SIde to Side Weight Distribution 19' - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 01-21-2017, 01:49 PM   #1
SCS

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
SIde to Side Weight Distribution 19'

How evenly is the weight distributed side to side on a 19'? A lot of stuff (some heavy or potentially heavy) appears to be located on the driver's side including fridge, heater, converter, surge protector, holding and freshwater tanks, and bathroom. I want to be cautious about loading one side significantly more than the other. In my existing trailer, I like to travel with a full freshwater tank since I do a lot of boondocking. I believe the 19' fresh tank is located just aft of the fridge so it is behind the axles. There are also times when there may be considerable travel to find a dump station so the holding tanks may also be full. Does anyone have any actual side to side weights or thoughts on this? Should I be concentrating any added load of personal or camping gear on the passenger side? And, yes, I am a bit retentive when it comes to tire loads.

Thanks,
Steve
SCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 05:34 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Do you have the front box and are the batteries in it? There have been problems with too light tongue weight and the batteries up there help.

Do you have a Sherline scale? Filling the propane tanks helps also. But need to check tongue weight by going to a scale or using your own. Especially since you are filling the fresh water.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 05:46 PM   #3

Trailer: SOLD 2016 Classic 21ft - SOLD 2016 Ram 1500 tug - ORDERED Van Replacement
Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
Do you have the front box and are the batteries in it? There have been problems with too light tongue weight and the batteries up there help.

Do you have a Sherline scale? Filling the propane tanks helps also. But need to check tongue weight by going to a scale or using your own. Especially since you are filling the fresh water.
Cathy, it seems Steve is asking about side to side balance.

He has a good point that the driver's side is loaded with heavier components than the passenger side. Regarding the tanks, at least on the 21, they seem to be centered well, except the black tank on the 21 being a bit off center towards the drivers side.

I think this side to side imbalance exists on the 21 as well. I could be wrong but sure seems that way. Short of a trip to a weight station ....
Old 01-21-2017, 05:47 PM   #4

Trailer: 2016 - Escape 19 (2nd Gen), 2021 F150 Powerboost
I've never tried to balance my load front to back or side to side (I'd be more careful if I had a marginal tow vehicle) and I always drive with the water tank full. There's never been any problem with the trailer leaning to one side or swaying. The tandem axle and tires on the 19 are fairly substantial and forgiving.
davescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 06:29 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Actually the fresh tank is behind the axles, under the bed, centered, so it only impacts tongue weight. The grey tank is in front of the axles, again centered. The under bed storage is mainly behind the axles but curb side, you forgot the water heater is also street side, but behind the axles. There is little storage up front street side but the entire curb side dinette is open as is the kitchen o/h and under sink. So basically your "stuff" is there to help balance the load. Also don't forget the awning is curb side.
Old 01-21-2017, 06:55 PM   #6

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Wouldn't worry too much. Bathroom is basically empty space. Just store heavier stuff low.
Old 01-21-2017, 06:55 PM   #7

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
Cathy, it seems Steve is asking about side to side balance.

He has a good point that the driver's side is loaded with heavier components than the passenger side. Regarding the tanks, at least on the 21, they seem to be centered well, except the black tank on the 21 being a bit off center towards the drivers side.

I think this side to side imbalance exists on the 21 as well. I could be wrong but sure seems that way. Short of a trip to a weight station ....
I know that but the problem that HAS occurred many times and even resulted in some changes to the trailer, we were told, is light tongue weight. Escapes are generally well- balanced side to side and no one has had a side to side problem that we hear about. These are small trailers, not big units where that is a much more likely concern and common problem.

And filling the fresh tank, as he is saying he will do, is what caused much of the problem with tongue weight on 19's.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 07:44 PM   #8
SCS

Good input. The awning and stove do provide some counterbalance. I'm a bit sensitive to loading since my current trailer is a single axle with the dreaded 14" rims and prudence dictates getting pretty serious about side to side balance. I'm not sure where my fresh tank will be since I am doing a rear dinette but I'm not going to fret about it. It will be nice to have 4 tires. Finding 14" load range Ds was a pain.

Steve
Old 01-21-2017, 07:55 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
All of the Escapes have the fresh tank behind the axles in the rear, centered between the wheels, that is why the floor is raised back there. The grey tanks either over the axles or in front of the rear axle, again centered. The black is forward of the axles.
Any imbalance is caused by incorrect loading of personal items. they should be distributed equally from to rear, side to side.
Old 01-21-2017, 09:03 PM   #10
SCS

Good to know. My head was telling that the fresh and gray were on the port side. Guess I would have lost that bet. Makes caution the order of the day when screwing anything into the floor. Back to your regular programming.

Steve