Tailgate Clearance 21C - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 05-03-2021, 07:09 PM   #1

Trailer: 2023 Escape 21C
Tailgate Clearance 21C

I spoke with Karl Kenny about the possible need to replace the Fastway e2 Shank with a Curt shank that extends the adjustment holes 10' out from the hitch pin vs. 8" . Karl wasn't optimistic saying that 90% of the time a pickup truck tailgate will not clear. I may or not need an extra inch or two to be able to open the tailgate after turning the Power Jack 90 degrees. I believe from previous forum discussions that
I would gain 3" by turning the head I need 4". To save me the trouble of purchasing the Curt Shank and bringing it with me to Sumas in case I have to swap out shanks prior to travelling back to NC I would like to ask the following: Would it be possible for a 21C owner to place the edge of a level on the center of the ball of the coupler and measure back to the face of the Jack and provide me with that dimension and let me know if that measurement is taken with the Jack facing forward or rotating 90 degress,

Thank you
Jim
Greatboatz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 09:36 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
I have a f150 with the cheapest wd hitch they offered in 2017 and it clears. I’ll try to measure it tomorrow for you. I also have a different power jack than they offer now. What truck do you have ?
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 10:01 PM   #3

I have an 5.3L, 2004 Silverado with 67,000 miles. The distance from the center of the hitch pin to the end of my tailgate is 16". Fastway says the distance from the hitch pin to the center of the ball is 12"
Old 05-04-2021, 08:05 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Just about any Walmart has a collection of hitch extenders, another option.
Old 05-04-2021, 08:21 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Just about any Walmart has a collection of hitch extenders, another option.
Jim ,
Thanks for the info. The ones I found extend 6+ to 8+ inches which seems extreme and according to etrailer can reduce your tongue by 50%.

Jim.
Old 05-04-2021, 09:20 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Rather than an extender, I use this 13" pin to ball hitch from Curt with a lifted 2017 21C & 2018 F 150 Off Road. No WDH. At some angles you will still not be able to open the tailgate...
Old 05-04-2021, 09:31 AM   #7

Several of these could work https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Tra...nch_Hitch.aspx and do not extend too far.....
Old 05-04-2021, 12:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
Rather than an extender, I use this 13" pin to ball hitch from Curt with a lifted 2017 21C & 2018 F 150 Off Road. No WDH. At some angles you will still not be able to open the tailgate...
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Several of these could work https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Tra...nch_Hitch.aspx and do not extend too far.....
Thank you Jim and Jon,

I never heard of a WD Hitch until I read the "Our Cracked Egg " post. I became convinced it is a necessity when pulling a tandem axel trailer. Apparently Jon you do well with out one. My older ( but low mileage) 2004 Silverado is not nearly has high as the newer pickups. The inside bottom of my receiver is only 12 1/2 " up from the ground. Ordering the high lift package means I probably need 6" of rise.
As far as the distance from the hitch pin to the adjustment holes the standard Fastway e2 shank has a max rise of 6" and 8" from the hitch pin to the adjustment holes. Curt has 3 models they may work for me:
17103 14" hole to hole 7" rise
17102 12" hole to hole 6" rise
17120 10" hole to hole 8 7/8 " rise.
I am leaning towards the 17120. I am concerned about extending out too far as to how it may affect handling and tongue weight. I think I should just bite the bullet and buy one and have it with me, rotate the Jack and be prepared to swap shanks in Sumas
I appreciate your input. I
Old 05-04-2021, 12:14 PM   #9

Having owned 4 Escapes as well as another half a dozen other brands, I have a garage full of used shanks and other towing paraphernalia.....real cheap.....
Old 05-04-2021, 06:48 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape 21 2018 "Gypsy Cat"
Lippert Electric Jack to Hitch Ball measurements on E21C

[/QUOTE]...I would like to ask the following: Would it be possible for a 21C owner to place the edge of a level on the center of the ball of the coupler and measure back to the face of the Jack and provide me with that dimension and let me know if that measurement is taken with the Jack facing forward or rotating 90 degress,

Thank you
Jim[/QUOTE]

I may have measured this somewhat differently than requested by using the level to establish the front plane of the jack, but get ~4.25 inches from the center of the ball to the front plane of the forward-facing Lippert electric jack.

Assuming the jack rotates in place when one turns it sideways and noting a 1.75 inch projection of the side plane from the pipe, it appears one can pick up 2.5 inches of additional space by rotating the jack. Previous estimates note 3 inches, so it is likely in this range.

The forward facing measurement includes the projection of the switches and may slightly underestimate the available room, depending on where along the pipe the tailgate most closely approaches the pipe as it is lowered.

In any case, I hope the following pictures are useful and invite measurements from others on the forum.

Photos are of a forward-facing Lippert electric jack on an E21C.

A previous thread relevant to this discussion is at:

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Thanks!

