This is the contradiction... - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-15-2020, 06:26 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
This is the contradiction...

I’ve been dealing with. Read the fine print on the Towing Selector...then look at my receiver sticker.
Attached Thumbnails
46446480-78DC-42EE-AF8A-FAE5F7A70E29.jpeg   156816A7-393C-46BF-B320-E394D24161FEa.jpg  
Voyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 06:32 PM   #2

This is what a regular Class III sticker is like. It’s off some unknown vehicle..but shows the difference.
Attached Thumbnails
54F55E11-BEF7-46AE-9C71-171BD7AC8C94.jpeg  
Old 07-15-2020, 06:35 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
I’ve been dealing with. Read the fine print on the Towing Selector...then look at my receiver sticker.
What's your vehicle and what is the contradiction?
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 07:02 PM   #4

My vehicle is a 3.5L V6 non turbo AWD 2014 Explorer. The contradiction is the chart indicates you can run a WDH on this vehicle. The sticker doesn’t show any WDH rating. Which indicates it’s not a WDH rated Receiver. It’s the only factory Class III made for this vehicle.
Old 07-15-2020, 07:07 PM   #5

Quote:
My vehicle is a 3.5L V6 non turbo AWD 2014 Explorer. The contradiction is the chart indicates you can run a WDH on this vehicle. The sticker doesn’t show any WDH rating. Which indicates it’s not a WDH rated Receiver. It’s the only factory factory Class III made for this vehicle.
The label does say rating will vary and see the owners manual.
Old 07-15-2020, 07:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
The label does say rating will vary and see the owners manual.
That’s a very good point. And I may just go with that. However, I’ve never seen a sticker like that. As far as I know the sticker always has two ratings. So the chart says see the sticker and the sticker says see the chart 🙃
Old 07-15-2020, 10:11 PM   #7

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
That’s a very good point. And I may just go with that. However, I’ve never seen a sticker like that. As far as I know the sticker always has two ratings. So the chart says see the sticker and the sticker says see the chart ��
The sticker on the hitch refers you to the (vehicle-specific) Owner's Manual, not the Ford full-line Towing Guide you've clipped.

Link to 2014 Explorer Owner's Manual rev 3 PDF Download (Ford Site)

The Towing section of the 2014 Explorer Owner's Manual includes specific discussion and recommendation regarding the use of a WDH with reference to certain engine and trailer (hitch) classes for FWD and 4WD Explorers. YMMV but I'd be inclined to go with the latest version of the vehicle-specific Owner's Manual over the Towing Guide.

FWIW I've got a 2005 F150 and a 2019 Ridgeline, both with OE factory installed hitches, neither which have a sticker on the hitch referring to WDH use, both which address suitability for WDH use in the vehicle-specific Owner's Manual. IMO the absence of full detail on the hitch sticker isn't a "contradiction", doesn't present a 'conflict' with the detail in the Owner's Manuals.
Old 07-15-2020, 11:53 PM   #8

Trailer: 2020 21NE - dual dinettes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
YMMV but I'd be inclined to go with the latest version of the vehicle-specific Owner's Manual over the Towing Guide.

IMO the absence of full detail on the hitch sticker isn't a "contradiction", doesn't present a 'conflict' with the detail in the Owner's Manuals.
I concur. And neither of the Ford pickups I use for towing (2011 Ranger and 2017 F150) have stickers that mention WDH. Apparently Ford doesn't know what a "regular" Class III sticker is supposed to look like
sherminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 04:26 AM   #9

This is from the Manual- For towing trailers up to 3500 pounds (1588 kilograms), use a weight-carrying hitch and ball, which uniformly spreads the trailer tongue loads through your vehicle's underbody structure. For towing trailers over 3500 pounds (1588 kilograms), up to the maximum trailer weight, we recommend you use a weight-distributing hitch to increase front axle load while towing.-

I’m just fine with this. I just don’t like to see the sticker WD area with nothing. It leads me to believe it’s not rated for a WDH. Don’t put one on at all rather than offering up Weight Carrying only info. And as far as I’m concerned the Towing Selector is vehicle specific, it’s a Ford Document. You just have use find your vehicle on the chart is all.
Old 07-16-2020, 11:19 AM   #10

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
I just don’t like to see the sticker WD area with nothing. It leads me to believe it’s not rated for a WDH. Don’t put one on at all rather than offering up Weight Carrying only info. And as far as I’m concerned the Towing Selector is vehicle specific, it’s a Ford Document. You just have use find your vehicle on the chart is all.
Correct - that receiver is not rated for weight distribution use, according to the label. While not common, there certainly are Class III hitch receivers which are not rated for WD.

