tire jack - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 03-14-2020, 02:51 AM   #1
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
tire jack

what do you guys think about this as a tire jack for a E21 ?

https://www.powerbuilt.com/products/...ckstand-in-one

sort of a hybrid of a bottle jack and a jack stand. They come in 4000 and 6000 lb versions.

I guess it can only lift 5" or so... the foot can be pre-extended +5", so its anywhere from (8-5/8" to 14") to (13" to 18") give or take. I just don't know if lifting the escape's frame 5" while its hitched is sufficient to free the tires on one side ...
Attached Thumbnails
71rlHPx7AOL._AC_SL1500_[1].jpg  
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 07:16 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Handy dandy looking jack. Nice that it has the stand built in for safety.

For me, I don't really find a need for a separate jack while travelling. I just use one Anderson leveller, and/or some Lynx blocks under one wheel which easily raises the other on that side. I adjusted the brakes on two trailers in a bit more than an hour this way at Quartzsite last year.

The disadvantage is that you must be hooked up and you can only do one tire at a time.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 07:19 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
If you put it on a couple of plastic/wooden blocks you could extend the reach. Neat concept...I carry one of those tire ramps to raise the good wheel
Attached Thumbnails
51YEArDybGL._AC_UY436_QL65_ML3_.jpg  
Old 03-14-2020, 07:23 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
If you put it on a couple of plastic/wooden blocks you could extend the reach. Neat concept...I carry one of those tire ramps to raise the good wheel
I have had one of those for many years, they work great. However, again for me, I find no need to haul something this big along.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 09:02 AM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
bottle Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post

sort of a hybrid of a bottle jack and a jack stand. They come in 4000 and 6000 lb versions.

I guess it can only lift 5" or so... the foot can be pre-extended +5", so its anywhere from (8-5/8" to 14") to (13" to 18") give or take. I just don't know if lifting the escape's frame 5" while its hitched is sufficient to free the tires on one side ...
i bought a small bottle jack when i outfitted our Highlander and 21. if i would have seen that one i would have bought it. My jack is a 6 ton i think, might only be four but it will lift the Escape or the Highlander to change a tire. i tried it. if the price is reasonable i would buy it. I have several bottle jacks laying around when they get old i quit using them and should get rid of them,
Iowa Dave
Old 03-14-2020, 09:06 AM   #6

bottle Jack

Quote:

i bought a small bottle jack when i outfitted our Highlander and 21. if i would have seen that one i would have bought it. My jack is a 6000 i think, might only be four but it will lift the Escape or the Highlander hooked up to change a tire. i tried it.

If the price is reasonable i would buy it. I have several bottle jacks laying around, when they get old I quit using them and should get rid of them.
Iowa Dave
Old 03-14-2020, 09:23 AM   #7

speaking of getting old, you are starting to repeat yourself.......... as far as getting rid of things after they become old, what is going to happen to us??
Old 03-14-2020, 09:26 AM   #8

Trailer: Escape 17B, July 2019
Looks like a smart idea to me. I have several bottle jacks, always keep one in the truck along with too many other things like a shovel, axe, come-along, snatchum strap etc. Just a habit from my old off-road days when self-recovery was the only option.
Bob
Lanark Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 10:03 AM   #9

Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
speaking of getting old, you are starting to repeat yourself.......... as far as getting rid of things after they become old, what is going to happen to us??
Sorry, I got mixed up, I was on the big computer and haven’t used it much since last spring. I’m old but still a rookie and still learning. It’s snowing right along here this morning. I was contemplating my mortality earlier today and played Vera Lynn’s “We”ll Meet Again” remembering that yesterday was my Dad’s birthday. He died in 1967 10 days short of turning 50. but I still think of him every day. I have at least three of everything so I guess when we’re gone the Kids will have a project.
Got my brake sets for the 21 so when it warms up that’s my project.
Stay safe and stay warm and dry and eat good food. Say Hi from us to Noelia
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 03:53 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
We also use the same device as in Post #3 And we use it to raise the non-valve side when dumping for a speedier and more thorough dump. I always feel better after a good, complete dump.
ColoradoSwany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 04:11 PM   #11

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
I just don't know if lifting the escape's frame 5" while its hitched is sufficient to free the tires on one side ...
It should be. You only need to lift enough to match the suspension's droop travel (from normal load to unloaded) plus the tire deflection, and the total of those should be under 5 inches. The suspension travel to unloaded from full rated load is only about 2 inches; the deflection of the tire to its full load (an Escape 21' doesn't fully load the tire) is about one inch. With some space from the jack to frame at the closest extension setting, there won't be a lot of travel to spare, but it should work.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 04:42 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoSwany View Post
We also use the same device as in Post #3 And we use it to raise the non-valve side when dumping for a speedier and more thorough dump. I always feel better after a good, complete dump.
You and me both, inside or outside........
Old 03-14-2020, 04:56 PM   #13

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
I vote for the trailer aid ramp. I use ours to adjust the brakes. Haven’t had a flat tire yet, but my $35 Zeepin tire pressure monitor will let me know before I shred the tire.
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 06:58 PM   #14

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I used a neighbors Trailer Aid for the brakes one time, worked fine as it raised the trailer just enough for the 2nd tire to clear the ground. The Trailer Aid is said to raise the wheel 5.5", pretty close to the funky bottle jack the OP is about. Won't know for sure till you get one and try it.

I find the Trailer Aid too big to take along for my trailer. I carry the Anderson levelers and a bottle jack though I've never needed them. This thing may be bulky too, no measurements on the wen page. Do read the to review about actual usable height.
Old 03-14-2020, 08:29 PM   #15
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
thinking more about it, I should probably get the 6000 lb version so I can also use it on the F250 as the factory jack looks pretty sketchy.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 08:36 PM   #16

Acess

Quote:
thinking more about it, I should probably get the 6000 lb version so I can also use it on the F250 as the factory jack looks pretty sketchy.
Lot quicker to access and deploy
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 05:05 PM   #17

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Oooh, I like that design. I've thought about getting a bottle jack in the past, but the narrow base on them made me nervous.
Defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote