Run TV Tires at Tire Max or TV Sticker Max? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 07-04-2022, 01:21 PM   #1
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
Run TV Tires at Tire Max or TV Sticker Max?

On the Ford Expedition Forum, one member there recommended that when towing a trailer, you should inflate your Expy tires to the maximum allowed on the tire sidewalls, rather than the maximum indicated on the load sticker from the manufacturer.

The door sticker on my 2013 Expy says max for all tires is 35 psi. My General Grabbers say the max tire pressure is 44 psi.

I've been running with or without trailer at 36 psi, but now I'm thinking of higher. What say you?
Old 07-04-2022, 01:23 PM   #2

Trailer: 2021 5.0 TA
40 psi
Old 07-04-2022, 01:43 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderBred View Post
40 psi
Splitting the difference, eh?
Old 07-04-2022, 02:24 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
If you pay close attention on how the vehicle feels to you when you drive, especially in rain, on gravel or on snow and ice you should be able to find your own sweet spot. This will vary by the load you’re hauling in the vehicle, tongue weight on the hitch and adjustment of your weight distributing hitch if you use one. Play with your inflation between the door sticker and the tire sidewall number. Adjust for temperature gains or losses. For me it’s not “too much to do”. It’s the feeling of security I get when things are “right”, it’s the desired tire wear, it’s the knowledge that you are in control of some critical variables. Your ability and satisfaction may be different from others and you may not be as interested in being closely “dialed in”. That’s your choice(s). Checking the tire pressure on my vehicles on most Saturday mornings along with the fluids and a walk around inspection is something I’ve done for nearly 60 years and it works. Good luck with your “set up”.
Iowa Dave
Old 07-04-2022, 10:58 PM   #5

Trailer: 2008 BigfootRV 25B21RB
The vehicle mfg specified pressure of 35 psi is based on the vehicle axles being at their specified GVWR's. The tire mfgs specified pressure of 44 psi is based on the max weight the tire is designed to carry (also specified on the side wall) and this would be at or above the axle max weight.

Unless you have some suspicion that the vehicle mfg has specified too low a tire pressure for comfort vs actual load carrying capacity, (as in the Ford Explorer debacle of a few years back) you should use the vehicle mfg specified pressure.

This is all based on the tires installed on your vehicle being the same size, type, load range, etc, as the ones originally installed. If you have installed a different size, a different type P vs LT for example, or different load range, then the vehicle manufacturers pressures are meaningless, but the sidewall max is equally meaningless. You would need to consult a tire mfg load/pressure chart to get an accurate pressure.

Charles