Solar ready, No batteries 5.0 delivery, brake switch calibration - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 04-13-2021, 09:20 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape
Solar ready, No batteries 5.0 delivery, brake switch calibration

Spoke with ETI about a full solar ready package, minus batteries at delivery. I want to purchase the latest Battleborn Li batteries with the internal heating protection. The provided GoPower batteries don't offer internal heating. ETI mentioned it's an option but I would be responsible to install a battery and calibrate the brake break away switch before driving the trailer. Anyone know what's entailed doing the said calibration at the break away switch?
Jack! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 09:45 AM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Calibrate (?) a break away switch? WTF is that about? I installed a Battleborn 100ah in my trailer and did no calibration of any kind so I have no idea what they are talking about.
Old 04-13-2021, 09:46 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Calibrate (?) a break away switch? WTF is that about? I installed a Battleborn 100ah in my trailer and did no calibration of any kind so I have no idea what they are talking about.
I imagine it is Escape's way of saying "check to see that it works"!
Old 04-13-2021, 10:37 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Pull the pin and see if it works......
Old 04-13-2021, 10:47 AM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
I tried doing that once. Couldn't reach the pin from the drivers seat.
Old 04-13-2021, 10:48 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
It was a head scratcher for me as well. I was thinking perhaps they pull the pin to adjust the brakes during manufacturing. Without a battery perhaps they can't adjust the brakes....don't know. They are checking to see if they can still allow me to ship them a Battleborn, as was done in the past. If not, I can opt for a no battery delivery. Not a big deal to get the brakes adjusted if that's the case. Still digging into this one and still a ways out from a build sheet, so plenty of time. Thought I'd check here for anyone that may have done this in the past.
Old 04-13-2021, 10:58 AM   #7
MVA

Trailer: 2017 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack! View Post
Spoke with ETI about a full solar ready package, minus batteries at delivery. I want to purchase the latest Battleborn Li batteries with the internal heating protection. The provided GoPower batteries don't offer internal heating. ETI mentioned it's an option but I would be responsible to install a battery and calibrate the brake break away switch before driving the trailer. Anyone know what's entailed doing the said calibration at the break away switch?
I suspect that given ETI is incorporating a Victron DC-DC converter for lithium systems, they wanted you to "test" or "validate" the breakaway switch function after installation of your battery. Not clear why they used the term "calibrate".
MVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 11:53 AM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack! View Post
It was a head scratcher for me as well. I was thinking perhaps they pull the pin to adjust the brakes during manufacturing. Without a battery perhaps they can't adjust the brakes....don't know. They are checking to see if they can still allow me to ship them a Battleborn, as was done in the past. If not, I can opt for a no battery delivery. Not a big deal to get the brakes adjusted if that's the case. Still digging into this one and still a ways out from a build sheet, so plenty of time. Thought I'd check here for anyone that may have done this in the past.
Hi: Jack... "Them's the brakes"!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 01:06 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Most likely ETI doesn’t want to open the door to substituting Li batteries. They negotiated a wholesale price with Gopower and make $$$ installing Gopower. Probably was chump change on flooded batteries, but a very nice margin on Li.
If they let anyone substitute, it could open a door they don’t want open. I haven’t done a deep dive on the Gopower Li batteries, but just glancing at them awhile back it wouldn’t be my first choice. Maybe Brian will weigh in with a deeper evaluation.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 01:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Most likely ETI doesn’t want to open the door to substituting Li batteries. They negotiated a wholesale price with Gopower and make $$$ installing Gopower. Probably was chump change on flooded batteries, but a very nice margin on Li.
If they let anyone substitute, it could open a door they don’t want open. I haven’t done a deep dive on the Gopower Li batteries, but just glancing at them awhile back it wouldn’t be my first choice. Maybe Brian will weigh in with a deeper evaluation.
My take was a little different in that they offered a no battery delivery and are checking for me to see if I can ship Battleborns to them. I didn't get a "no" on that yet. It was just the comment that I would be responsible to install the batteries & calibrate, as no battery is no breakaway & a road violation. They were very helpful & fast to respond. I'm thinking it CYA liability stuff.. The other possibility was the solar system need calibration & it was mixed into the breakaway remarks, so confusing. In any case it needs clarification and I'm hoping to send a new style Battleborn and install the other myself. That would be ideal. I believe the Li battery internal heating solves a significant problem for RV'ers & sending a battery should be allowed at least until its offered by Escape's supplier, as well.
Old 04-13-2021, 01:52 PM   #11

Trailer: 2021 21C
When I was asked about a "no battery" option I got a decisive no. I understand that it is a safety issue in that no battery, no brakes should the disconnect be pulled. We had our 21 delivered with the stock 12 volt and simply sold it after we replaced it with two 6-volt AGMs.

2021 21C "Travels with Karma"
GMC Canyon Denali Turbodiesel Long-bed
DWM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 02:01 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWM3 View Post
When I was asked about a "no battery" option I got a decisive no. I understand that it is a safety issue in that no battery, no brakes should the disconnect be pulled. We had our 21 delivered with the stock 12 volt and simply sold it after we replaced it with two 6-volt AGMs.
Seems that changed...

"I have asked that question for you (shipping Battleborn). Waiting on an answer but in the mean time. We do have a lithium ready package and you would need to supply your own batteries. no standard battery will be provided. You also need to be acutely aware that no battery means no break away functionality, this would be an on the road violation. You would be accountable to install your batteries and calibrate the system as required prior to driving away."
Old 04-13-2021, 02:42 PM   #13

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I wonder what they do to power the breakaway & get it legally across the border?
Old 04-13-2021, 03:09 PM   #14

Trailer: 2020 5.0TA
You do not get a price reduction when you delete any item out of a new Escape. So why don’t you just get the batteries that come with it and mod it when you get it home? This isn’t that hard.
2019 Tundra Crew Max TV
ritacasita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 03:38 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritacasita View Post
You do not get a price reduction when you delete any item out of a new Escape. So why don’t you just get the batteries that come with it and mod it when you get it home? This isn’t that hard.
Li Batteries are a different situation along with the full solar package, inverter, solar charger. This option requires a battery type selection so the system can be setup properly for lithium as I understand things. The "No batteries" delivery in the case of Li batteries drops the pricing significantly. Also, with the cost of the full solar system, I'd rather not set it up myself. That and I am by no means any kind of solar setup expert. I'd like to ship one of the new style Battleborn batteries so everything is setup and ready to go at pickup. I can add the second Battleborn later. The alternative would be they setup everything ready for Li batteries so I can just install two of my Battleborns at pickup & everything is ready to go. I think this is the new "Lithium Ready" package mentioned. It's the "calibration" break-away remark that's the unknown, so far.
Old 04-13-2021, 05:18 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVA View Post
I suspect that given ETI is incorporating a Victron DC-DC converter for lithium systems, they wanted you to "test" or "validate" the breakaway switch function after installation of your battery. Not clear why they used the term "calibrate".
Makes sense...Thanks.
Old 04-13-2021, 06:27 PM   #17

Great news. ETI just contacted me. I can send them the new style, heated, Battleborn, Li batteries. ETI will install them and setup the solar package & break-away so I can simply hook up and go at delivery. That's some great Customer Service!
Old 04-14-2021, 10:18 AM   #18

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Awesome, Jack. I hope they will allow that to continue for others as some have indicated they have blocked it previously. You got a good resolution.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 02:41 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Awesome, Jack. I hope they will allow that to continue for others as some have indicated they have blocked it previously. You got a good resolution.
Don't know for certain but suspect as RV'ers they understand heated Li batteries solves a major drawback on very expensive batteries. Battleborn has a good video showing how the heater on/off switch is setup and daisy chaining the heater option for multiple Li batteries.
Old 04-14-2021, 03:53 PM   #20

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWM3 View Post
When I was asked about a "no battery" option I got a decisive no. ....
Same here and although a slightly different scenario than Jack's I'm among those who have posted about that with the explanation given by ETI at that time; I only hope that other forum surfers won't find those apparently now obsolete posts and run without asking ETI about their situation. For me it's no worries, I'm happy take the base-standard 12V and DIY my solar installation with batteries of my choosing.

In any case, I'm very happy to read that Jack has now received an answer that works to his benefit and likely will for others.

(just to reinforce - the forum is a great source of information but everything is subject to change and case-specific nuances; IMO folks should always ask ETI about everything they might want during their trailer configuration discussions to ensure they realize the most current possibilities for their build! )