Replacement Tires - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 12-25-2015, 04:23 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Replacement Tires

After a little over one year and approx. 25K miles the tread on the original Carlisle tires was looking thin and knew we were headed for rainy weather. In my search for replacements I looked at Michelin LT tires- as Airstream and Oliver use them. Problem is those tires are only made for 16+" rims, which seemed out of the question. I found some slightly larger; 215/75R15 Goodyear Wrangler or Yokohama, but finally decided to stick with the stock 205/75R15 in an ST. As most know, the majority of these are now made in China, however in searching other forums I saw that Maxxis tires are rated highly and they happen to be made in Thailand.

One reason the original tires didn't last perhaps quite as long as I expected is that they are B load range, or 4-ply. Like a lot of things in the RV industry this grade is chosen to help preserve the bottom line. I respect that, and understand that economy of scale would make it difficult for any OEM to offer different grades of tires as options.

When shopping I saw that a new major chain in our area-eager to gain market share- has been willing to match all Costco pricing, including extra discounts for Executive members. They had Load range D Carlisles in stock which are 8-ply for $100. One towing an Escape doesn't need the extra load capacity of these tires, and they don't raise the recommended speed of 60 MPH while towing. Asked about Maxxis and they could get them and they did in one day. The ones I bought are the C load range 6-ply. The tread pattern & depth looks very good, and have been up the coast twice in the rain to Big Sur. Total cost(after a little grinding) was $427. They also took the best old tire and put it on my spare and fitted the wheels with extra-duty valve stems.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 05:09 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Did you have your bearings repacked also, that is what I did when replacing all 4 tires. Adjust the brakes was also done,
Old 12-25-2015, 06:10 PM   #3

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape (usetaowna a 19, a Burro and 2 Casitas)
Tires were quite a controversial topic on the Casita Forum a couple years ago. Blow out problems were disturbingly frequent, probably because of the single axle. Could be worth a peak.
Old 12-25-2015, 07:45 PM   #4

I do the bearings...did them last Spring, so will do them again before heading up to Chilliwack. If brake shoes need replacing am going to get the full backing plate with Dexter Nev-R-Adjust for $45 per wheel.

One online seller puts out information important to all new trailer brakes that many out there are probably not aware of:

To burnish the new brakes in, apply the brakes 20 to 30 times from an initial speed of 40 mph slowing the vehicle to 20 mph. Allow the brake to cool before starting the next brake application. Burnishing takes away the high lining spots, high magnet spots and machining marks on the drum surface.
Old 12-25-2015, 08:13 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: All... Had both axles serviced in Nov. My RVTech said the brakes were "Mint" but he cleaned and roughed up the shoes as well as packing the bearings. The tires also look like new. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 09:39 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
I do the bearings...did them last Spring, so will do them again before heading up to Chilliwack. If brake shoes need replacing am going to get the full backing plate with Dexter Nev-R-Adjust for $45 per wheel.

One online seller puts out information important to all new trailer brakes that many out there are probably not aware of:

To burnish the new brakes in, apply the brakes 20 to 30 times from an initial speed of 40 mph slowing the vehicle to 20 mph. Allow the brake to cool before starting the next brake application. Burnishing takes away the high lining spots, high magnet spots and machining marks on the drum surface.
Rousse getting ready to do bearings . Did adjust brakes and not enough miles yet on brake shoes . Interested in the Dexter Nev-Adjust though. Read lots on Maxis tires . I will get those . Lots of good reviews . I am use to Michelin's always on my truck . Saw that they are 16 wheels .the Oliver's and Airstreams are heavier trailers so I don't need . But these tires on trailer I don't feel good about . Already got a flat . Not used to getting flats with my tires . I think I should get a tire pressure system also . I don't know how long I was riding with flat , saw it when I got home . So the weight was on the one axle for ? Tired right now but I have some questions about the wheel bearings if you could help on that . I use to do my 1964 Chevy ,that was a long time ago , so I am rusty . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 09:58 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Rossue I didn't know Carlisle made a B rated tire in that size - at least I've never seen them for sale anywhere or in the Carlisle catalog when I was pricing tires. I've only seen C and D rated. Did yours come with a different brand of tires? I thought Carlisle had been standard for a couple of years?

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 10:20 PM   #8

Eric- see The Carlstar Group scroll down to Trailer Tire Sidewall Specifications. On our Carlisle tires it said 2 + 2 belts.
Edit: It might be that their B rated tires are only sold to OEM's for cost saving. As I said the tire store I shopped only stocked the D rated Carlisle for $100 each.
Old 12-26-2015, 07:51 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
I see my mistake, when I was shopping I only was looking at the RADIAL TRAIL RH tires, as that was what seemed to be their best one available. Carlisle does make a B rated in the bias ply SPORT TRAIL in that size. I was assuming that Escape was using the radial model on all the trailers, but apparently not. I wonder which one the 17B has now? On the the 19 and 21 with 4 tires sharing the load, the B rated tire is more than adequately load rated but I personally would rather have the tougher C ones. I bought D's for my 17B when I replaced those.

