Tire Minder TPMS on a 5.0TA - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-24-2020, 10:33 AM   #1

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Tire Minder TPMS on a 5.0TA

Hi All,

I have purchased a Tire Minder TPMS for my 5.0. It comes with a signal booster that the instructions say is as much for reducing interference and boosting the signal. The booster requires a constant 12V power and is recommended that it is mounted on the frame or pin box, outside of any metal enclosure.

My question to 5.0 owners who may have the same system, where did you mount your booster? and where did you tap into the 12V power on the trailer?

I was thinking of opening up the access panel to the driver side landing gear and tapping into the power to the landing gear switch. Thoughts?

Edit: link to the system I bought: https://rvillage.store/collections/t...0-transmitters
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 12:01 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by arniesea View Post
Hi All,

I have purchased a Tire Minder TPMS for my 5.0. It comes with a signal booster that the instructions say is as much for reducing interference and boosting the signal. The booster requires a constant 12V power and is recommended that it is mounted on the frame or pin box, outside of any metal enclosure.

My question to 5.0 owners who may have the same system, where did you mount your booster? and where did you tap into the 12V power on the trailer?

I was thinking of opening up the access panel to the driver side landing gear and tapping into the power to the landing gear switch. Thoughts?

Edit: link to the system I bought: https://rvillage.store/collections/t...0-transmitters
I mounted the booster unit in a vinyl storage box on the underside of the pin box and tapped into power at the junction box in the same location where all the umbilical cord connections are.
Old 08-24-2020, 12:23 PM   #3

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Hi All,

Make sure you have metal value stems!. I didn't and had 5 stem failures in about 12 mo. One blow out and 4 slow flats (The TMPS faithfully warned me about these.). I had no idea the TMPS was causing it until the last time when a tech at discount tire told me about it.

I have had no failures since then ( 2 years).
Old 08-24-2020, 01:22 PM   #4

Trailer: 2018 5.0 TA
I would also add a switch to disconnect the booster and “on” light when not on the road. Since it is hooked to a constant power source it would otherwise never shut off.
Also, I believe the newer tire sensors are much smaller and lighter than earlier versions. I am not sure that damage to valve stems is still an issue. However, metal stems are probably worth the money anyway, particularly if you are also buying tires.
BILLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 10:47 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19' (sold), Escape 5.0 as of August 2019 (sold)
I installed mine in the storage compartment above the propane tanks. There is a 12v drop from the build (thought ahead for once!) that I used.
JStelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 11:09 PM   #6

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by JStelly View Post
I installed mine in the storage compartment above the propane tanks. There is a 12v drop from the build (thought ahead for once!) that I used.
That's certainly a noteworthy build-sheet addition (for any number of reasons other than TPMS) - thanks for sharing your foresight!
Old 08-24-2020, 11:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILLB View Post
I would also add a switch to disconnect the booster and “on” light when not on the road. Since it is hooked to a constant power source it would otherwise never shut off.
Also, I believe the newer tire sensors are much smaller and lighter than earlier versions. I am not sure that damage to valve stems is still an issue. However, metal stems are probably worth the money anyway, particularly if you are also buying tires.
Thank you! I did some investigation and realized I could hook it up to the running lights on the 7-pin wiring block mounted on the side of the pin box. I did a little test today to see if it would work and it does! In the photos, the black alligator clip is on the ground and the red clip is on the green running lights wire. The two photos show the test with the running lights off and then on. I always have my parking lights + DRL on while driving (which turn on the running lights on the trailer) so TPMS will be on too!

I plan on mounting the booster on the rear of Pin Box under the loft.

Now to route the wires, replace the alligator clips with terminal connectors and install everything! Thanks everyone!
Attached Thumbnails
AFB4CCD8-8D46-456D-BE22-9162DD0FF4D3.jpg   69094BDB-3A98-4C7F-950D-7A3284285E00.jpg  
- Bremerton, WA
Old 08-25-2020, 05:48 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILLB View Post
Mine has been constantly powered on since it was installed, except for a very few times that I had the battery disconnected for various reasons. The current draw is minimal. My biggest concern would be forgetting to turn it on before traveling. I figure that should the booster fail, I will get a replacement from Tire Minder. Actually, I’ve had problems with the sensors on the valve stems but none with the booster. I had 2 sensors fail in 4-1/2 years. One was due to a failed battery cap seal and water intrusion. The other one just quit working.
Old 08-25-2020, 09:33 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
. I had 2 sensors fail in 4-1/2 years. One was due to a failed battery cap seal and water intrusion. The other one just quit working.
Hi Carl,

They now include spare O-rings for the battery cap seals and recommend replacing annually along with the batteries. I also received a spare set of batteries. So apparently the O-rings are a known fail point.
- Bremerton, WA
Old 08-25-2020, 11:17 AM   #10

Quote:
Hi Carl,

They now include spare O-rings for the battery cap seals and recommend replacing annually along with the batteries. I also received a spare set of batteries. So apparently the O-rings are a known fail point.
I guess I purchased mine a couple of years too soon!
And they say the early bird catches the worm.
Old 08-25-2020, 03:45 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA
You might want to try the system without the booster. The distance from the tires to the receiver in your truck are quite a bit less than many trailers, and your trailer doesn't block the radio signals as much as a most other trailers due to the fiberglass body.

We have a TST507 (different brand from the OP) and it works fine without a booster.
ThomasG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 06:54 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasG View Post
You might want to try the system without the booster. The distance from the tires to the receiver in your truck are quite a bit less than many trailers, and your trailer doesn't block the radio signals as much as a most other trailers due to the fiberglass body.

We have a TST507 (different brand from the OP) and it works fine without a booster.
Thanks. I'm sure there would be a signal, but the directions specifically say that the booster is as much to filter out signal interference as to boost the signal. They recommend using the booster in all cases.
- Bremerton, WA
Old 08-25-2020, 07:24 PM   #13
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasG View Post

My TST507 works fine on my 21, which is several feet more separation than a 5

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote