side mirrors - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 04-10-2016, 10:47 AM   #1

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
side mirrors

We have our new 19 coming in June. Our tow vehicle is a tacoma and I am wondering now if the mirrors have enough view behind for towing and backing up. I'd be glad to hear from anyone else familiar with this.
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 11:07 AM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B
Doug:
Our experience may be of help. We got our 17B last year. It is narrower than your 19 (4" if I remember correctly) and our TV is a 4Runner. We towed initially using the standard Toyota mirrors, but have since purchased Milenco Aero II towing mirrors. They really help, particularly with backing up. As your Tacoma is roughly the same width as our 4Runner, and your trailer is wider, I think you'll fine towing mirrors helpful. Good luck--I'm sure you'll really enjoy your new Escape.
Dave
Dave & Penny Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 11:22 AM   #3

Trailer: April 2015, 21 classic
I have the Milenco Grand Aero 3 mirrors for our Tacoma that we tow our 21 with. The mirrors work fine and are easy on/off. Once or twice I had to re-position the trailer without the mirrors and I missed having them attached at that moment. Though I have not towed the 21 down the road with out mirror extensions, I can tell that using them is much safer and comforting to know if and who might be traveling too close to behind me in a blind spot. And they do help with backing up too.
Good luck and enjoy,
Larry
Patrol35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 11:45 AM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
The standard mirrors on my Ford Ranger aren't adequate. Yes, they provide ~some~ view of the highway back towards the trailer but not nearly enough to be comfortable to be sure there's no traffic nearby that would a problem with changing lanes.

I made my own mirror extensions, basically they only project out about 4" more than the standard mirrors but they make a huge difference in comfort level when changing lanes.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 12:10 PM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
side mirrors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
We have our new 19 coming in June. Our tow vehicle is a tacoma and I am wondering now if the mirrors have enough view behind for towing and backing up. I'd be glad to hear from anyone else familiar with this.

Doug, you could get by with no towing mirrors on a Tundra, but a Taco is narrower - too narrow imho for a decent view when towing a 19. There are also legal considerations in some states. I would definitely get towing mirrors.
Old 04-10-2016, 12:42 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape 19, Escape 23 on order
I'm using some of the Milenco Aero towing mirrors on my 4th generation 4Runner to tow my 19', same as what others have mentioned.

While they work, they aren't comparable to good OEM towing mirrors, especially during bad weather (high winds, rain, ice etc). I believe the dimensions of my 4Runner are similar to a Tacoma, but I need to tear my suv apart to compare to the Tacoma pictures I've seen on the web.

I'm really itching to buy a pair of the ProEFX Tacoma towing mirrors and see if I can make them fit my 4Runner somehow. For you, it might be a better decision as they should bolt in easily.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/...irrors.244365/
http://www.amazon.com/Proefx-Mirror-.../dp/B00JQOU8J4

Setting up and configuring the Milenco mirrors isn't difficult by any means, but a couple of our trips involved leaving the trailer in a campground, then driving into a city, where the mirrors were a bit of a concern in terms of clearance. Clamping/unclamping/adjusting the mirrors is just another item I'd be happy to take off my list of things to do before getting on the road. Also, readjustment per driver is yet another time consuming affair (if multiple drivers are involved of course).

I'm all about confidence and safety while towing; if good mirrors improve my confidence and speed of setup even a small amount, they're worth it.

Also worth noting the full size Toyota Tundra has an optional set of OEM towing mirrors that are extendable. I was going to see if those were possibly adaptable as well, as the price/quality might be better than the ProEFX.
smeagol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 02:34 PM   #7

Thanks everyone for the ideas and information. I'll be checking out the options.
Old 04-10-2016, 02:38 PM   #8

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by smeagol View Post
I'm really itching to buy a pair of the ProEFX Tacoma towing mirrors and see if I can make them fit my 4Runner somehow. For you, it might be a better decision as they should bolt in easily.
Also worth noting the full size Toyota Tundra has an optional set of OEM towing mirrors that are extendable. I was going to see if those were possibly adaptable as well, as the price/quality might be better than the ProEFX.
Adapting mirrors from another Toyota model to a Tacoma is likely to be tough, since they don't share body panels and so the mount is unlikely to match. Swaps between models can work well, when the models are related - such as between a Tundra and Sequoia, or between a much earlier 4Runner and the pickup. Good luck!
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 10:51 PM   #9

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
We tow with a 2004 Tundra and find that the Aero mirrors help immensely ... not only with backing but with driving on the road and being able to see everyone around us. It's a small price to pay for safety.

