Sierra 5.3L anyone? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-26-2023, 06:46 AM   #1

Trailer: None
Sierra 5.3L anyone?

Hi all,

I found this forum recently and it is full of great advice/experience. I am about 1.5 yrs away from (hopefully) getting an Escape, either 5.0 pr a 21’ model. I currently drive a 2020 Sierra 1500 crew cab 4wd with a 5.3 L with 10 speed transmission. It does have the tow package with integrated trailer brake. The payload is Iisted at around 1,635 lbs, towing capacity of around 9,200 lbs conventional and 8,100 gooseneck.

I am interested in hearing anyone’s experience with my/or a similarly equipped tow vehicle. It would only be a maximum of three people, usually just 2 (300lb total) in the truck for trips, maybe the dog.

I want the towing experience to be as stress free as possible. I am still working, so I could afford to get a different tow vehicle if needed. But, my truck only has 33k miles and is very comfortable.

Thanks in advance for any advice given.

Eric
EricG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 07:39 AM   #2

Trailer: 2020 E21C
Eric, we tow our 21C with a 2011 Silverado Z71 5.3L (170,000 miles on the odometer) extended cab and find it to be the ideal combination for us. Several times a year our trips include the highest altitude and steepest Rocky Mountain grades.The 5.3 in a half ton pickup is not spritely going up those grades. This is a compromise we're willing to make because those grades represent only a small percentage of our total travel. If we were climbing those grades on a weekly basis we would want more climbing capability, but that's not the case for us. I desperately do not want a larger pickup or larger engine. The 5.3L powertrain really shines with its ability to hold the entire rig descending those grades with just an occasional taps of the brakes. We have no experience with our Silverado in a 5th wheel towing configuration, but towing the 21 it's the right combination for us and you'd likely find the same to be true with your newer Sierra. Headwinds are of course not your friend for good gas mileage. Our average mileage towing at 62 mph is 13 mpg. My biggest complaint about the pickup is at the age of 12 the rear fender wells are beginning to rust.

John
JohnK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 09:01 AM   #3

Trailer: 2022 21C + 2021 F-150 PowerBoost 4x4
Hi, Eric. We tow our 21C with an F-150 PowerBoost - it’s a 3.5L Ecoboost hybrid (Ecoboost is what Ford calls their turbo engines). I can’t speak to the Escape 5.0, but the 21C tows like a dream - especially if you opt for a weight distribution hitch with sway control (which I highly recommend). I had never towed anything before we got our trailer last year, and I was happily surprised at how stress-free it is to tow an Escape trailer.

Your Sierra tow specs appear well suited for towing an Escape. IMHO, you’ve got what you need. JohnK’s direct experience with the 5.3L engine is obviously better informed on its towing capabilities than mine. My only caveat would be making sure the truck bed is compatible with the bed-mounted hitch for a 5.0, if that’s the way you’re leaning. Someone on this forum with a 5.0 will be able to confirm that for you.

Welcome to the forum, and good luck with your future Escape!
YakRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 09:52 AM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Eric, you won't even know the 5.0 is back there. We tow with a F150 4X4 3.5 Ecoboost with a 10speed. I can't imagine a more stress free experience towing. Just pay attention to the bed height specs and getting the 5.0 level and you will be golden.
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 10:10 AM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
We towed our Gen 1 21C wiith a 2013 Yukon with the 5.3 for five years before trading it for an 2019 Expedition with 3.5 EcoBoost motor. Night & day difference, especially climbing grades. Our trailer weights 4300#'s with everything. We got 13 towing with the Yukon; same with the Expedition yet with loads more torque- 470 vs. 335.

All Gen 2 Escapes- beginning in 2017 are heavier than the Gen 1 with most Gen 2 21 owners reporting a wet weight around 4800#'s. The 5.0 TA is the heaviest of all Escape trailers.

While it will be a safe tow with your Sierra, the performance may or may not meet your expectations. I remember one owner Doug from Alberta loved his GMC Sierra with the 6.2 motor.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...icle-9785.html
Old 04-26-2023, 12:35 PM   #6

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricG View Post
... I am about 1.5 yrs away from (hopefully) getting an Escape, either 5.0 pr a 21’ model. I currently drive a 2020 Sierra 1500 crew cab 4wd with a 5.3 L with 10 speed transmission. It does have the tow package with integrated trailer brake. The payload is Iisted at around 1,635 lbs, towing capacity of around 9,200 lbs conventional and 8,100 gooseneck.