The towing guides typically provide maximum ratings if suitably equipped; this specific Explorer is apparently not suitably equipped for WD. The guide does give specific option codes for hitches, and says that the table of weight ratings is for those hitches, so either the label and the guide do conflict (either because the label is wrong or the guide is wrong), or that is not actually the hitch which was supposed to come with option code 52T.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 12:45 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Correct - that receiver is not rated for weight distribution use, according to the label. While not common, there certainly are Class III hitch receivers which are not rated for WD.

The towing guides typically provide maximum ratings if suitably equipped; this specific Explorer is apparently not suitably equipped for WD. The guide does give specific option codes for hitches, and says that the table of weight ratings is for those hitches, so either the label and the guide do conflict (either because the label is wrong or the guide is wrong), or that is not actually the hitch which was supposed to come with option code 52T.
Thank you.. came to the same summary as I did. However, I went to see two Explorers, same year model etc. both with 52T packages the same as mine. Both had the same sticker as mine. There is no other factory Class III receiver for this vehicle.
Old 07-16-2020, 12:53 PM   #12

...and they would never list the HP rating at 290 Horses and then mention ‘ oh by the way you can get a Supercharger and add 40% more boost in HP. So, I don’t think they are referring to an aftermarket WD Reciever . That would be dumb IMO. In the end...I don’t know what the heck they are saying.
Old 07-16-2020, 01:23 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
.... that receiver is not rated for weight distribution use, according to the label. ....
Just curious, can anyone point me to a requirement regarding the labeling on OE vehicle hitch receivers in the US?

Can anyone show me anything authoritative stating that the absence of any reference to use of a WDH on an OE receiver label (distinct from the presence of a reference with no entry or a 'do not' notation) is evidence positive that OE receiver is not suitable for use with a WDH?

SAE J684 establishes performance and functional criteria for hitch receivers, but apparently does not impose any labelling standard. And of course compliance with an SAE standard is voluntary absent a reference in regulation making it a requirement of DOT or similar.
Old 07-16-2020, 01:27 PM   #14

Quote:
Just curious, can anyone point me to a requirement regarding the labeling on OE vehicle hitch receivers in the US?

Can anyone show me anything authoritative stating that the absence of any reference to use of a WDH on an OE receiver label (distinct from the presence of a reference with no entry or a 'do not' notation) is evidence positive that OE receiver is not suitable for use with a WDH?
I agree, especially since the label refers back to the manual.
Old 07-16-2020, 01:27 PM   #15

If it weren’t a Uni-body vehicle I wouldn’t give rip about any of this. I just don’t want to ruin my vehicle.
Old 07-16-2020, 01:42 PM   #16

Quote:
.... I just don’t want to ruin my vehicle.
But unwilling to accept the plain language in your vehicle-specific Owner's Manual as your best source of guidance
Old 07-16-2020, 01:48 PM   #17

The Salesman I talked to yesterday at Ford looked at both the towing guide and the label and said ... nice, Ford put disclaimers on both of them.
Old 07-16-2020, 02:05 PM   #18

Quote:
This is from the Manual- For towing trailers up to 3500 pounds (1588 kilograms), use a weight-carrying hitch and ball, which uniformly spreads the trailer tongue loads through your vehicle's underbody structure. For towing trailers over 3500 pounds (1588 kilograms), up to the maximum trailer weight, we recommend you use a weight-distributing hitch to increase front axle load while towing.-
How is that ambiguous?
Old 07-16-2020, 02:24 PM   #19

Quote:
The Salesman I talked to yesterday at Ford ......
Certainly universally accepted as an unimpeachable expert resource for vehicle information
Old 07-16-2020, 02:32 PM   #20

Quote:
Certainly universally accepted as an unimpeachable expert resource for vehicle information
...he said it in jest. And I wasn’t looking to him for any expert opinion. But thanks for helping me understand salesman are exactly that..salesman.