This is the contradiction... - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 07-16-2020, 09:47 PM   #41

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
FWIW- this is my sticker, a QR code! Didn't bother to scan & open as this is a Body On Frame SUV.
If it’s the Expedition you mention in your profile, I don’t think you have any worries. Then again, you’re from CA so maybe you do. Just not towing worries.
Voyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 09:55 PM   #42

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Ha ha- exactly! Been looking for a new Shangri-La for 6 years now. Becoming more motivated daily.
Old 07-16-2020, 09:58 PM   #43

I could be like this guy.
Attached Thumbnails
D65B5D64-2D35-4122-88DC-6D537B210DCE.jpeg  
Old 07-16-2020, 09:59 PM   #44

Quote:
Ha ha- exactly! Been looking for a new Shangri-La for 6 years now. Becoming more motivated daily.
Well don’t come here...I wouldn’t have said that 2 mos ago.
Old 07-16-2020, 10:12 PM   #45

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
No worries- used to play tennis with MN summer refugee. His stories of helicopter size mosquitos still resonate. Had enough of them in Cocoa Beach with the fog trucks rolling through at night.
Old 07-16-2020, 10:15 PM   #46

Quote:
No worries- used to play tennis with MN summer refugee. His stories of helicopter size mosquitos still resonate. Had enough of them in Cocoa Beach with the fog trucks rolling through at night.
...and biting flies
Old 07-17-2020, 05:41 AM   #47

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Our south TX mosquitos take no stuff. I saw one standing flat footed whumping on a big ole wild turkey.
Old 07-17-2020, 07:49 AM   #48

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by 75thRanger View Post
Our south TX mosquitos take no stuff. I saw one standing flat footed whumping on a big ole wild turkey.
Guess it was an off day for him picking on something so small
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 10:00 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
...and I heard from a hitch welder outfit, that the thing isn’t easy to remove. So I’m stuck..I can’t even put on an aftermarket hitch.
You do NOT want to do that anyway. You're going in completely the wrong direction. If there was any problem with using a weight distribution hitch, it would be with the unibody construction of your vehicle, not the receiver itself.

Since the manual specifically says USE A WEIGHT DISTRIBUTING HITCH for trailers between 3500 and 5000 lbs the issue isn't the vehicle.

You're getting all worked up over a 25 cent sticker on a hitch receiver that Ford likely uses on many models of vehicles. So they say don't go over 5000 lbs and see specifics in the manual for whatever tow vehicle that Ford installed that hitch receiver on.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 10:29 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
You do NOT want to do that anyway. You're going in completely the wrong direction. If there was any problem with using a weight distribution hitch, it would be with the unibody construction of your vehicle, not the receiver itself.

Since the manual specifically says USE A WEIGHT DISTRIBUTING HITCH for trailers between 3500 and 5000 lbs the issue isn't the vehicle.

You're getting all worked up over a 25 cent sticker on a hitch receiver that Ford likely uses on many models of vehicles. So they say don't go over 5000 lbs and see specifics in the manual for whatever tow vehicle that Ford installed that hitch receiver on.
Probably. In the end, I will wind up with the WDH on. I just like things to be clear. You’ve got more regulations, certifications and procedures clearly written for hoists, cranes and forklifts than you do with a 6000 lb vehicle hurling down the highway at 60 mph towing 3500 lbs. There should be no question.
Old 07-17-2020, 10:36 AM   #51

Quote:
Probably. In the end, I will wind up with the WDH on. I just like things to be clear. You’ve got more regulations, certifications and procedures clearly written for hoists, cranes and forklifts than you do with a 6000 lb vehicle hurling down the highway at 60 mph towing 3500 lbs. There should be no question.
The weight on the labels for the hoist, cranes, and forklifts are all specific to the item they are attached to. The label on your hitch receiver is generic because what can be towed with that hitch receiver is specific to and changes with the vehicle it is installed on. That is why the label says see the manual for specifics.
Old 07-17-2020, 01:20 PM   #52

Yeah ok..so stick a sticker on my receiver that’s vehicle specific...just like the vehicle specific Vin and GVWR stickers in my door jam.You make it sound like it’s a terrible burden for Ford.
Old 07-17-2020, 02:03 PM   #53

Quote:
Yeah ok..so stick a sticker on my receiver that’s vehicle specific...just like the vehicle specific Vin and GVWR stickers in my door jam.You make it sound like it’s a terrible burden for Ford.
The Pinto Memo: ‘It’s Cheaper to let them Burn!’

The Infamous "Pinto Memo"

The following figures are drawn from the 1973 memorandum* written for and circulated amongst senior management at the Ford Motor Company concerning cost-benefit analysis of retrofitting or altering production of autos and light trucks susceptible to fires from leaking gas tanks after roll-over.

Fatalities Associated with Crash-Induced Fuel Leakage and Fires

Expected Costs of producing the Pinto with fuel tank modifications:
Expected unit sales: 11 million vehicles (includes utility vehicles built on same chassis)
Modification costs per unit: $11.00

Total Cost: $121 million (11,000,000 vehicles x $11.00 per unit)

Expected Costs of producing the Pinto without fuel tank modifications:
Expected accident results (assuming 2100 accidents)
180 burn deaths
180 serious burn injuries
2100 burned out vehicles

Unit costs of accident results (assuming out of court settlements)
$200,000 per burn death
$67,000 per serious injury
$700 per burned out vehicle

Total Costs: $49.53 million (180 deaths x $200k) + (180 injuries x $67k) + (2100 vehicles x $700 per vehicle)

(*http://www.calbaptist.edu/dskubik/pinto.htm)

And you expect Ford to put an new sticker on every hitch receiver?
Old 07-17-2020, 04:53 PM   #54

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
Yeah, I would do the same. And once in a while I'd look underneath to inspect the receiver and attachment points just to satisfy myself that no damage was occurring. Steel doesn't usually just snap apart suddenly (unlike aluminum); you could catch cracks or tears with visual inspections.

Even in the two instances when I had a Curt receiver fail, it only tore apart on one side and the other side held while I slowed down and pulled over.
Old 07-18-2020, 01:15 AM   #55

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
Just FYI, Diagram Key # 19 (clearly a replaceable bolt-on component):

https://www.tascaparts.com/auto-part...ents-rear-scat
Good reference

That hitch receiver doesn't just attach to the bumper - it is the structure of the bumper. This is an excellent way to build a hitch, it's normal in Europe, and it is becoming common in SUVs.

It's unfortunate that it doesn't have a WD rating, as it is certainly the cleanest hitch installation possible for the vehicle.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 01:25 AM   #56

Quote:
The hitch receiver is very specific to the vehicle; it is designed specifically to fit the vehicle structure at the bumper mounting points, and the shape of the bumper as well. It likely doesn't even fit other models based on the same platform (the Ford Flex and Lincoln MXT). The sticker is likely specific to the hitch.

The sticker may be wrong, but not because the hitch is some generic part used in many Ford's.
Old 07-18-2020, 01:29 AM   #57

Quote:
The label on your hitch receiver is generic because what can be towed with that hitch receiver is specific to and changes with the vehicle it is installed on. That is why the label says see the manual for specifics.
Yes, the sticker says that because while the hitch is specific to the 2011-2019 Explorer, those Explorers vary in towing capacity due to other equipment differences. The actual capacity is the lesser of the vehicle's ratings and the ratings of the hitch; the vehicle ratings don't just replace the hitch ratings.
Old 07-18-2020, 01:33 AM   #58

Quote:
It isn't quite that easy, because hitch receivers are often dealer-installed... when the part gets a sticker, the details of the vehicle it's going on are not known. Similarly, an axle can have a sticker, too... and it only applies to the axle; it typically is not customized for the specific vehicle it is used in, which may have lower axle weight limits due to suspension, tires, or structure.
Old 07-18-2020, 06:02 AM   #59

Quite a bit of sag here...I’m sure his sticker didn’t have all the information either.
Attached Thumbnails
D416169E-18BA-4ABE-9D3C-2E893221BA4B.jpeg  
Old 07-18-2020, 07:06 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
It isn't quite that easy, because hitch receivers are often dealer-installed... when the part gets a sticker, the details of the vehicle it's going on are not known. Similarly, an axle can have a sticker, too... and it only applies to the axle; it typically is not customized for the specific vehicle it is used in, which may have lower axle weight limits due to suspension, tires, or structure.
Oh stop...I been around the block a little. I’ve machined Class III implantable medical devices, Ammunition, Avionics components and a 50T crane operator at one time. I know about operations, manufacturing processes and procedures. You’re not convincing me that any of this sticker stuff is difficult.