I am interested in hearing anyone’s experience with my/or a similarly equipped tow vehicle. It would only be a maximum of three people, usually just 2 (300lb total) in the truck for trips, maybe the dog.

I want the towing experience to be as stress free as possible. ...
Your goals and vehicle capabilities are similar to mine towing an Escape 5.0 with a 2005 F150. That was a very relaxing rig to manage, IMO you would find towing a 5.0 stress-free and very enjoyable if you elect to go that route.

Personally I find driving with my 5.0 more relaxed and stress-free than towing a bumper-pull with similar interior space. I don't miss dealing with a WDH and the rig just tracks and behaves superbly and predicably in any road / weather / wind condition. Trailer disconnect / set-up at a site is a breeze, all that contributing to a relaxed experience even after a long day on the road.

I've since moved to a newer F150 but that was not prompted by any truck capability issues at all, just a desire for more modern conveniences and lower miles on the truck, both which you already enjoy. Yes, the new F150 Ecoboost has more power + 10-speed tranny and while appreciated I didn't really find the older 5.4L V8 with 3-speed+OD automatic lacking.

IMO you can't go wrong with either of the trailers you mention.
Old 04-26-2023, 01:48 PM   #7

Trailer: 5.0 ta
We tow our 2019 5.0 with a 2018 Silverado 5.3 litre. We have over 12,000 miles of travel, prairie and mountains. We have never had any issues. Most of the time we forget it even there. As others have said head winds will reduce mileage but remember tail winds will increase mileage, it all balances out in the end.
GimliGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 02:47 PM   #8

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
The 3.5 Ecoboost is rated something like 470 Ft/lb of torque at 2500 RPM while the 5.3L and most V8 motors build their torque much higher in the RPM range. I believe the 5.3L's peak torque is something like 383 ft/lb at 4100 RPM.

That doesn't mean one is more less less capable than the other it just means one can pull the load at a lower rpm level.

If you want the rumble sound get a 5.3 but if you want a quiet sound get the 3.5 EB. Trust me, it really matters to some folks. I do miss the rumble sometimes but I also like the quiet. I'm about 50/50.

Both are solid choices just watch your Cargo Capacity. Mine is 1802 Lbs. You will be very surprised by how much that can change by the packages you choose;
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 04:17 PM   #9

Thanks everyone

Thank you all for the replies and input. From what everyone is saying and the information that I can find, I am probably fine staying with my current Sierra. Since it’s payed off, I will give it a whirl before I go sink a bunch of $$ into a new tow vehicle.

Now I just have to decide which model Escape to get and the options-seems like a daunting task.

Eric
Old 04-26-2023, 04:22 PM   #10

Trailer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
Eric, we tow our 21C with a 2011 Silverado Z71 5.3L (170,000 miles on the odometer) extended cab and find it to be the ideal combination for us. Several times a year our trips include the highest altitude and steepest Rocky Mountain grades.The 5.3 in a half ton pickup is not spritely going up those grades. This is a compromise we're willing to make because those grades represent only a small percentage of our total travel. If we were climbing those grades on a weekly basis we would want more climbing capability, but that's not the case for us. I desperately do not want a larger pickup or larger engine. The 5.3L powertrain really shines with its ability to hold the entire rig descending those grades with just an occasional taps of the brakes. We have no experience with our Silverado in a 5th wheel towing configuration, but towing the 21 it's the right combination for us and you'd likely find the same to be true with your newer Sierra. Headwinds are of course not your friend for good gas mileage. Our average mileage towing at 62 mph is 13 mpg. My biggest complaint about the pickup is at the age of 12 the rear fender wells are beginning to rust.

