Second thoughts on the high lift axle - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-12-2020, 07:47 AM   #1

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Second thoughts on the high lift axle

second thoughts on the high lift axle .

When I did my built sheet I read all the treads and decided to go with the high lift, but I am thinking of changing it as I look at the Departure angles of the 19' . The threads are a little misleading as some of them where old when escape had a low axle. From what i could gather from those threads escape used to have low axle and had a high as a option then that high lift option was made Standard. then at some point down the road they now offer another 2 5/8" lift. witch I believe is this kit they use

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...71-707-02.html

The way i understand it is The axle clearance would be the same on either option.

I did request a drawing from ETI on axle placement on 19. after looking it over at least on the 19' model the back bumper is only 5 1/2 feet from center rear axle. I thinking this is about the same as my casita witch i towed in some hard to get places.My casita had the high lift axle . I think the stranded escape axle is as high as the lift on casita. maybe someone knows for sure?

Does any one know the clearance of the 19' axle?
this will be the same on both options

I know the trailer had a 10" clearance with low axle to the bottom of the water tank. I believe this is the lowest part of the trailer.

my first thought is this option could be easily added latter ,But if i keep the spray foam that might be a issue .

The other problem is when you add the spray foam with out the high lift axle your adding a 1 1/2" foam to the bottom of water tank to reduce the clearance even more.

what do you think?

How much lower does the water tank hang than the axle itself?
Attached Thumbnails
19' axle measurements.jpg  
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 10:23 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
From the pictures IMHO, it looks out of proportion with the lift...the stock tank with the foam is about the same as the axle beam clearance. I just went and measured mine, 9" to ground from the foam covering the fresh water low point drain.
Old 05-12-2020, 01:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
From the pictures IMHO, it looks out of proportion with the lift...the stock tank with the foam is about the same as the axle beam clearance. I just went and measured mine, 9" to ground from the foam covering the fresh water low point drain.

Thats with out the lift?
Old 05-12-2020, 01:06 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
How much lower does the water tank hang than the axle itself?
I would be less worried about the fresh water tank than I would be worried about the grey tank trap. At least on my trailer and on a few others that I have seen, the grey tank trap extends lower than the axle.

Snapping off or cracking the grey tank trap is a problem not easily fixed on the road.

Oh, fixed the trap problem by replacing it with a Hepvo valve.
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...asy-10096.html
Old 05-12-2020, 01:17 PM   #5

Just measured the waste tank coupling lower height, 9 " also with trailer level.....no lift option.
Old 05-12-2020, 01:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
I would be less worried about the fresh water tank than I would be worried about the grey tank trap. At least on my trailer and on a few others that I have seen, the grey tank trap extends lower than the axle.

Snapping off or cracking the grey tank trap is a problem not easily fixed on the road.

Oh, fixed the trap problem by replacing it with a Hepvo valve.
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...asy-10096.html

That mod makes me second guess the foam. Hmmm If I drop both I could easily add the high lift later if i thought i needed it.
Do all the 2nd generation trailers have the same axle?
Old 05-12-2020, 02:25 PM   #7

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
I did request a drawing from ETI on axle placement on 19.
If ETI can provide a side view of the frame you can see the departure angle considerations. Even if it is just the frame, it would be easy to add the fresh water tank (the top of the tank is at the height of the top of the frame in the rear section), and the Torflex axles/suspension can be added from Dexter Axle drawings.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 06:57 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Hi Michael,
I am excited for you and remember all the uncertainty as we went through our build sheet decisions. In 2015 when we picked up our new Escape 21, the high lift axle wasn't available, but we had the foam insulation. We take our trailer up logging and forest service roads a fair bit, so when the high lift option was added in 2016 we paid to have it installed. It cost us twice as much as what the installation costs during construction and with good reason. They have to remove foam and later replace it, plus take someone off of the production line to do the work.
We are one of the few people who have towed their trailer with and without the high-lift, and in our experience we didn't notice a difference in how it towed.
The added clearance makes up for the loss of clearance due to the foam.

I would never do without the foam insulation. The difference in cooling and heating is significant. I remember Reace telling us that during his famous cross-country journey fixing the problem plumbing on new Escape 21's, his cold water got too hot to take a shower, just from the heat penetrating the underside of his trailer. Tt isn't just cold weather where insulation helps. We use our trailer in fairly cold weather, and though we still use slippers, I am confident that the floor is a lot more comfortable due to the insulation.

If you don't go on bad roads, the high-lift option isn't necessary.

Bob K
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 07:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbito View Post
Hi Michael,
I am excited for you and remember all the uncertainty as we went through our build sheet decisions. In 2015 when we picked up our new Escape 21, the high lift axle wasn't available, but we had the foam insulation. We take our trailer up logging and forest service roads a fair bit, so when the high lift option was added in 2016 we paid to have it installed. It cost us twice as much as what the installation costs during construction and with good reason. They have to remove foam and later replace it, plus take someone off of the production line to do the work.
We are one of the few people who have towed their trailer with and without the high-lift, and in our experience we didn't notice a difference in how it towed.
The added clearance makes up for the loss of clearance due to the foam.

I would never do without the foam insulation. The difference in cooling and heating is significant. I remember Reace telling us that during his famous cross-country journey fixing the problem plumbing on new Escape 21's, his cold water got too hot to take a shower, just from the heat penetrating the underside of his trailer. Tt isn't just cold weather where insulation helps. We use our trailer in fairly cold weather, and though we still use slippers, I am confident that the floor is a lot more comfortable due to the insulation.

If you don't go on bad roads, the high-lift option isn't necessary.

Bob K

Bob so in 2015 is was not available and in 2016 it became available. so at some point after that it became standard. I assume when they changed body to 2nd generation it was standard. so where I get confused is if the high lift you have on your trailer is the same as the standard now? do you have picture you could post of the wheels may be able to tell something from that.

here is picture of current high lift
Attached Thumbnails
Manual awning with framed thermal windows.jpg  
Old 05-12-2020, 07:25 PM   #10

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Bob so in 2015 is was not available and in 2016 it became available. so at some point after that it became standard. I assume when they changed body to 2nd generation it was standard. so where I get confused is if the high lift you have on your trailer is the same as the standard now?
Not sure where you heard the lift became standard. There was a time it was not an option and then it became an option. To the best of my knowledge it was always the Torflex bolt-on kit you linked above except for some very early trailers where Reace may have tried a greater start angle on the axle at the request of a customer.
Old 05-12-2020, 07:45 PM   #11

The high lift is an option, not standard........
Old 05-12-2020, 07:52 PM   #12

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
To the best of my knowledge it was always the Torflex bolt-on kit you linked above except for some very early trailers where Reace may have tried a greater start angle on the axle at the request of a customer.
Not specific to the 19', but over the history of Escape both different start angles and spacers built specifically for Escape were offered (as well as possibly different bracket heights on the axle); I think this is the origin of the term "high-lift axle" instead of the more rational "axle mounting spacers". In addition, the height of the mounting points on the frame has changed; if you look at a 19' you'll see that the axle brackets don't mount directly to the frame rails... they're on extended mounts which are essentially built-in lifts. There were a few different heights of standard 17' over the years even within the first generation; there have likely been a few heights of standard 19' over the years and two generations.

The Dexter kit has been offered, in place of any other height modification option, since Dexter Axle started offering it, or at least since ETI realized that it was available. The 5.0TA even completely changed suspension type (from beam axles and leaf springs to the same Torflex as used for other models) after two years of production, presumably because the spacers became available (height change ability is particularly important to the fifth-wheel in order to fit different trucks).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 08:05 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Not sure where you heard the lift became standard. There was a time it was not an option and then it became an option. To the best of my knowledge it was always the Torflex bolt-on kit you linked above except for some very early trailers where Reace may have tried a greater start angle on the axle at the request of a customer.
got it was standard from old thread see post 4 https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...okee-4665.html

so this mad me think the had a lower axle and then a high that they made standard and now the high lift . this is how i got confused.

so a high lift option on the first generation would be the same as the current 2nd generation?
Old 05-12-2020, 08:20 PM   #14

Michael. you are purchasing a 2020 model correct? Not sure what the question is about an older model and optional high lift. If I remember the current is something like 2"+ on the current E19 for the option...is this what you have been informed? Your unit would look like the picture posted earlier.
Old 05-12-2020, 08:34 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Michael. you are purchasing a 2020 model correct? Not sure what the question is about an older model and optional high lift. If I remember the current is something like 2"+ on the current E19 for the option...is this what you have been informed? Your unit would look like the picture posted earlier.

yes 2020 model with 2 5/8" lift.

but when I research and get people thoughts its nice to know what axle they have. so it was not clear if the high lift axle in the second generation as high as the first or even higher.