Tacoma with WDH and Air Bags? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-23-2021, 08:17 PM   #1

Trailer: 2023 E19
Tacoma with WDH and Air Bags?

I recently placed a deposit on an E19. Even though delivery is well over a year away, I am in the process of planning how to best equip my tow vehicle for the task. It’s a 2014 2nd Generation Toyota Tacoma access cab equipped with a manual transmission, V6, 4wd, TRD off-road suspension, and factory tow package. It is also fitted with a Raider fiberglass canopy (150ish lbs). A Tekonsha trailer brake controller will be installed in the near future.
This is the first time that this truck will be used to tow anything of significant weight.

I know that the E19 will be within the Tacoma’s towing, payload, and max GVW/axle weight capabilities. However, I’m also very aware that it won’t take much additional cargo to approach the truck’s payload limits…..especially if I get close to max trailer weight. I plan to use the Fastway E2 WDH offered by Escape to help manage the load and control sway. However, I am debating with myself if I should also invest in rear airbags to assist the stock 4-leaf springs. The intent would be not to rely on the airbags to correct excessive rear sag (hopefully the WDH takes care of that)....but rather help manage the remaining weight on the rear to the best possible extent.

I understand that the Tacoma is a somewhat common TV for the E19. I’m curious about the experiences of other Escape owners with a similar set-up……..
Selkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 11:03 PM   #2

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
We have a 2017 Quad cab Tacoma to tow our 2016 E-19 and use a pro series WDH sold by Escape. I installed a set of Sumo springs (blue) instead of airbags. They don’t effect the unloaded ride and can’t develop a leak. I am very happy with this setup. I think some of the early Tacoma’s had weak springs but I’m not sure when that was fixed.
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 04:58 AM   #3

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
We had a 2008 Tacoma SR5 DC 4X4 (SR5, no tow package), to tow our 2007 Escape 17B. I used to tow it locally only hitch on ball. If I was fully loaded going at least an hour, I would hook up the WDH bars. I doubt you'll need air bags. For the 4Runner, you would need airbags, not the 2nd gen Tacoma.

I wish I never sold that truck.
Old 11-24-2021, 06:19 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
We towed our E19 with a FJ Cruiser, sorry I got rid of the FJ.......
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0367.JPG  
Old 11-24-2021, 08:58 AM   #5

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
Many folks tow with a Tacoma, but I would recommend getting it weighed as you currently have it configured to assess how much GVWR you have left. On my 2016 with a shell, I found i had about 40 lbs to spare with just myself and my wife inside - and we're not that heavy. The WDH would have pushed us over the limit, not to mention supplies. Sumo springs worked well on my Tacoma, but I decided to move up to an F-150.
MarkC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 09:16 AM   #6

Trailer: 2022 E19 Escape
I also use the Sumo springs.
KenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 09:54 AM   #7

If the tow package doesn't include a transmission cooler I would recommend one. Also recommend ScanGauge to monitor tranny temp. Neither are very expensive, especially if you can install the tranny cooler yourself, and really give you peace of mind.
Kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 10:39 AM   #8

Thanks to all for the feedback....

I will take a closer look at Sumo springs as an alternative to air bags. The stock rear leaf springs are the "improved" version and have held up well over the last 8 years.

I've owned my Tacoma since new and it is in excellent condition for its age. Other than the canopy, the truck is bone stock. It has been the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned. As long as I keep up with routine maintenance/repairs, I hope to get few more years of service out of it.

I am very aware of the payload restrictions. It helps that I am a solo traveler, but after factoring in the weight of the canopy, hitch, and myself....I'll only have about 750lbs of payload capacity remaining to handle the tongue weight and any other on-board cargo. It's doable, but I need to remain mindful of the truck's limits. I think it will be adequate for the relatively short distances that I'll be towing in the near-future. For the first few years, the trailer will remain at a fixed location for the most part and primarily serve as a home-away-from-home while working out of town during the summer season.

I plan on keeping the Escape for the long term, and intend to travel more extensively as I approach retirement. The Tacoma will be replaced prior to that point, I'm almost certain that I'll be upgrading to a 1/2 ton. I'll sure miss the manual transmission....
Old 11-24-2021, 12:01 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 (One Life...Live It)
I tow an Escape 21 with a 2014 Tacoma with sumo springs. I have the same truck and canopy as you except it is auto, Sumo springs work well but the make the ride when unloaded a bit rough. In the manual with the WD hitch it says not to use air bags. With the 19 you should have no problem but I would recommend towing mirrors. I had clip on’s on the stock mirrors for the first year but they vibrated a bit.
You can find ACANII Towing mirrors for 2005-2015 Tacoma on Amazon will worth the investment and easy to install. Scan gauge is good but with the manual trans you could skip it unless you want to see your fuel usage on a steep incline
Fun&Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 03:16 PM   #10

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfish View Post
If the tow package doesn't include a transmission cooler I would recommend one. Also recommend ScanGauge to monitor tranny temp. Neither are very expensive, especially if you can install the tranny cooler yourself, and really give you peace of mind.
For a manual transmission? I assume that you're thinking of an automatic transmission.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 06:52 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fun&Sun View Post
You can find ACANII Towing mirrors for 2005-2015 Tacoma on Amazon will worth the investment and easy to install.
Towing mirrors are also on my list of additions. I noticed the model you reference are heated. The unheated stock mirrors have long been a pet peeve! With another winter approaching, I might be adding these sooner than later.

Assuming you have now have the ACANII mirrors installed, did you wire up the heated mirror functionality? If so, how difficult was the process?
Old 11-24-2021, 07:12 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 (One Life...Live It)
They had different selections when I got mine, I just got the power mirrors. I would imagine you would need wiring and a switch if you added the heated mirrors. Might be something to check out what you would need to do for the upgrade. Just as a warning the mirrors have a different glass than the stock, it’s just a flat glass so you don’t get the magnification that the stock Toyota mirrors have.
Fun&Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 11:44 PM   #13

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
We have a 2016 Taco, towed with the just Sumo’s for a couple seasons then installed a add a leaf & Bilstien 5100’s in the rear. The add a leaf added 1 1/2” lift in the rear, nearly the same as the sag when hitched.
Gasguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 01:07 PM   #14
LRL

Trailer: E23Q; previously: 2017 E21
We’ve been towing our E21 2017 with a 2016 6 cylinder Tacoma since we got the trailer in March 2017. I did install the Sumo springs, and think they were worth it. Clearly, the Tacoma works to get up a mountain. Still, we’ve crossed the Sierra’s many times, the Rockies, and the Cascades with no problems. Something more hefty would be easier no doubt. But if you have a Taco, you will be pleased with it’s performance and it will handle your E19 just fine.

Best wishes, and know it’s worth the wait!
Arcata, CA
LRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 08:47 AM   #15

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
You might consider the Active Suspension system which seems to have a better ride unlosddd and is easy to install
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 12:04 PM   #16

Trailer: 2016 ESCAPE 21
I have used air bags for years on Tacomas and also have a set on my f-150. Look at Air Lift and Firestone, they both good air lift bags. Keep your receipt as both come with a lifetime warranty against bag leakage
thumper-tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 09:51 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
For a manual transmission? I assume that you're thinking of an automatic transmission.
Yes. Automatic.
Kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 11:01 PM   #18

Trailer: '09 Escape 17B
I used an add-a-leaf (probably the same as the Sumo) and air bags. I added a Magnuson supercharger for the mountains and passing.
bledsoe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 05:47 AM   #19
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
I had a 2008 4.0 V6 Tacoma TRD off road, 4x4 with a 6-speed manual. The Firestone airbag kit was absolutely the best thing I ever did that truck, and the second best thing was putting BFGoodrich all-terrain ko2 load range e tires on it. When the airbags pumped up, that truck handled heavy loads just great, and drop the airbags to 5 PSI each, and it rode like stock when it was empty. I also upgraded the shocks to some better bilsteins, and perhaps I should have gotten rancho 9,000 if they're available, that's what I put on my F-250 and they Rock you can adjust the damping.

I towed an Escape 21 from Texas back to California by way of Reno, the biggest problem was the gas mileage, on the southern western interstates I was getting 9.6 miles per gallon on tank after tank, and that meant I was looking for gas at 150 miles, on a long drive that's painful.. we ended up getting a bigger truck, because sometimes we carry a lot of gear, carpets one or two pop-up binding awnings, multiple chairs, tables, astronomy gear, huge coolers full of drinks, etc etc etc. If we were light travelers we'd probably still have the Tacoma, although another issue was that my wife can't drive a stick anymore
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote