Sanity check on 5.0TA w/ F150 5.5' bed - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-23-2021, 09:49 AM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 16' 2017 (sold) Lance 2185 (sold) Deposit for 5.0TA
Sanity check on 5.0TA w/ F150 5.5' bed

Hey folks,

We're in the queue for a new Escape 5.0 TA, but also open to a used+inventory unit. I'd like to get our F150 SuperCREW 5.5' bed setup in the off chance we're able to get on the road earlier.

I've dug through the forum quite a bit and reviewed Escape's 5.0TA towing requirements doc. I know folks are towing w/short beds, but wanted to make sure I have a good idea on tolerances.

I'm currently planning on installing:

* B & W Turnover Gooseneck Hitch
* B & W Turnover 4" extender
* Anderson Ultimate - Gooseneck Mount

Recommended Bedrail and Tailgate Height Limit

Escape suggests 56" for a standard axle trailer. I measured exactly 56". Any folks w/a standard axle height and similar measurement getting contact on bumps/dips/etc?

Trailer to Cab Contact

The gooseneck hitch is installed 42 5/8" from the rear of the truck bed. This places the hitch 22 3/8" from cab. I believe the Anderson ball is offset 5 3/8" inches to the rear. This moves the pivot point to 27 3/4" from cab. Adding the B&W 4" extender would shift this to 31 3/4" from the cab. It sounds like most people use their Anderson adapter installed in the reverse position on the trailer, which I believe would shift the trailer 4" forward. This leaves the distance between the trailer and cab at 27 3/4".

I've heard Escape suggestions a minimum distance of 30" between the cab and kingpin, so this looks below that number. It's possible Escape has already factored in the reserve adapter position.

Curious if anyone else is using this setup and can comment on their experience? I've also assumed the turning radius is generally an issue for backing up, not moving forward.
dlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 11:56 AM   #2

Trailer: 2024 21NE F2
I'm at the point of researching tow vehicles, as my long bed 2019 Toyota Tacoma isn't up to the task of hauling an Escape 5.0.

Out of curiosity, and for my own edification, what's the advantage of a short bed pickup? Thank you.
Don Flamenco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 12:59 PM   #3

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Flamenco View Post
Out of curiosity, and for my own edification, what's the advantage of a short bed pickup? Thank you.
Shorter bed = shorter wheelbase and overall vehicle length, all other things being equal. That can improve maneuverability and parking-ease in some situations (with and without a trailer hitched).

Note that not all bed lengths ('short', 'mid', 'long') are always available with all cab configurations (regular, 'supercab', 'crew-cab'), that can vary among manufacturers.

Folks pick the cab/bed length combination to fit their wants and needs; all involve what some might consider 'compromise' (or maybe better stated as 'trade-off') of one sort or another.

Of course the owner choosing the combination that's right for them won't consider it a 'compromise' at all!
Old 04-28-2021, 01:18 PM   #4

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
I am using that exact setup on my Toyota Tundra, crew cab, short box.

I cannot turn a 90° turn but found with one exception I don't need to. I have the Anderson offset the way you stated too. Escape did that for me.

I love it and I do not have any issues with it now that I have learned (I hope)! My ball is 32" behind my cab wall.

I hope that helps.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 03:17 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Sanity cheque!!!

Hi: dlite... Everyone knows Groucho Marks was right. "There ain't no Sanity Clause". When Reace& Tammy were still around they tugged their 5.0TA with a F150 5'5" bed truck. Gave me the idea to use the Ram EcoDiesel 5'7" bed truck. A 4 dr. pickup is what you need for a groaning family!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1040903.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 06:17 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp 16' 2017 (sold) Lance 2185 (sold) Deposit for 5.0TA
Thank all! I think I made things more complicated w/this part (ignore as I don't believe it is factored in):

Quote:
It sounds like most people use their Anderson adapter installed in the reverse position on the trailer, which I believe would shift the trailer 4" forward. This leaves the distance between the trailer and cab at 27 3/4".

So, distance from front of inner truck bed w/B&W Turnover + Anderson Hitch:

* 27 3/4" from cab
* 31 3/4" w/ B&W 4" extender

Side notes:

* F150 truck bed is actually 5' 7" (not 5'6")! I kept re-measuring, then looked online and found out I wasn't alone.
* I measured from the front of the bed. There's an inch or two btw the bed and cab and the cab also slopes forward as it moves up in height. I believe there's a couple of inches more space at the top of the cab.
dlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 08:17 AM   #7

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Conventional wisdom is that 5th Wheel hitches/gooseneck balls are situated so that the pin weight/tongue weight is slightly in front of the rear axle. This is done because, as we all learned in middle school science class that a downward force (pin weight) applied to a lever (tow vehicle) will cause the other end of the lever to rise, as long as there is a fulcrum (rear axle) between either end, and the position of the fulcrum affects the amount of downward force which needs to be applied. We do not want instability or questionable road contact in the steering wheels due to a lever effect from to much weight behind the “fulcrum.”
Prior to my 5.0TA, I owned one of those Shoddily Constructed And Maintenance Plagued “pretend 5th wheel” trailers manufactured by a company in Minnesota that shall not be named. When they installed their proprietary hitch, the connection point was well behind the rear axle due to clearance requirements (so the trailer would not contact the trucks rear bumper in turns). When I divested myself of that terrible excuse for a camping trailer and bought a far superior product, I hauled it home from Chilliwack to Florida with a real 5th wheel hitch mounted on the same rails that had been installed in Minnesota. While a large stickie 5th wheel with 3,000 pounds of pin weight would likely cause the lever effect, 750 or 800 pounds of pin weight of the 5.0TA will not do so unless you also pile a ton of concrete blocks in the rear of the truck bed! While I know others who are using the Andersen Ultimate set-up with no problems, and I do not think it will end up being a concern for you, but if you are really concerned about cab to trailer clearance when turning or backing, there are many fiberglass trailer owners whose truck bed hitches are located behind the rear axle and tow without stability problems. I would just recommend using the Andersen ball in the rearmost position, and just keep an eye on the trailer as you SLOWLY make turns or back it into campsites until you become familiar with how the trailer responds/swings.