This is the contradiction... - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-16-2020, 03:06 PM   #21

Trailer: 2012 E19
I would have asked someone in (not sales but) service. They might have run the vin and come up with more precise data... or maybe not.

If for some reason the OEM receiver won't support WD, since the Ford towing info (if I haven't misunderstood) allows for the possiblity of using WD, perhaps an upgrade to an aftermarket receiver with more/better chassis attachment points would enable use of WD. Just a thought.
Old 07-16-2020, 03:49 PM   #22

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Click image for larger version

Name:	156816A7-393C-46BF-B320-E394D24161FEa.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	262.7 KB
ID:	48744

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
This is from the Manual- For towing trailers up to 3500 pounds (1588 kilograms), use a weight-carrying hitch and ball, which uniformly spreads the trailer tongue loads through your vehicle's underbody structure. For towing trailers over 3500 pounds (1588 kilograms), up to the maximum trailer weight, we recommend you use a weight-distributing hitch to increase front axle load while towing.
Okay, let me ask you this. The sticker says you can tow 5000 lbs and have a 500 lb tongue weight. The sticker says see the manual for specifics.

Since the sticker says 5000 lbs and 500 lb tongue weight, but, the manual says use a weight distributing hitch for trailers over 3500 lbs, do you think it is ok to ignore the manual and go by the sticker and tow a 5000 lb trailer without a weight distributing hitch?

If not why wouldn't you follow what the manual says about using a weight distributing hitch with the receiver?

The receiver says 'SEE OWNER MANUAL FOR SPECIFIC RATING' and the manual says "For towing trailers up to 3500 pounds (1588 kilograms), use a weight-carrying hitch and ball, which uniformly spreads the trailer tongue loads through your vehicle's underbody structure. For towing trailers over 3500 pounds (1588 kilograms), up to the maximum trailer weight, we recommend you use a weight-distributing hitch to increase front axle load while towing."

The manual says nothing about changing out the receiver, in order to use a weight distributing hitch.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 05:01 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
Attachment 48744

Okay, let me ask you this. The sticker says you can tow 5000 lbs and have a 500 lb tongue weight. The sticker says see the manual for specifics.

Since the sticker says 5000 lbs and 500 lb tongue weight, but, the manual says use a weight distributing hitch for trailers over 3500 lbs, do you think it is ok to ignore the manual and go by the sticker and tow a 5000 lb trailer without a weight distributing hitch?

If not why wouldn't you follow what the manual says about using a weight distributing hitch with the receiver?

The receiver says 'SEE OWNER MANUAL FOR SPECIFIC RATING' and the manual says "For towing trailers up to 3500 pounds (1588 kilograms), use a weight-carrying hitch and ball, which uniformly spreads the trailer tongue loads through your vehicle's underbody structure. For towing trailers over 3500 pounds (1588 kilograms), up to the maximum trailer weight, we recommend you use a weight-distributing hitch to increase front axle load while towing."

The manual says nothing about changing out the receiver, in order to use a weight distributing hitch.
The Label also says ‘Weight Carrying’ 500/5000, the Manual says ‘we recommend’. The Receiver label says the hitch is capable of WC of 500/5000. The Manual is concerned about drivability when it discusses 3500. That’s how I take it. With that in mind I’d like to know the capability of the Receiver with a WDH and that rating should be posted on the label....most others are, why not on this vehicle?
Voyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 05:22 PM   #24

When you purchase any load carrying piece of equipment, whether chain, cable or straps..the capability is clearly marked and rated in pounds or tons for the intended purpose. This receiver should be marked or labeled with its weight rating for its intended purpose.
Old 07-16-2020, 07:28 PM   #25

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
...and they would never list the HP rating at 290 Horses and then mention ‘ oh by the way you can get a Supercharger and add 40% more boost in HP. So, I don’t think they are referring to an aftermarket WD Reciever . That would be dumb IMO. In the end...I don’t know what the heck they are saying.
While it is true that auto manufacturers do not generally endorse aftermarket powertrain modifications and never state capabilities based on them, towing equipment is very different. For instance, most light duty vehicles which allow towing require the use of trailer brakes for trailers over about 1,000 pounds, but include no provisions (even optionally) for an electric brake controller - they expect and endorse the use of aftermarket brake controllers. Even the ones which are wired for a brake controller (as standard equipment or as a factory or dealer-installed option) expect the owner to provide and install the controller unless they have an in-dash controller... and even then an aftermarket controller is still allowed.

My Toyota Sienna allows the use of a WD hitch, requires it for a hitch weight over 350 pounds, and allows more hitch weight if WD is used... but there is no WD-capable hitch receiver offered by Toyota. That's not a problem, because the heaviest allowed trailer can still be towed without WD, and Sienna owners who want to use WD anyway just buy an aftermarket receiver.