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 01:08 AM   #10

On order.
Old 04-11-2016, 02:00 AM   #11

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
Just bought the Aero mirrors based on everyone's recommendations.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 02:02 AM   #12

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
Wished I listened to everyone about securing the little door on the propane tank cover I forgot to secure it properly and it flew off. Now I have to buy a whole new cover!
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 05:47 AM   #13

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Also when installing the new trap door, lift and reverse the entire cover so that the opening is facing towards the rear, that way if you forget to tighten, it may still be there.
Old 04-11-2016, 06:21 AM   #14
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
Wished I listened to everyone about securing the little door on the propane tank cover I forgot to secure it properly and it flew off. Now I have to buy a whole new cover!

I don't have a propane cover, is it this one? Replacement Lid for Camco RV Polyethylene Propane Tank Covers - Polar White Camco Accessories and Parts CAM40543
2014 Escape 5.0TA
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 06:42 AM   #15

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Yep, that is the one.....
Old 04-11-2016, 10:25 AM   #16

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19', 2010 Toyota Tacoma TRD DCLB 4X4
Good Morning Doug
We tow with a Double Cab Long Box Toyota Tacoma. I do not have towing mirrors and traveled all last year without. That said, I strongly believe that this is not adequate. You can see down the road behind you but when vehicles get close in behind they are easier to lose sight of. I like the idea of the ProFX replacement to the OEM and these are my number one choice. I like the idea of not having to remove mirrors when unhooked or off season. Another plus with the ProFX mirrors is that you can install heated mirrors with this package.
Smac2
smac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 10:35 AM   #17

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19ft. "Eh'gloo"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Hi Doug,
Here are the mirrors I purchased for my Tacoma. I am very pleased with them. I just flip them up when towing my 19'.
Greg
From my post on 22 Feb 2014:
After reading several comments on towing mirrors, we found a link to 1AAuto.com. Easily navigated the website to find exact replacement mirrors for our 2005 Tacoma. Mirrors arrived in four days from Mass to rural Oregon, which is FAST given the current storms on the east Coast. It took about 40 minutes to install both mirrors. I found the mirrors not as rock steady as the smaller stock mirrors in the normal position but perfectly useable at highway speeds. With the mirrors extended to the trailering position they were a bit more jittery, but this is expected and still stellar in view.
The mirrors are a bit spendy at $240, but the shipping is free.
Here are some pictures of the passenger side mirror:
Old 04-11-2016, 10:42 AM   #18

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by smeagol View Post
I'm using some of the Milenco Aero towing mirrors on my 4th generation 4Runner to tow my 19', same as what others have mentioned.

While they work, they aren't comparable to good OEM towing mirrors, especially during bad weather (high winds, rain, ice etc).
This is my take too. While the Milenco Aero worked great with my Pilot, I sure missed the trailering mirrors on all the F-350's and F-250's I have owned, and when I went looking for an F-150 to tow my 5.0TA, I insisted on having the factory tow mirrors. Even without extending they work better than the more sporty looking ones, and when extended, just can't be beat. I also love that they can be folded in or extended at the push of a button from inside.

But, if this factory option is not available, the Milenco are the best detachable mirrors I have ever tried.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 10:53 AM   #19

Trailer: Escape 19, Escape 23 on order
To anyone interested in the ProEFX ones for a Tacoma, they are feeling out for another group buy at Tacomaworld forums

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/....366610/page-8
smeagol is offline   Reply With Quote