Tailgate clearance? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 12-29-2017, 02:25 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 21'
Tailgate clearance?

I have a 21' on order and a 2017 F-150 crew cab. I also plan to use the E2 Fastway WD hitch from ETI. Will my tailgate clear everything and come down or will it hit the jack (either the manual or power jack)?

If it hits, what are the potential solutions?
1. Don't put down the tailgate when hooked up.
2. Use a Jack-E-Up
3. Hitch extenders (is this a good idea?)
4. Others?

Thoughts?

(Thanks in advance for your help!)
ericw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 05:29 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Contact!

Your question is simple enough however it will take someone with an identical setup to give you an accurate answer. That said other variables/ possible solutions are:
1. Extra down pressure on the Jack that changes the possible contact point. Might give you clearance
2. At your setup site a Dead level tow rig may contact but tow rig slightly nose down may provide clearance.
3. Once backed into close to where you want to be. Cranking the rear of the tow rig so it's at an angle to the trailer may give you clearance if you don't want to unhook but want to drop the tailgate.
Easy does it.
Iowa Dave
Old 12-29-2017, 06:00 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
(1)(2) or (3) will solve the problem, if it exists, some w/d setups have a longer stinger which may help with clearance issues.
Old 12-29-2017, 07:03 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Clearance

Hi Jim:
Since we don't tow with a pickup I couldn't answer accurately but with the raising of the tailgate on the Highlander and the power jack on the 21 I have encountered and at times overcome clearance issues. Although I don't at all mind unhooking the trailer from the tow rig, as you know, on some of the after dark set ups after a real long tow day and a projected early departure the next morning sometimes " it just ain't worth it". The wine for Christmas was very good. Thanks
Happy New Year
Iowa Dave
Old 12-29-2017, 07:20 PM   #5

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
I like the Escape because it has a long tongue. I will be moving the propane tanks back against the front wall, then mounting two batteries length wise (front to back) in front of the tanks, then making a custom mount for the jack between the two batteries. This will get it back so my tailgate will fold down...have not done it yet so no pics.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 07:45 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 "LollyPop" June 12, 2017, sold Coleman pop up
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericw View Post
I have a 21' on order and a 2017 F-150 crew cab. I also plan to use the E2 Fastway WD hitch from ETI. Will my tailgate clear everything and come down or will it hit the jack (either the manual or power jack)?

If it hits, what are the potential solutions?
1. Don't put down the tailgate when hooked up.
2. Use a Jack-E-Up
3. Hitch extenders (is this a good idea?)
4. Others?

Thoughts?

(Thanks in advance for your help!)
With a 2015 Silverado 1500 crewcab and a 21' with the E2 fastway wd hitch there is clearance for the tailgate- no problem at all. I know that does not answer your question but maybe it will help someone else.
casejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 08:51 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
I have 2012 F250 and use the Curt adjustable hitch: CURT Manufacturing - CURT Adjustable Channel Mount #45901
With a 12" shank length and with the crank handle down the tailgate will open all the way. Obviously with a F250 there is very little drop of the rear suspension. I decided to take a chance and not have a sway and/or weight distribution device. When I drove home from Sumas to Austin I never experienced any sway. The trailer tows beautifully. With my previous trailer (bigger, heavier and longer), I used 'The Equalizer Hitch' and there was no problem opening the tailgate. Even used it on my previous truck, an 05 Silverado 1500 CC and could open the tailgate.
James Gang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 11:26 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
The front storage box (largely) eliminates the need to open the tailgate when hooked up. At least for my camping.

As mentioned, it would take an extension stinger to clear properly, at least on mine.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 10:08 AM   #9

Trailer: 2011 Casita SD 17 Sold July 2016: 2015 Escape 21 Aug 2016
My Jack-E-Up Experience

As Iowa Dave has noted, it will take someone with an identical setup to give you a definitive answer, but my experience may help you or others avoid potential problems.

I have a 2015 21' Escape, an '07 Toyota Tundra and the Anderson weight distribution hitch ETI used to sell. In my case there is not enough clearance for the tailgate to open fully, and I do often want access to the back of the truck when hitched up. In the case of the Anderson hitch the stinger and ball are an integrated unit and necessary to the proper function of the hitch. So the extended stinger must come from Anderson -- at a cost of nearly $200, if memory serves. I'm not familiar with other hitches, but something to research before assuming that any extended stinger will work.

So, I installed a Jack-E-Up. I had used one and liked it on our previous Casita. However the Escape has a power jack (we bought it used and that's how it came) and it does not work as well. The jack has to rotate about !/4 to 1/3 turn to engage properly, and there is really not enough space between the powerhead of the jack and the propane tank cover to accommodate that. So I often have to remove the tank cover to install or remove the jack. It works, and not to big of a PIA. But I'd recommend the manual jack if you anticipate using the Jack-E-Up.

Paul
a602pmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 11:16 AM   #10

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
We tow our 2015 with an F-150 and my b-i-l gave us a Jack-E-Up for Xmas. We are looking forward to trying it, and will report back.
Old 12-30-2017, 12:55 PM   #11

Trailer: 2016 - Escape 19 (2nd Gen), 2021 F150 Powerboost
Some folks modify their tailgate by opening it and then backing into a post. If you do it right then there should be no issues with clearance

My Ram tailgate clears the 19' Escape jack when I use the Fastway hitch. --no other modifications were necessary.
davescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 12:18 AM   #12

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
I have 2018 Escape 21 with electric tongue jack, used to tow with 2009 Tundra, and tailgate would open while hitched, was awesome! Then I got 2020 Tundra, not enough clearance now, just need maybe another 1/2", bummer. I think the difference is the hitch installed on tow is closer to back of tow on newer Tundra.

As mentioned above, I'm able to use the jack to raise the trailer and lower the tailgate, then lower the trailer to set the tailgate all the way down, otherwise it doesn't clear the top of the trailer coupler. Too much of a dance for me, so I'm looking to get a longer stinger, looks like will cost approx $150. Cheers
CharlesPou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 07:10 AM   #13

Trailer: 2011 Casita SD 17 Sold July 2016: 2015 Escape 21 Aug 2016
As mentioned in my post (#9) above, it used to be that to get a longer stinger from Andersen was a custom build, at a price of something north of $200. Since then they must have been getting a lot of requests for such a thing because they now stock one that is three inches longer than the original, that comes with the integrated sway control. It is only a bit more than $100 (or was six months or so ago).

So I ordered one. All problems solved. Adequate clearance, removed the Jack-E-Up and reinstalled the electric jack in its permanent position. I notice no appreciable difference in the squat or tow characteristics of the rig with the additional 3" length of the stinger. In my case it was the perfect solution.
a602pmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 08:15 AM   #14

Trailer: 2019 21- Escape
I too had problems with the tailgate of my 2016 Colorado clearing the head of my electric tongue jack. The head of the jack was easily rotated 90 degrees. Now clearance isn't a problem.
firstpug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 10:21 AM   #15

rotate jack head 90 degrees, wow genius! I wish I had thought of that, or seen your post before I ordered a new longer hitch shaft/ stinger, oh well. I did get a good price, found the what I needed at Lowe's for a lot less than anywhere else. appears to be a cheaper cast iron knockoff, but still a Reese brand part, so should do the job. we will see when comes in. I always say, the longer you look, the cheaper it gets. Cheers
CharlesPou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 12:59 PM   #16

I have a 21, and a 2017 Tundra. I did the 90 degree jack rotation and the tailgate clearance is great.
papasm2 is offline   Reply With Quote