This is the contradiction... - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 07-18-2020, 07:49 AM   #61

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
The Pinto Memo: ‘It’s Cheaper to let them Burn!’

The Infamous "Pinto Memo"

The following figures are drawn from the 1973 memorandum* written for and circulated amongst senior management at the Ford Motor Company concerning cost-benefit analysis of retrofitting or altering production of autos and light trucks susceptible to fires from leaking gas tanks after roll-over.

Fatalities Associated with Crash-Induced Fuel Leakage and Fires

Expected Costs of producing the Pinto with fuel tank modifications:
Expected unit sales: 11 million vehicles (includes utility vehicles built on same chassis)
Modification costs per unit: $11.00

Total Cost: $121 million (11,000,000 vehicles x $11.00 per unit)

Expected Costs of producing the Pinto without fuel tank modifications:
Expected accident results (assuming 2100 accidents)
180 burn deaths
180 serious burn injuries
2100 burned out vehicles

Unit costs of accident results (assuming out of court settlements)
$200,000 per burn death
$67,000 per serious injury
$700 per burned out vehicle

Total Costs: $49.53 million (180 deaths x $200k) + (180 injuries x $67k) + (2100 vehicles x $700 per vehicle)

(*http://www.calbaptist.edu/dskubik/pinto.htm)

And you expect Ford to put an new sticker on every hitch receiver?
A poor example of corporate America. The runaway Audi 5000s, the fuel tanks outside of the frame rail on Chevy Trucks also come to mind. That last one was linked to another Corporate misdeed. NBC testing these trucks with the gas tank design with rigged trucks and explosives and never told the viewers. However, good point here.
Voyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 09:49 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
This is what a regular Class III sticker is like. It’s off some unknown vehicle..but shows the difference.
Click image for larger version

Name:	54F55E11-BEF7-46AE-9C71-171BD7AC8C94.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	48785

I think where you are getting confused, is with this sticker the maximum capacity changes when using a weight distributing hitch (5000 lbs without / 10,500 lbs with).

With your hitch receiver it doesn't change the maximum load for the receiver whether you use a weight distributing hitch or not is 5000 lbs.

To match the above sticker and what is stated in the manual, the sticker should actually say 3500 lbs without WD and 5000 lbs with WD. The manual says be more restrictive than what the sticker on the receiver says, which is why the sticker says see the manual. Nothing (not the manual nor the receiver sticker) says do NOT use a weight distributing hitch.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 02:36 PM   #63

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
A poor example of corporate America. The runaway Audi 5000s...
There were no runaway Audi 5000's produced by "corporate America". First, that car was designed and built in Germany, but also the only problem with the car was that idiots would push the gas pedal instead of the brake pedal. Don't blame the company for incompetent drivers.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 03:05 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
Attachment 48785

I think where you are getting confused, is with this sticker the maximum capacity changes when using a weight distributing hitch (5000 lbs without / 10,500 lbs with).

With your hitch receiver it doesn't change the maximum load for the receiver whether you use a weight distributing hitch or not is 5000 lbs.

To match the above sticker and what is stated in the manual, the sticker should actually say 3500 lbs without WD and 5000 lbs with WD. The manual says be more restrictive than what the sticker on the receiver says, which is why the sticker says see the manual. Nothing (not the manual nor the receiver sticker) says do NOT use a weight distributing hitch.
3500 is only a recommendation in the Manual. Labels can be the same too. I think I’ve seen 500/5000 on both WC and WTD.
Attached Thumbnails
480194F0-D0BC-464F-8A3B-012CD2982E24.jpg  
Old 07-18-2020, 03:18 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
There were no runaway Audi 5000's produced by "corporate America". First, that car was designed and built in Germany, but also the only problem with the car was that idiots would push the gas pedal instead of the brake pedal. Don't blame the company for incompetent drivers.
Ok ok ..I got the USA thing wrong. Good to know the pedals can be placed where you like. I’d like my accelerator to the left of the brake, just to keep me on my toes. Seems odd so many people had that problem with that car. Do you have a stake in that company or something? Those same incompetent people never seemed to have issue before that vehicle or since. But, to be honest , I haven’t read anything about the Audi 5000 in years so I’m far from any expert on that case.
Old 07-18-2020, 04:30 PM   #66

Trailer: 2012 E19
Then there's the joke about the Corvair rear-ending the Pinto....
Old 07-18-2020, 04:33 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
Then there's the joke about the Corvair rear-ending the Pinto....
Old 07-18-2020, 04:35 PM   #68

I loved Corvairs, I knew a guy that had three of them in the early 70’s
Old 07-18-2020, 08:00 PM   #69

Quote:
Labels can be the same too...
That Ford label shows limits for both modes (weight carrying and weight distributing), despite the fact that the values for both modes are the same. The Ford label on the Explorer's hitch receiver shows only a weight carrying limit. The implication seems obvious to me.
Old 07-18-2020, 08:06 PM   #70

Quote:
That Ford label shows limits for both modes (weight carrying and weight distributing), despite the fact that the values for both modes are the same. The Ford label on the Explorer's hitch receiver shows only a weight carrying limit. The implication seems obvious to me.
Precisely
Old 07-18-2020, 08:12 PM   #71

Quote:
Good to know the pedals can be placed where you like. I’d like my accelerator to the left of the brake, just to keep me on my toes.
The Audi 5000 had absolutely conventional pedal positions, although the brake pedal was sized as it is in a manual-transmission car, even with the automatic. Some incompetent drivers here had difficulty putting their foot in the general vicinity of the correct pedal, apparently because they were accustomed to those enormous boards used as brake pedals on most North American automatic transmission cars.

Quote:
Seems odd so many people had that problem with that car.
Those same incompetent people never seemed to have issue before that vehicle or since.
People had similar problems with other models, and continue to do so - almost every time some idiot drives through the front window of a store from a parking lot, they have put the vehicle in Drive instead of Reverse, mashed the gas, then when the car moved the wrong way mashed the gas pedal harder instead of the brake. Pedal confusion is such a problem that interlocks were added to ensure that the driver was pressing on the brake pedal before shifting into gear... which is why it's less frequent now.

Again, there is no need to make up some way to blame the manufacturer for the errors of drivers.

Quote:
Do you have a stake in that company or something?
I don't have a financial interest in the Volkswagen Auto Group, and in fact in my limited exposure to them personally I never want to be forced to maintain one again. I just prefer facts to uninformed conjecture.

Towing is an area in which misinformation is particularly rampant.
Old 07-18-2020, 08:14 PM   #72

Quote:
Quote:
Precisely
Just to be clear, the implication is that the specific hitch receiver bearing a label with only a weight-carrying limit is not rated for weight-distributing operation... whether that is true, or is an error on the label.
Old 07-18-2020, 08:42 PM   #73

Doesn’t matter...I’ve done my due diligence. I’ve had enough. I’m going for it.

I’m guessing the damn thing will be such a dog towing, I’ll probably trade it off anyway. I do like it... it’s a great vehicle.
Old 07-18-2020, 10:02 PM   #74

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
I just prefer facts to uninformed conjecture.
To Wit

Quote:
The implication seems obvious to me.
Old 07-18-2020, 10:03 PM   #75

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
.....I’m guessing the damn thing will be such a dog towing, I’ll probably trade it off anyway. I do like it... it’s a great vehicle.
Agree 100% with that. Not that you can't do it safely- you just probably will have your expectations reset.