Tire Aid Lift - for tandam flat tire - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-15-2023, 07:19 PM   #21
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
Just ordered the Camco Trailer Aid Plus, for jacking, from Camco (slightly cheaper at the moment than Amazon, even with shipping); the black one is a few bucks less than the yellow one, too—why?

https://www.campingworld.com/camco-t...ack-10867.html

I've been pretty successful leveling with boards, which I carry in the back of my Expedition, so I might just stay with those. Either way you need somebody spotting or you'll run over the ends. How do you single travelers do it?
Old 04-23-2023, 10:31 AM   #22
Site Team

Used Trailer Aid to Grease EZ-Lube Bearings

Just wanted to report that the Camco Trailer Aid Plus worked great at lifting one wheel at a time so I could spin them while greasing the EZ-Lube bearings. I did have to have my wife call out each time I drove up onto the TA, so I didn't run off the end. But once hitched up, it sure was easier than using a jack.

Greasing took longer than I expected. There were some wrinkles:

- Old grease was black, and so were my new tubes, so I had to run out and get some colored grease so I could see easily when I've pushed out the old stuff (new is blue).

- I had no end of trouble getting the rubber protective covers back on the axle ends. They don't seem to just pop on; you have to make sure the grooves are clean and work the covers on carefully. By number 4 I was just getting the hang of it.

- Front wheel on passenger side was turning a little more roughly than the others, so I decided to adjust the brake shoes. But try as I might, I could not find the normal star adjuster wheel. If there, it was not visible from the holes on the inside of the drum. I finally had to just let it go.

Otherwise, should be good till next year. Now to sanitize the water system, check the batteries, and head out a week from today (going to PA for a ride on the Lehigh Gorge Scenic Railway at Jim Thorpe, then to VA for a week at daughter's new house in woods—just finishing a four-year project!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1162_sm.jpg   IMG_1164_sm.jpg  
Old 04-23-2023, 11:29 AM   #23

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLynn View Post

But try as I might, I could not find the normal star adjuster wheel. If there, it was not visible from the holes on the inside of the drum. I finally had to just let it go.
For some reason it can be an elusive little devil. I've been adjusting brakes for a long time but a couple of times I just couldn't seem to make contact. And I have a proper tool. I found the easiest way way is to slide under, shine a light in the two holes, and see where the star adjuster is. Then it's much easier to make contact with it.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 01:13 PM   #24
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
For some reason it can be an elusive little devil. I've been adjusting brakes for a long time but a couple of times I just couldn't seem to make contact. And I have a proper tool. I found the easiest way way is to slide under, shine a light in the two holes, and see where the star adjuster is. Then it's much easier to make contact with it.

Ron
That's what I did: crawled under with a light. Couldn't find it. Fished around with a flat-tipped screwdriver; no luck.
Old 04-23-2023, 01:22 PM   #25

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
You do have to get your head in far enough under the trailer so that you're looking straight into the hole to see it. It's there, honest.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 01:38 PM   #26
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
You do have to get your head in far enough under the trailer so that you're looking straight into the hole to see it. It's there, honest.

Ron
Well, I ain't as flexible as I used to be, but I shined a light in both holes, and didn't see it. Did see the spring, and looked on both sides and underneath that. No luck.

I thought of pulling the wheel off, which would give me more room between the step and the brake, but gave up before that.