Tailgate clearance of 5.0 backing downhill - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-02-2022, 05:13 PM   #1

Trailer: 2022 5.0TA
Tailgate clearance of 5.0 backing downhill

Hello,

Long time lurker. First post.
Like many others we are struggling trying decide between a 21C and a 5.0. Leaning heavily towards getting a 5.0 but need to double check a few things first.

Our tow vehicle is a 2018 F150, 4x4, supercrew, 6.5’ bed, with 1668# payload capacity. The tailgate height & bed rail height is about 55.5”.
I’m guessing the 1660# payload will probably mean we will be running near legal limit most of the time. But loading is something I have control over.

My real concern is regarding the space between the TV tailgate/bedrail and the 5.0TA's front and pin box.

We have an immediate 10 degree downward slope when going from the road (level) down my driveway. Any insight/thoughts whether I am going to have a problem with the trailer hitting the back of the bed rails or tailgate when backing down my driveway? I plan on getting the extra 2” trailer lift.

Situation is similar to:
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post305098

Thanks for any wisdom.
MD-Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 05:20 PM   #2

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
The post you link is mine. I also have 55.5" bed rail height and the high lift kit, and the 9" of clearance that gives me clears my driveway. Don't know what the exact angle is but I'm guessing at least ten degrees if not more.
Old 03-02-2022, 05:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
The post you link is mine. I also have 55.5" bed rail height and the high lift kit, and the 9" of clearance that gives me clears my driveway. Don't know what the exact angle is but I'm guessing at least ten degrees if not more.
David,

Thanks for the fast reply. I realize you don't have my measurements but is your clearance a comfortable margin (2+ inches) or is it cringe-worthy? It could be a show stopper for us purchasing a 5.0. I don't see any easy workarounds if there's a chance of contact.
Old 03-02-2022, 05:50 PM   #4

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Quote:
Originally Posted by MD-Escape View Post
David,

Thanks for the fast reply. I realize you don't have my measurements but is your clearance a comfortable margin (2+ inches) or is it cringe-worthy? It could be a show stopper for us purchasing a 5.0. I don't see any easy workarounds if there's a chance of contact.
My clearance is between one and two inches - never measured it. The first time I backed very slowly over the hump while Mary watched the tailgate and trailer frame, and called out "Clear!" when I was over the hump and the gap started increasing again. It is comfortable enough that after the first few tentative times, now I just drive in and out without even thinking about the clearance.
Old 03-02-2022, 07:40 PM   #5

Great! Thanks for helping me check one more doubt off my list. Path to a 5.0 is getting more irresistible.
Old 03-03-2022, 06:25 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Welcome to the Escape world MD-Escape,
Tell us a little about your wants and desires in a new Escape? From a dislocated Marylander to Pennsylvania upon retirement member who is waiting for their fifth Escape!
Old 03-03-2022, 07:47 PM   #7

Just the opposite...Pennsylvanians relocated to Maryland. We are both Nittany Lions. Still a ways to retirement but wanted to enjoy a few laps around the country while still able. I'm a life-long deep woods tent camper, hiker, paddler, etc but it was time to try something new.

Can't wait to get our Escape, make some mods, take the slow routes around our great country and perhaps meet some folks from this forum along the way. The information I've learned from everyone here has been invaluable. Thanks!