Claude
Attached Thumbnails
E21C Front Jack Clearance.jpg   E21C Side Jack Clearance.jpg  
MadCAT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 12:39 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadCAT3 View Post

I may have measured this somewhat differently than requested by using the level to establish the front plane of the jack, but get ~4.25 inches from the center of the ball to the front plane of the forward-facing Lippert electric jack.

Assuming the jack rotates in place when one turns it sideways and noting a 1.75 inch projection of the side plane from the pipe, it appears one can pick up 2.5 inches of additional space by rotating the jack. Previous estimates note 3 inches, so it is likely in this range.

The forward facing measurement includes the projection of the switches and may slightly underestimate the available room, depending on where along the pipe the tailgate most closely approaches the pipe as it is lowered.

In any case, I hope the following pictures are useful and invite measurements from others on the forum.

Photos are of a forward-facing Lippert electric jack on an E21C.
Thanks!
Claude
Thanks Claude,
Now knowing the clearance from the center to the front face of the power jack is approximately 4.25" and an additional approximately 2.5 " of clearance can be obtained by turning the jack its is possible for a pickup truck owner to determine if he will have adequate clearance to open his tailgate.
According to etrailer.com that with the 92-00-0600 WDH that ETI uses the distance from the center of the hitch pin hole to the center of the ball is 12". In my case using a level I projected the distance from the hitch pin hole to end of my tailgate at 16". I need at least 4 more inches clearance. Obviously to close to the margin of error to the 4.25 inches you measured. But, by tuning the jack I can gain about 2.5" additional clearance.
As all trucks vary I believe the starting point should be from the hitch pin hole. An owner can then project to the end of their tailgate. That plus the clearance information you provided form the center of the ball should make it possible to know if you have adequate clearance.
Thank you again for taking the time to take those measurements.
Jim A.
Old 05-05-2021, 03:20 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatboatz3 View Post
I spoke with Karl Kenny about the possible need to replace the Fastway e2 Shank with a Curt shank that extends the adjustment holes 10' out from the hitch pin vs. 8" . Karl wasn't optimistic saying that 90% of the time a pickup truck tailgate will not clear. I may or not need an extra inch or two to be able to open the tailgate after turning the Power Jack 90 degrees. I believe from previous forum discussions that
I would gain 3" by turning the head I need 4". To save me the trouble of purchasing the Curt Shank and bringing it with me to Sumas in case I have to swap out shanks prior to travelling back to NC I would like to ask the following: Would it be possible for a 21C owner to place the edge of a level on the center of the ball of the coupler and measure back to the face of the Jack and provide me with that dimension and let me know if that measurement is taken with the Jack facing forward or rotating 90 degress,

Thank you
Jim

Sorry it took me a couple of days. The distance from the center of the coupler to the front edge of my jack is 7.5 in. The length of the stinger from the front edge of the reciever to the center of the ball is 12 3/4 inches.
I have the pro series wd hitch and my truck is a 2004 f150 extended cab.
Hope that helps. My tail gate clears when hooked up.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 06:21 PM   #13

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
Have a look at my post "long shank- Fastway e2" dated 04/04/2021.
RB.
R.Best is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 06:51 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwave View Post
Sorry it took me a couple of days. The distance from the center of the coupler to the front edge of my jack is 7.5 in. The length of the stinger from the front edge of the reciever to the center of the ball is 12 3/4 inches.
I have the pro series wd hitch and my truck is a 2004 f150 extended cab.
Hope that helps. My tail gate clears when hooked up.
Thanks John,
I guess a lot depends on the truck and which WDH hitch you have. In my case from the end of the receiver to the center of the ball/ coupler is calculated to be 9 1/2"based on my truck and the specs of the e2 hitch.

Thank you
Jim A
Old 05-06-2021, 06:37 AM   #15

Trailer: 2012 Escape-19
You also have the Jack E Up option. If you use an electric jack you can put a connector on your power wire.
Eddie
https://jack-e-up.com/shop-2/
elongest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 06:56 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by elongest View Post
You also have the Jack E Up option. If you use an electric jack you can put a connector on your power wire.
Eddie
https://jack-e-up.com/shop-2/
Does Jack E Up work with ETI’s power jacks?
Old 05-06-2021, 07:04 AM   #17

Trailer: 2012 Escape-19
I'm sure ETI's jack is hard wired but you can install a connector so the jack can be removed. Amazon sells an electric jack that plugs into your 7 way plug that is also an option.
Eddie
https://www.amazon.com/Uriah-Product...302490&sr=8-22
elongest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 03:46 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Best View Post
Have a look at my post "long shank- Fastway e2" dated 04/04/2021.
RB.
\\

R.Best, I recall your post and I commented on it at the time. What I didn't know at the time was how far aft of the center of the Ball the face of the power jack is. That approximately 4" plus what additional clearance I achieve by rotating the jack should be sufficient.
Thanks to all that contributed.
Jim A