Subaru Ascent towing - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-01-2019, 11:59 PM   #21

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Good info. One wonders with Subaru's history of poor max tongue weights etc. if they just don't want to be in the market. ( speaking as a former Subaru owner ).
Old 02-02-2019, 08:47 AM   #22

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
When Subaru introduced the Accent to sales managers across the country, part of the "splash" was to have them drive an Accent towing a small Airstream trailer. Reps at two of the country's largest Subaru dealers (Kennesaw, GA and Colorado Springs, CO) gave us the same corporate-sounding line, "The Accent handles travel trailers so well, you don't need trailer brakes." - implying that the Accent overcomes the physics of motion and various state motor vehicle laws). If truth were told, I think the designers hoped owners would just use the factory 1 1/4" hitch for hauling mountain bikes to their next destination cycling adventure. That said, I think the Accent should still be a capable tow vehicle for a small travel trailer (17' or less?) when properly equipped, IMO. I don't think it will be long before we'll start seeing some in campgrounds and can ask owners for their real-world experience towing.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 09:29 AM   #23

Trailer: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
When Subaru introduced the Accent to sales managers across the country, part of the "splash" was to have them drive an Accent towing a small Airstream trailer. Reps at two of the country's largest Subaru dealers (Kennesaw, GA and Colorado Springs, CO) gave us the same corporate-sounding line, "The Accent handles travel trailers so well, you don't need trailer brakes." - implying that the Accent overcomes the physics of motion and various state motor vehicle laws). If truth were told, I think the designers hoped owners would just use the factory 1 1/4" hitch for hauling mountain bikes to their next destination cycling adventure. That said, I think the Accent should still be a capable tow vehicle for a small travel trailer (17' or less?) when properly equipped, IMO. I don't think it will be long before we'll start seeing some in campgrounds and can ask owners for their real-world experience towing.
Subaru may want to check local towing laws before making such statements. California requires trailer brakes for any trailer over 1500 pounds.
Old 02-02-2019, 09:47 AM   #24

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Quote:
Two points we were told by a seemingly knowledgeable Subaru rep when we gave the Accent a close look: 1) the temporary spare is the same circumference as the four standard tires to make sure the CVT continues to work correctly, but it's quite a bit thinner, allowing it to be stowed in a smaller space (much too small for a full-sized spare), and 2) despite the published tow rating, the Subaru optional factory hitch receiver is 1 1/4", which I believe means it's a Class II, so one would have to have a 3rd party install a 2" Class III receiver (which might raise questions about Subaru's warranty when towing) as well as a brake controller.
I read the Subaru info. On the base model which only tows 2000 lbs it is a class I, on the others which tow 5000 a class 3.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 11:34 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
I read the Subaru info. On the base model which only tows 2000 lbs it is a class I, on the others which tow 5000 a class 3.
Unless I'm missing something, I don't know where "Class III" squares with their factory 1 1/4" receiver option. It would be interesting to have both pieces of information in hand and ask a Subaru dealer how those two can be.
Old 02-02-2019, 11:34 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilola View Post
Subaru may want to check local towing laws before making such statements. California requires trailer brakes for any trailer over 1500 pounds.
Details, details, details.....
Old 02-02-2019, 11:40 AM   #27

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
And NY is 1000 lbs...
Old 02-02-2019, 02:51 PM   #28

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Two points we were told by a seemingly knowledgeable Subaru rep when we gave the Accent a close look:
2) despite the published tow rating, the Subaru optional factory hitch receiver is 1 1/4", which I believe means it's a Class II, so one would have to have a 3rd party install a 2" Class III receiver (which might raise questions about Subaru's warranty when towing)...
It makes no sense at all that Subaru would supply a hitch with a 1.25" receiver and rate it for 5000 pounds. It would be possible to provide a 1.25" hitch for the 2000-pound-rated vehicles and a 2" hitch for the 5000-pound-rated vehicles (Ford has done that)... but the hitch is an accessory, and Subaru.ca appears shows only one hitch. Even if they have two, obviously you would buy the Class 3 hitch. At least it's easy to check: just look at any Ascent with a genuine Subaru hitch.

I wouldn't even consider tacking some aftermarket piece of crap onto a vehicle without using proper mounting points, when a properly designed hitch is available. Since the OEM hitch installs into the bumper mounting points, there won't be other hitch mounting points designed into the structure.

My guess is that key word in "seemingly knowledgeable Subaru rep" is "seemingly".
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 02:59 PM   #29

Quote:
When Subaru introduced the Accent to sales managers across the country, part of the "splash" was to have them drive an Accent towing a small Airstream trailer. Reps at two of the country's largest Subaru dealers (Kennesaw, GA and Colorado Springs, CO) gave us the same corporate-sounding line, "The Accent handles travel trailers so well, you don't need trailer brakes." - implying that the Accent overcomes the physics of motion and various state motor vehicle laws).

The most fundamental rule for an automotive consumer should be to distrust all marketing people. In particular, anything which is provided verbally and not published is absolutely worthless.

Did you ask Subaru's corporate office what they think of these dangerous and reckless statements? It's not a corporate line; it does sound like a popular marketing pitch by unethical sales people.

The manual clearly states, in Section 8-11 on page 394, that
Quote:
Trailer brakes are required when the towing load exceeds 1,000 lbs (453 kg).
Legal requirements vary by jurisdiction; this is what Subaru requires.

Quote:
If truth were told, I think the designers hoped owners would just use the factory 1 1/4" hitch for hauling mountain bikes to their next destination cycling adventure.
But is there any evidence, anywhere, that a 1.25" OEM hitch even exists, let alone that it is the only size available?
Old 02-02-2019, 03:10 PM   #30

Quote:
Where?

Are you referring to a web site, a brochure, or something else?

I checked both Subaru.ca and Subaru.com. The specs do provide the two ratings (2000 lb trailer with 200 lb hitch weight, and 5000 lb trailer with 500 lb hitch weight), without mentioning the receiver size or hitch class. That can mean two different hitches, or one 5000 lb hitch, with the rating limited by the vehicle. The accessory listing shows and describes only a Class 3 hitch, and lists the ratings depending on model. In either case I can't see any indication that only a 1.25" hitch is available.
Old 02-02-2019, 03:23 PM   #31

Trailer: none
This is the most helpful site I’ve ever found regarding Subaru’s. The guy who runs the site is a dealer in Washington state. If you can’t find the info you are looking for, try emailing him.

2019 Subaru Ascent 7 passenger research webpage

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/contact.html
Old 02-02-2019, 04:05 PM   #32

Quote:
This is the most helpful site I’ve ever found regarding Subaru’s. The guy who runs the site is a dealer in Washington state. If you can’t find the info you are looking for, try emailing him.

That appears to be extracted from manufacturer's information not intended for public consumption. It clearly shows that there is only one hitch (option 0C7), and that hitch is Class III and 2". It also indicates that the same Class III 2" hitch is used for all versions, but that the rating (which is limited by the vehicle) is lower for the base version.

So, can we all stop worrying that Subaru has sabotaged their own product with an inappropriate hitch?

I also noticed this note regarding the available hitch package:
Quote:
includes a live working 4 pin connector for brake lights to work, and a 7 pin electric trailer brake controller wire (wire only) from dash to hitch.
Note: it does not have an electric brake controller so you'll have to add an aftermarket electric trailer brake controller for the 7 pin wire to work.
So most of the wiring work appears to be done. The 7-pin connector is visible on the left side of the hitch receiver, when the appearance cover is removed.
Old 02-02-2019, 04:29 PM   #33

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
We still have an inadequate spare towing issue with the Ascent.
Old 02-02-2019, 04:49 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
We still have an inadequate spare towing issue with the Ascent.
Yes, and with lots of vehicles. If I had ever had a flat while towing, I might be concerned about this, but it's manageable. My motorhome (like most larger vehicles) doesn't even carry a spare, and I'm not worried about that. Individual priorities vary, of course.
Old 02-02-2019, 05:01 PM   #35

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Yes, and with lots of vehicles. If I had ever had a flat while towing, I might be concerned about this, but it's manageable. My motorhome (like most larger vehicles) doesn't even carry a spare, and I'm not worried about that. Individual priorities vary, of course.
You would think you would have 2 spares, with your carrying capacity. I would not leave the state without a spare.
Old 02-02-2019, 05:51 PM   #36

Quote:
You would think you would have 2 spares, with your carrying capacity.
Larger vehicles routinely don't carry a spare, because it is not practical for the driver to change the wheel and tire assembly even if they had a spare to use. There is no jack, and if a jack were carried it would need to be very tall and have multi-ton capacity. Just loosening the wheel nuts would be unreasonable without an impact wrench or at least a very long breaker bar. The tire and wheel together are too heavy for most people to lift, let alone get in and out of a storage location or align properly on the hub. Truckers and large motorhome owners call tire service companies if needed... but then many people call for help anyway, even though they are driving a small vehicle have a spare and all of the required tools in the vehicle.

Trucks and buses (although not motorhomes) have the additional complication that they often have different sizes and types (tread patterns) of tire on different axles, so a single spare wouldn't be right for handling all flats anyway... although that's not a concern for our trailer tugs.

Sorry for the non-Escape sidetrack; I was just illustrating that having a spare for the tug is not really required.

Quote:
I would not leave the state without a spare.
Near home, in another state/province, or in another country... does it really matter? Service is available everywhere (and is difficult in a remote area whether that is in your own state/province or another one), and being stuck for a while in an RV isn't like being stuck at the roadside in a car.
Old 02-02-2019, 07:46 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Where?

Are you referring to a web site, a brochure, or something else?

I checked both Subaru.ca and Subaru.com. The specs do provide the two ratings (2000 lb trailer with 200 lb hitch weight, and 5000 lb trailer with 500 lb hitch weight), without mentioning the receiver size or hitch class. That can mean two different hitches, or one 5000 lb hitch, with the rating limited by the vehicle. The accessory listing shows and describes only a Class 3 hitch, and lists the ratings depending on model. In either case I can't see any indication that only a 1.25" hitch is available.
I looked at Subaru.com and parts. (US). I didn't see it when I was "building" a car but I wasn't on the base model.
Old 02-02-2019, 07:52 PM   #38

Quote:

Joe Spitz Cars101 contact page. Buying a Subaru in the Pacific Northwest?
Joe's site says Class 3, 2" hitch for both. Joe sold me my current Subaru and at that time recommended for the Forester going down the street to Mann's Welding for the hitch (which I did). But he also told me automatic was better for towing, so I don't think he knows everything!
Old 02-02-2019, 08:22 PM   #39

Quote:
I looked at Subaru.com and parts. (US). I didn't see it when I was "building" a car but I wasn't on the base model.
But where in the site? I read the specs (both in the "build" and the spec/feature comparison) and saw no mention of a 1.25" receiver or a Class 1 hitch. Are you just recalling the 2000 pound rating (which is determined by the lack of external transmission fluid cooler in the base model) and assuming the receiver size?

The pop-up linked to the "?" symbol beside the Trailer Hitch in the Options / Accessories section of that comparison table... the only place in feature and specification lists where I could find any description:
Attached Thumbnails
AscentOptionHitch.JPG  
Old 02-02-2019, 08:45 PM   #40

I googled it to find the info so not sure where it would be in the site.

Tags
subaru ascent towing