It looks like the towing guide's description of the factory-available hitch for this vehicle is incorrect: it shows the vehicle's WD rating as if it is that hitch receiver's rating.

This is a little weird, because Ford should have just sold a WD-rated receiver for this application, since WD is needed to reach the vehicle's maximum trailer weight.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 07:43 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
Just curious, can anyone point me to a requirement regarding the labeling on OE vehicle hitch receivers in the US?
SAE J684 establishes performance and functional criteria for hitch receivers, but apparently does not impose any labelling standard.
Not me - there likely isn't one, as the closest applicable standard is indeed SAE J684 (the one which defines the weight classes) and that standard doesn't even mention the existence of WD, so of course it doesn't set labelling requirements for it. I'm not aware of a regulatory standard, but there might be one. I suspect that manufacturer just put labels on to avoid misunderstandings.

J684 sets strength and testing requirements for hitches, but doesn't even mention the possibility of a hitch system with a ball mount which can be removed from a receiver. Almost everything commonly stated about "the standard" for hitches, other than the class limits for total trailer weight - is actually nowhere in this standard or the older VESC V-5.

Quote:
Can anyone show me anything authoritative stating that the absence of any reference to use of a WDH on an OE receiver label (distinct from the presence of a reference with no entry or a 'do not' notation) is evidence positive that OE receiver is not suitable for use with a WDH?
Just the logic that if the label specifies weight-carrying, it means weight-carrying, not the opposite. If the mode (weight-carrying or weight-distributing) didn't affect the rating, then logically either both terms or neither term would appear.

Putting the weight-carrying limits on the label and no other limits, while allowing weight-distributing operation, would be like telling someone that they can do something on odd-numbered days, and leaving it to them to assume that they can do it on even-numbered days as well... why mention the day if it is not relevant?

Of course, it could just be a label designed by a moron. It is a Ford.
Old 07-16-2020, 07:48 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
I would have asked someone in (not sales but) service. They might have run the vin and come up with more precise data... or maybe not.
I wouldn't bother asking anyone in service anything except what it costs to perform a service. If they could run the VIN and get information that would be helpful, but only if I could see what is displayed to them. They may know how to install a hitch receiver, but how to use the vehicle is certainly way outside their scope of knowledge and responsibility.

I might ask Ford (customer assistance, not anyone at any dealership) but I would be prepared to get no useful information in response. This isn't a Ford thing; it's just the reality of looking for technical information about a consumer product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
If for some reason the OEM receiver won't support WD, since the Ford towing info (if I haven't misunderstood) allows for the possiblity of using WD, perhaps an upgrade to an aftermarket receiver with more/better chassis attachment points would enable use of WD.
Yes, that seems likely to me. Both common brands of aftermarket hitch receiver (Draw-tite/Reese and Curt) for the 2014 Explorer are rated WD use... although they have lower ratings in weight-carrying mode than the factory receiver.
Old 07-16-2020, 07:50 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
While it is true that auto manufacturers do not generally endorse aftermarket powertrain modifications and never state capabilities based on them, towing equipment is very different. For instance, most light duty vehicles which allow towing require the use of trailer brakes for trailers over about 1,000 pounds, but include no provisions (even optionally) for an electric brake controller - they expect and endorse the use of aftermarket brake controllers. Even the ones which are wired for a brake controller (as standard equipment or as a factory or dealer-installed option) expect the owner to provide and install the controller unless they have an in-dash controller... and even then an aftermarket controller is still allowed.

My Toyota Sienna allows the use of a WD hitch, requires it for a hitch weight over 350 pounds, and allows more hitch weight if WD is used... but there is no WD-capable hitch receiver offered by Toyota. That's not a problem, because the heaviest allowed trailer can still be towed without WD, and Sienna owners who want to use WD anyway just buy an aftermarket receiver.

It looks like the towing guide's description of the factory-available hitch for this vehicle is incorrect: it shows the vehicle's WD rating as if it is that hitch receiver's rating.

This is a little weird, because Ford should have just sold a WD-rated receiver for this application, since WD is needed to reach the vehicle's maximum trailer weight.
That’s pretty much how I see it. I’ve looked closely at the aftermarket Curt and Reese WDs for this vehicle. It looks as if they install the same way as the Factory receiver. The difference...and I’m no expert, is that the Factory receiver incorporates the Bumper in some fashion, I’m sure to achieve the flush mount appearance. That’s mainly what I’m afraid of, That it will destroy the bumper and perhaps other areas with stresses and torque that it wasn’t designed for. There’s no doubt it’s strong enough, because it’s frame mounted in the same way the others are...it’s just that bumper thing.
Old 07-16-2020, 07:55 PM   #29

...and I heard from a hitch welder outfit, that the thing isn’t easy to remove. So I’m stuck..I can’t even put on an aftermarket hitch.
Old 07-16-2020, 07:57 PM   #30

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
You should go on the Ford Explorer Forum- I get a lot of good info from the Expedition one.
Old 07-16-2020, 08:06 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
You should go on the Ford Explorer Forum- I get a lot of good info from the Expedition one.
I’m on their my friend...same thing as here, lots of opinions and thoughts, but no definitive answer. Good bunch of guys tho.
Old 07-16-2020, 08:08 PM   #32

Quote:
...and I heard from a hitch welder outfit, that the thing isn’t easy to remove. So I’m stuck..I can’t even put on an aftermarket hitch.
Hitch installers like to be able to slap hitch receivers in without touching even the bumper cover, but factory hitches are often tucked nicely under that cover. "Not easy" might mean just "takes an extra hour that I don't want to spend". Also, who welds hitches? In this century, they're bolt-on.
Old 07-16-2020, 08:20 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Hitch installers like to be able to slap hitch receivers in without touching even the bumper cover, but factory hitches are often tucked nicely under that cover. "Not easy" might mean just "takes an extra hour that I don't want to spend". Also, who welds hitches? In this century, they're bolt-on.
That’s just his business. Installing aftermarket hitches and welding...like plows, trailer frames etc.
Old 07-16-2020, 08:37 PM   #34

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Just FYI, Diagram Key # 19 (clearly a replaceable bolt-on component):

https://www.tascaparts.com/auto-part...ents-rear-scat

Any competent cooperative dealer, with your VIN, can access the build-sheet for your vehicle and reveal whether or not your receiver was factory installed OE, if you have doubts about that.

I suppose you can construe that an improper / de-rated OE integrated hitch receiver was erroneously installed on your vehicle during assembly as 'evidenced' by the 'lacking label' and therefore the limits and provisions explicitly stated in the Owners Manual don't apply.

OR, you can simply let your label obsession be your guide, forego the use of a WDH, accept that the hitch is is non-replaceable, and go from there (buy a new tow-vehicle?).

Sounds a bit extreme, but much of your argument has that 'ring' (IMO) .... no worries, do what you will, best wishes, good luck, and happy trailering!
Old 07-16-2020, 08:59 PM   #35

Trailer: 2020 21NE - dual dinettes
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherminator View Post
neither of the Ford pickups I use for towing (2011 Ranger and 2017 F150) have stickers that mention WDH. Apparently Ford doesn't know what a "regular" Class III sticker is supposed to look like
My post above is wrong. I do have stickers that give ratings with and without WDH. Once again, I engaged my keyboard before double checking myself. I know better, but still fail.
sherminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 09:01 PM   #36

Quote:
Just FYI, Diagram Key # 19 (clearly a replaceable bolt-on component):

https://www.tascaparts.com/auto-part...ents-rear-scat

Any competent cooperative dealer, with your VIN, can access the build-sheet for your vehicle and reveal whether or not your receiver was factory installed OE, if you have doubts about that.

I suppose you can construe that an improper / de-rated OE integrated hitch receiver was erroneously installed on your vehicle during assembly as 'evidenced' by the 'lacking label' and therefore the limits and provisions explicitly stated in the Owners Manual don't apply.

OR, you can simply let your label obsession be your guide, forego the use of a WDH, accept that the hitch is is non-replaceable, and go from there (buy a new tow-vehicle?).

Sounds a bit extreme, but much of your argument has that 'ring' (IMO) .... no worries, do what you will, best wishes, good luck, and happy trailering!
Here again, if you go back and read....I never felt this was not the proper and the best Ford has for a factory receiver. It is the real McCoy Class III receiver and the label is the same as all other Explorers with the 52T package. It’s the only Class III they offer. 3rd time I said that.
Old 07-16-2020, 09:04 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherminator View Post
My post above is wrong. I do have stickers that give ratings with and without WDH. Once again, I engaged my keyboard before double checking myself. I know better, but still fail.
At least you shoot straight. Not many correct themselves.
Old 07-16-2020, 09:25 PM   #38

Quote:
Here again, if you go back and read....I never felt this was not the proper and the best Ford has for a factory receiver. It is the real McCoy Class III receiver and the label is the same as all other Explorers with the 52T package. It’s the only Class III they offer. 3rd time I said that.
No worries, if your confidence that you have the OE package remains unshaken, then the "OR" paragraph in my post, and what follows, applies

Quote:
At least you shoot straight. Not many correct themselves.
FWIW I did verify that my 2005 F150 and 2019 Ridgeline OE receiver labels are absent mention of WDH use before I posted (I had no certain recall before I looked and also re-read the applicable Owner's Manuals).
Old 07-16-2020, 09:36 PM   #39

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
FWIW- this is my sticker, a QR code! Didn't bother to scan & open as this is a Body On Frame SUV.
Attached Thumbnails
20200716_191818.jpg  
Old 07-16-2020, 09:39 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
FWIW- this is my sticker, a QR code!
OMG, only 'label rated' for a 'virtual' trailer!