John
I second this with our 2017 Z71 5.3 4x4. Non towing 18 to 20 mpg towing 12 to 15 mpg. 82,000 miles on it
Old 04-26-2023, 05:21 PM   #11

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C
Hey Eric. Totally agree that you’re fine to stay with the Sierra. The 5.3 is a stout engine and the 10 speed transmission is very good at keeping it in the right power band. I, like many, have an F-150 with Ecoboost and it’s a powerful truck…but my previous truck was a 2002 GMC with the 5.3 and a 4 speed. It was a great truck and would easily pull any Escape out there. Take care.
JeffinBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 05:25 PM   #12

Trailer: 2020 5.0TA
I pull my 5.0TA with a 2010 Z71 5.3, 6-speed trans and absolutely hate any kind of hill as I feel I’m killing my truck, I always tow in tow mode and the constant up and down shifting and high RPM’s 4-5k really sounds like my truck is NOT HAPPY. On flats, I definitely know it’s back there, feels like I’m pulling a barge. I feel the weight. It’s only got 3:08 rear gears in the differential so maybe that plays into it as well. Just my experience. I want a bigger more powerful truck. Others have said it’s a night a day difference though on the newer models with a 10 speed trans.
Suregrip391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 05:54 PM   #13

Trailer: 2023 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suregrip391 View Post
I pull my 5.0TA with a 2010 Z71 5.3, 6-speed trans and absolutely hate any kind of hill as I feel I’m killing my truck, I always tow in tow mode and the constant up and down shifting and high RPM’s 4-5k really sounds like my truck is NOT HAPPY. On flats, I definitely know it’s back there, feels like I’m pulling a barge. I feel the weight. It’s only got 3:08 rear gears in the differential so maybe that plays into it as well. Just my experience. I want a bigger more powerful truck. Others have said it’s a night a day difference though on the newer models with a 10 speed trans.
My guess is the 3.08 gearing plays a big part! I've had numerous friends and colleagues that have towed loads similar to an E21 or 5.0 with various generations of the 5.3 without significant issue...but typically with 3.73 or shorter gearing.

When you look at the prodigious engine power available on even modest 1/2 tons these days, it make you wonder how trucks managed to tow 25ish years ago....when the typical small block V8s offered by the big three produced around 200hp/300lb-ft.
Selkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 06:51 PM   #14

Trailer: 21
Yep the 308 gearing is the issue n why the higher rpm’s
Old 04-27-2023, 05:28 AM   #15

Thanks again for all of the input. I really appreciate people letting me know their experiences, both good and not so good. I’ve thought about trading mine for a Sierra with the 6.2 as I’ve heard good things about that motor. I’ve also considered just stepping up to the 2500hd w/6.6 diesel so I don’t have to worry about payload, or pulling up steep grades, but I’m not sure I want that as my daily driver. Every time I think I’ve made a decision, …
Old 04-27-2023, 07:51 AM   #16

Eric, you mentioned the daily driver, actually the most frequent function of most of our tow vehicles. It sounds like you've now considered all angles and you're getting close to narrowing down your decision.

Our choice of a (my) daily driver lies in a sweet spot somewhere between a small electric car and a Mac truck since we've ruled out a 3rd vehicle. So since we pull a 21C, I cut all of our firewood and haul it in AND I run daily errands, for us that sweet spot is a 1/2 ton pickup with a small block engine capable of doing it all while still getting 18-20 miles per gallon off tow. And no bank owns any of it.

John
Old 05-03-2023, 10:21 AM   #17

Trailer: 2021 5.0 TA
I am a Chevy /gm fan as far as trucks go. But, in your vintage of truck, I would ask what the 8th digit of your vin is. If it’s an N, get rid of the truck quickly.

Get an iron block 5.3 without castech heads and you’ll have a bulletproof vehicle.
Scambo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 10:43 AM   #18

Thanks for the heads up Scambo1. The 8th digit in my VIN # is 3. There are no Ns. I’m holding you to my 5.3 being bullet proof. ��

John
Old 05-03-2023, 03:41 PM   #19
AnJ

Trailer: 1974 Boler, 2018 Escape 21
We have towed our 2018 21 with a 2015 Silverado 5.3L crew cab 4WD (I believe it’s a 6 spd trans). We’ve travelled with 1-2 dogs and our kids and on longer trips, mostly through the mountain passes and Rockies in the Pacific Northwest and at times, headwinds in the prairies. In the beginning, we carefully calculated various weights to make sure, but we were never even close to over the ratings or limits. It‘s never felt ill equipped to us- easy to forget that it’s behind us and feels like a safe tow combo. Occasionally, we put it in tow-haul mode on the steeper mountains.
AnJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 08:05 PM   #20
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnJ View Post
... Occasionally, we put it in tow-haul mode on the steeper mountains.
Curious why you do not put it in tow-haul mode anytime you have the trailer attached?
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote