Tire pressure monitoring systems - Page 10 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-29-2019, 07:57 PM   #181

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdornbush View Post
Yes, they were. Who changes tire valve stems without changing tires?
Probably only someone with a valve stem failure.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 08:20 PM   #182

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Changed to metal valve stems when I changed wheels as I saw that the old rims were being impacted and marred by the TPMS heads. That tells you they are moving those rubber stems around.
Old 09-19-2019, 12:13 PM   #183

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Will ETI install metal valves?

I am wondering about TPMS set-up. Will ETI install metal valve stems? And, should I get a 12v drop inside the front box so that I can wire power to the TPMS booster? Any advice before I finalize my build sheet? Thanks.
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 02:08 PM   #184

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
I am wondering about TPMS set-up. Will ETI install metal valve stems?
I think that's very unlikely, as the factory likely receives the wheels with the tires already mounted, so changing a valve stem would required dismounting and re-mounting the tire... but you could ask. Or you could just have a tire shop do it after you get the trailer... although there would be a cost to that, of course.
Old 09-19-2019, 02:18 PM   #185

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
...should I get a 12v drop inside the front box so that I can wire power to the TPMS booster? Any advice before I finalize my build sheet? Thanks.

I see you’re getting a 19. No need to get a drop in the front box as your batteries are already there. Just put an appropriate fuse inline and you can direct wire to your batteries. You might consider adding an inline switch as well to make it easy to turn the booster on or off.
Old 09-19-2019, 02:23 PM   #186
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
I am wondering about TPMS set-up. Will ETI install metal valve stems? And, should I get a 12v drop inside the front box so that I can wire power to the TPMS booster? Any advice before I finalize my build sheet? Thanks.
I've run my TPMS without a booster/repeater for 5 years without a problem; however my receiver is mounted to the rear window of my truck. Also have had no issues with rubber valve stems on my 21, although I rarely exceed 65 mph.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 02:24 PM   #187

Trailer: 2015 19 foot
Quote:
I am wondering about TPMS set-up. Will ETI install metal valve stems? And, should I get a 12v drop inside the front box so that I can wire power to the TPMS booster?
We have a TireTraker TT-500 and a 19 and it works fine without a booster. I would try it without a booster first and then get the booster only if you need it.
Old 09-19-2019, 02:25 PM   #188

Trailer: 2012 Escape-19
I agree with Brian. If you get the aluminum wheels (or at least mine) the valve stems are recessed and require a special metal stem (W/long nut) to be installed and there are several styles. Also if done at the dealer they can balance the tires with the new valve stem and sensor. I just ordered some long nut stems from Amazon but I've decided to visit my local tire shop after looking at my rims again.
Eddie
elongest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 02:42 PM   #189

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
I've run my TPMS without a booster/repeater for 5 years without a problem; however my receiver is mounted to the rear window of my truck. Also have had no issues with rubber valve stems on my 21, although I rarely exceed 65 mph.
I did not put tire Minders on my trailer but have had numerous problems with them on my truck. I had no clue what was causing my problems until a tech at Discount Tire told me.

Had to change tires and have repairs 3 times on the way home from ETI. I put the minders on when I got new tires about 18 months back. I had 3 failures with the tires I replaced. I stopped at Discount Tire to have the third one repaired and that's when I was told the cause.

I removed the all the devices right there. No problems since. Hasn't been that long tho so I'll just have to wait and see.
Old 09-19-2019, 04:50 PM   #190

Trailer: 2019 Escape 5.0TA "SCRATCH" First 5.0 TA registered in South Carolina
I've got EezTire. No booster and the monitor sits on my dash. It monitors the 4 trailer tires plus the truck spare and my suspension airbags. Looking at the trailer rims you can see where the rubber sensor caps have hit the rims so I'll probably have the metal stems installed at some point.
Old 09-19-2019, 04:59 PM   #191

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
I see you’re getting a 19. No need to get a drop in the front box as your batteries are already there. Just put an appropriate fuse inline and you can direct wire to your batteries. You might consider adding an inline switch as well to make it easy to turn the booster on or off.
Thanks - how does the hook up work in the battery box if you have two 6v batteries? Positive of one battery and negative of the other battery?
Old 09-19-2019, 05:08 PM   #192

Trailer: ?
Used this system successfully on a Casita and then again on my current E21.
No repeater because it doesn't need one.

Works very well and the price is right.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ed
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 09:04 PM   #193

Quote:
... how does the hook up work in the battery box if you have two 6v batteries? Positive of one battery and negative of the other battery?
Yes... and get the positive and negative on the correct batteries! Two 6V batteries are just one big 12 volt battery split between two boxes, connected by one cable. Consider that connecting cable to be part of the battery, never connected anything else to the terminals that this cable connects, and treat the set as one battery, with one positive and one negative with anything connected to them.
Old 09-22-2019, 09:32 PM   #194
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
yup. trailer + -----(+)[batt1](-)-----(+)[batt2](-)------ trailer -

John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 11:06 PM   #195

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Yes... and get the positive and negative on the correct batteries! Two 6V batteries are just one big 12 volt battery split between two boxes, connected by one cable. Consider that connecting cable to be part of the battery, never connected anything else to the terminals that this cable connects, and treat the set as one battery, with one positive and one negative with anything connected to them.
Thanks - this is the confirmation I needed.
Old 11-01-2019, 08:49 AM   #196

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21C
I am using a cheap solar powered tpms on my Casita that seems to work well. No booster needed. We are picking up a new Escape 21 in June. I hope it will work as well on the White 21
Hancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 02:16 PM   #197

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
Hi, I can't believe the price on this tire monitor. I like the solar charge and cordless. Still working okay for you?
lostskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 08:29 PM   #198

Trailer: ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostskier View Post
Hi, I can't believe the price on this tire monitor. I like the solar charge and cordless. Still working okay for you?
If you’re referring to the TPMS I mentioned in post #192, yes it’s still working.
Just because it’s easier to do at home, I replaced the four monitor batteries in preparation for camping season.
$6 for a pack of 5 batteries.

Ed
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 12:18 AM   #199

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
I can also vouch for the cheap TPMS. It's served well through over a year of full-timing. Mine was a different brand but looked identical, almost certainly the same thing with a different label. When I upsized to a Bigfoot I found Amazon didn't sell the exact one I'd ordered any more, but I got this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TSXXZJM which seems to be a newer revision. So far it's worked well for 3-4 months.
Defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 04:49 AM   #200

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Wow, they have really dropped pricing. I may consider one of these for peace of mind,,,,,