January, I'll be picking up my 17A. I'm not intimated about towing over slippery wintery roads but really have no experience with WDH's. Sounds like you have a Pro series ... how come?... If I may be so direct.

Thanks,
Tom

Hi J Mac,
I think I should clarify my question a little. Would you tow your 17 without a WDH? That was what was on my mind. I'm struggling about this WDH issue and have really decided to try without one, can always add one later .... just trying to learn more.