Taco - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 07-14-2014, 03:50 PM   #1

Taco

Just recieved some bad news,My 2006 tundra has frame problems. Does anyone tow a 19' with a Taco?
How well does the 6 cyl. tow a 19'? What kind of mileage towing and not towing? That would be a 4wd Taco. Just heard from dealer an hour ago and starting a little research,don't even know my options yet. Thanks,Herb
timberdoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 04:06 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 21 pick up on 5/26/15.
I have a 2005 Tacoma and have towed many boats trailers etc. (not an Escape yet, but soon). Generally get about 19-21 w/o a load 12/13 with. Taco as w/towing pkg and V6 can haul up to 6500 lbs., well within any escape weight.

Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler!
batcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 04:30 PM   #3

Trailer: 2016 Escape 21
We tow our 19' with a Tacoma V6 with the tow package. We do have the Anderson WDH, but more for extra confidence than any true need. We've had no problems whatsoever and even over the North Cascades passes we didn't have to slow too much. It's a great combination.
JaneM. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 04:37 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Google Toyota Tacoma frame recall to see if you have any recourse.
Old 07-14-2014, 04:40 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberdoodle View Post
Just recieved some bad news,My 2006 tundra has frame problems. Does anyone tow a 19' with a Taco?
How well does the 6 cyl. tow a 19'? What kind of mileage towing and not towing? That would be a 4wd Taco. Just heard from dealer an hour ago and starting a little research,don't even know my options yet. Thanks,Herb
Hi: timberdoodle... Strange thing... My brother had frame rust through bad enough the dealer condemned his Taco on the hoist. Hmm!!! That's why I bought a Nissan Frontier. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 07:09 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
What specifically are the frame problems with the Tundra? I just bought a 2007 Double Cab 4wd TRD to use to tow my 19 when I get it. I did that in spite of the fact that my 2009 Tacoma would pull the 19 quite adequately. I was just looking for a little additional passenger comfort with the Tundra. Haven't heard of any endemic frame situations with the Tundra, so am curious.
Old 07-14-2014, 08:03 PM   #7

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by santacruzer View Post
Haven't heard of any endemic frame situations with the Tundra, so am curious.
Neither have I, so I am curious as well.
Even the Tacoma frame issues were only with the first generation, and were the result of coating problems allowing rust (the frames were well built, but in many cases not properly protected). I've never heard of this with the Tundra (either generation), so I'm not jumping to the conclusion that this is anything other than an issue with this individual truck... which may be due to collision damage, abuse (by the previous owner, of course), or a single-vehicle defect in construction.

I do note that Herb is asking about towing with Tacomas, not about the Tundra issue.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 10:02 PM   #8

Quote:
I tow a 19 with a 2011 Tacoma TRD SPort 4x4 look for 9 to 14 mpg towing hills and such dependent 19 to 22 normal driving again hills and such dependent. Tacomas have had frame problems into 2nd generations. 05+ Official Perforated/Rusted Through Frames - Tacoma World Forums

Nice site lots of info on Tacoma's of all ages

Cypher
Cypherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 05:22 AM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I just went through that thread on the Tacoma World site, and was astonished at the degree of rust damage. If you're towing, I can't imagine you wouldn't notice advanced rust around your factory installed receiver, and many of those photos were clearly very advanced rust. Guess I'm lucky to live in California where we don't use salt on the roads, although I do live on the coast. I've had 3 Toyota trucks ('85 SR5, '01 Tacoma, '09 Tacoma) and no rust problems whatsoever. And, to keep the post on track, the current '09 is more than adequate for a 19…but I wouldn't do it with THAT kind of rust!
Old 07-15-2014, 05:02 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21--FOR SALE
One of the sources of rust on hitch components here on Vancouver Island is launching and recovering a towed boat from ramps in salt water, and not rinsing off the salt afterward.
Old 07-15-2014, 05:12 PM   #11
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Toyota has launched a limited service campaign to repair or replace rusty frames on the 2005 to 2008 Tacoma, because there are a huge number of owners in the "salt belt" states that have reported unusually heavy rust and corrosion. They do not announce or publicize it much, but the repair or replacement is free. It only applies to owners in certain states. Here's an article I found that mentions the service:

2005-2008 Toyota Tacoma Could Have Frame Rust, May Get Free Fix

Oh, and it's not the first service campaign to repair or replace rusty Tacoma frames. They also did it for the first gen Tacomas, 1995 to 2001. Seems like a recurring problem with the manufacturer. Bad steel? Bad coatings? Who knows.

Now it only mentions Tacomas, but there is also alot of web traffic on a similar campaign for Tundras. Call your dealer and give him your VIN. Maybe they'll fix it.
Old 07-15-2014, 05:37 PM   #12
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Also, found another article about Tundra frame recalls due to rust. Only applies to first gen, but the 2nd gen is subject to what Toyota calls a "field action"....

"…while Toyota has not determined a defect exists in 2004 through 2006 model year Tundras, Toyota plans on initiating a field action in the near future to prevent future corrosion on those vehicles…at no cost to the owner"

Toyota Tells NHTSA All First Generation Tundras Have Frame Rust Issues | Tundra Headquarters Blog