I think when we get to start on a 21 I'll ask if paying extra for the radial model is possible when doing the build sheet.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-26-2015, 08:16 AM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Eric,

When we got our trailer we asked about different tires because I liked the BF Goodridch tires that came on our 17. But was told it was not possible. When we picked up the trailer I decided to switch the spare to a chrome rim, and it took about 5 minutes. So my guess is that ETI has a bunch of tire mounted on rims and it would be hard to make an exception. Given that Rossue's tires were thin, I am going to double check mine before we leave in Jan. I think we are just under 20k miles.
Old 12-26-2015, 08:26 AM   #11

Leon, it will be interesting to see which model Carlisle you have on The Skylark.

From what Reace told me when I was tire shopping, he has switched to all Carlisle from Goodyear due to a huge rise in Goodyear prices. If they use C rated on the 17B still, I am hoping that that might be an easy switch onto the 21 as they should have lots of those mounted in stock.

Old 12-26-2015, 08:32 AM   #12

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
Replacement tires

When I ordered the 21 I specified Michelins at $50 each extra, ouch. I had excellent luck with them on a Airstream some years ago and again on our Escape 19 so I went for them. I never keep track of miles on a trailer, but after two trips to Canada, once to Texas, once to Oregon and many California trips I am sure we are well over 25000 miles and the tires are in very good condition in my opinion and I change tires well before getting to the wear bar. I think the $50 was well spent.
Jack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 08:37 AM   #13

Jack which Michelin's did you get?

Old 12-26-2015, 08:43 AM   #14

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I plan on just going with whatever Escape is putting on at the time, and 7 years later (assuming the time factor expires before the tread), just worry about what to replace with then. While I am a fan of going with the best quality in some cases, with trailer tires adequate quality is good enough for me.

I have used Carlisle many times before, and have never had an issue with them.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 08:57 AM   #15

Jim after my blowout experience on a busy highway l've gotten more paranoid I think

Old 12-26-2015, 09:46 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I plan on just going with whatever Escape is putting on at the time, and 7 years later (assuming the time factor expires before the tread), just worry about what to replace with then. While I am a fan of going with the best quality in some cases, with trailer tires adequate quality is good enough for me.

I have used Carlisle many times before, and have never had an issue with them.
Would be surprised if you had any choice. To be clear I think Carlisle tires are fine, and didn't have any problems. Thought I would switch brands, and the D load tires will weigh more.

Am curious if those with newer 17's have the same 4-ply Carlisle tires. It's printed on the sidewall. Am thinking they are and that ETI gets all their tires pre-mounted.
Old 12-26-2015, 10:03 AM   #17

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Am thinking they are and that ETI gets all their tires pre-mounted.
I hadn't thought about it, but imagine they would. They could get a much better deal that way. I watched Princess Auto for a sale on mounted Carlisle 15" radials, and sure enough, they came in sale cheaper than I could buy new ones installed for.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 10:05 AM   #18

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
Tires Starts with M

I'd better pay attention to what I'm saying. My tires are Goodyear Marathons not Michelin as my Jeep has. Too many things about vehicles right now, as we got ready to run up to Phoenix Thursday the Jeep battery was nearly dead, after only 5 years.
Charged it and jump assist and we took off and didn't shut it off until reaching Phoenix and picking up a new battery. I'm thinking about a new tow vehicle after Quartzite and can't find anything I like better than another Grand Cherokee with the Hemi. My 2011 GC will have over 90000 miles then with ext. warranty to 100000.
Someone will get a good used vehicle and we 'll get a new one to last us forever.
I'll even have a new set of Michelin tires to go with my Marathons on the Escape.
Jack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 10:48 AM   #19

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Am curious if those with newer 17's have the same 4-ply Carlisle tires. It's printed on the sidewall. Am thinking they are and that ETI gets all their tires pre-mounted.
Our 2015 (Sept. model) 17A has Carlisle Radial Trail load range C, 4 ply tread, 2 ply sidewalls ( ST205/75 R15 ).
I have a utility trailer with Carlisles that have been overloaded, run on farm roads, and generally abused; they doing great.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 10:49 AM   #20

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Quote:

Am thinking they are and that ETI gets all their tires pre-mounted.
I've been at ETI when a delivery truck came. Tires were premounted and ready to put on finished trailers.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote