Tire pressure monitoring systems - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 12-26-2015, 11:58 AM   #41

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Thanks Cliff, that's good info... and Bob, yah just what I need more spares to deal with. I remember leaving home in my 60s era VW Bug off on a long journey camping and backpacking around the US and Canada. My Old Man looked at my pile of spare parts, laughed and said I must be planning on rebuilding the entire car along the way. Of course the "Idiots Guide" was in the pile.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 11:32 PM   #42

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic #7
Thoer,

Correct the sensors act as the dust cap for the stem.

When 7th Heaven is parked at home I remove & store the sensors (as well as the batteries)
7th Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 12:02 PM   #43

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
I have been using the Dill for 5 years. 3 years in the Casita then purchased another when we got the escape. The sensors are in the valve stems and are mounted inside the wheels like a car. This does mean you must remove the tire to install them. I have found it to be a good system over the years for us.

Dill Air Controls Products » Trailer TPMS

Trailer TPMS

Purchased it from from Tire Rack. Comes with a external antenna that can be used if you want. I tried another system everyone was using on the Casita club first but found it keep loosing the signal and would act like we had a flat. Never have had that problem with the Dill.
Old 03-28-2016, 12:12 PM   #44

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kountrykamper View Post
I have been using the Dill for 5 years. 3 years in the Casita then purchased another when we got the escape. The sensors are in the valve stems and are mounted inside the wheels like a car. This does mean you must remove the tire to install them. I have found it to be a good system over the years for us.

Dill Air Controls Products » Trailer TPMS

Trailer TPMS

Purchased it from from Tire Rack. Comes with a external antenna that can be used if you want. I tried another system everyone was using on the Casita club first but found it keep loosing the signal and would act like we had a flat. Never have had that problem with the Dill.
The Dill seems like the way to go. Do you have mag wheels? Do they take the .453" valve stems? Did you have to use the external antenna? The Dill seems like a no hassle way to do this once it is installed and the price is right. Thanks.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 02:09 PM   #45

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Has anyone had experience with Tyre Dog . Saw on fiberglass forum . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 02:18 PM   #46

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Has anyone had experience with Tyre Dog . Saw on fiberglass forum . Pat
Hi:Patandlinda... By 3pm. I'm usually "Dog tyred"!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 02:44 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi:Patandlinda... By 3pm. I'm usually "Dog tyred"!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Seriously , Norm on Fiberglass forum uses the Tyre Dog system . They are cheaper in price but ? Pat
Old 03-28-2016, 06:24 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiman View Post
The Dill seems like the way to go. Do you have mag wheels? Do they take the .453" valve stems? Did you have to use the external antenna? The Dill seems like a no hassle way to do this once it is installed and the price is right. Thanks.
I have aluminum wheels. Yes you use the .453 stems. Yes I use the external antenna because it eliminates any signal loss and false alarms. It's a little more work up front but when it's installed it's no hassle after that.
Old 03-28-2016, 06:52 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kountrykamper View Post
I have aluminum wheels. Yes you use the .453 stems. Yes I use the external antenna because it eliminates any signal loss and false alarms. It's a little more work up front but when it's installed it's no hassle after that.
Thanks. Sounds good. I got a quote from our local tire shop for $97 to install sensors and rebalance. The four tire system from Tire Rack is $279 and free shipping. So $400 total for piece of mind.

Zig Ziglar
Old 03-28-2016, 08:34 PM   #50

Trailer: Escape 21', "Cardinals' Nest"
Tire Pressure Monitoring: Internal VS External VS Spare

I just realized that the internal pressure sensors for four tires don't include the spare (some of us think glacially slowly!). So if I ever have to use the spare, I give up continuous pressure monitoring with an internal system, unless I buy an extra one or two sensors. With external sensors, I'd just move one to the former spare.

I would expect that only internal sensors would provide accurate temperature measurements, with poor thermal conduction along even metal stems coupled with effective air cooling. Pressure measurements should be equally accurate with either type. I think that pressure alone should provide most of the benefit; temperature might make a difference with slow leaks that result in the tire running hotter, which increases the pressure and might prevent the pressure sensor from alarming while driving; once the tire cools off, the pressure will drop.

I noticed that TST recommends only using metal valve stems with its external sensors. I sliced a candy bar to give me a 0.5 oz. weight of similar weight and size to the sensors; it is pretty light and I would expect rubber valve stems to survive a long time, but they will take a significant extra beating. Metal stems should provide higher reliability, especially on rough roads which seem more common when we're towing.

A related question: does anyone have a method for rotating tires including the spare. Otherwise, I can see the possibility of needing to replace a new and unused spare tire due only to its age. Fore-aft swaps would be simple, but the spare wouldn't be involved.

Art
Art M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 11:50 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art M. View Post
I just realized that the internal pressure sensors for four tires don't include the spare (some of us think glacially slowly!). So if I ever have to use the spare, I give up continuous pressure monitoring with an internal system, unless I buy an extra one or two sensors. With external sensors, I'd just move one to the former spare.

I would expect that only internal sensors would provide accurate temperature measurements, with poor thermal conduction along even metal stems coupled with effective air cooling. Pressure measurements should be equally accurate with either type. I think that pressure alone should provide most of the benefit; temperature might make a difference with slow leaks that result in the tire running hotter, which increases the pressure and might prevent the pressure sensor from alarming while driving; once the tire cools off, the pressure will drop.

I noticed that TST recommends only using metal valve stems with its external sensors. I sliced a candy bar to give me a 0.5 oz. weight of similar weight and size to the sensors; it is pretty light and I would expect rubber valve stems to survive a long time, but they will take a significant extra beating. Metal stems should provide higher reliability, especially on rough roads which seem more common when we're towing.

A related question: does anyone have a method for rotating tires including the spare. Otherwise, I can see the possibility of needing to replace a new and unused spare tire due only to its age. Fore-aft swaps would be simple, but the spare wouldn't be involved.

Art
Looking into the tire sensors too . So I need to have metal stems which makes sences but I would have to change ? Does anyone know about Tyredog system Norm and Ginny on fiberglass forum had mentioned that is what he uses ? Are they good or too cheap ? Pat
Old 03-29-2016, 07:17 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Looking into the tire sensors too . So I need to have metal stems which makes sences but I would have to change ? Does anyone know about Tyredog system Norm and Ginny on fiberglass forum had mentioned that is what he uses ? Are they good or too cheap ? Pat
Part of the reason I am looking at going internal is the plastic/rubber valve stems that the 21' came with. I think the may be a problem with screw on sensors. If I have to change them, then I might as well go with an internal system.

Zig Ziglar
Old 03-29-2016, 08:00 AM   #53

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
I have TPMS on both my car and my truck. In the truck two summers ago while at Arches NP, my dashboard indicator lit up indicating a low tire pressure. That gave me enough early warning to allow me to drive into Moab and have a nail puncture repaired before the tire went flat. Good experience.

On my wife's car, the guys who switched her tires last fall from all-seasons to winter tires must have damaged at least one of the TPMS sensors, as the dashboard lights have been on ever since, even though the tire pressures are fine. We will have to repair or replace at least one sensor when the winter tires are removed in the next few weeks. Bad experience.

My personal preference would be to not have the TPMS at all, and I don't think that I would ever bother adding them to the Escape. I will check the tire pressure and condition of the tires before, during, and after every trip, and will repair or replace any components that require repairs or replacement.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 08:55 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
I have TPMS on both my car and my truck. In the truck two summers ago while at Arches NP, my dashboard indicator lit up indicating a low tire pressure. That gave me enough early warning to allow me to drive into Moab and have a nail puncture repaired before the tire went flat. Good experience.

On my wife's car, the guys who switched her tires last fall from all-seasons to winter tires must have damaged at least one of the TPMS sensors, as the dashboard lights have been on ever since, even though the tire pressures are fine. We will have to repair or replace at least one sensor when the winter tires are removed in the next few weeks. Bad experience.

My personal preference would be to not have the TPMS at all, and I don't think that I would ever bother adding them to the Escape. I will check the tire pressure and condition of the tires before, during, and after every trip, and will repair or replace any components that require repairs or replacement.
My fear is quick loss of pressure due to a road hazard or a tread separation that I don't notice immediately. ST tires have a poor reputation at best. Tires catch fire, destroy the wheel well as they come apart, or just plain overload the other tire. On the Casita forums I have seen terrible damage to the wheel well from such problems. I try to keep an eye in the rear view mirror, but I really don't check very often. I am not sure I could even see the tire failure if I did. My thoughts.

Especially with a planned trip to Alaska, I will feel much safer with the TPMS. But as Donna says, YRMV.

Zig Ziglar
Old 03-29-2016, 09:00 AM   #55

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
YRMV.
Your Rationale/Reasoning/Rotation (of tires)/Responsibility/Ridiculousness May Vary?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 09:52 AM   #56

Quote:
Part of the reason I am looking at going internal is the plastic/rubber valve stems that the 21' came with. I think the may be a problem with screw on sensors. If I have to change them, then I might as well go with an internal system.
Yelp. If you have to change the stems its no more work to go with internal.

I don't have one in the spare but a extra sensor is not that expensive. All your have to do is change the chip in the head for that tire and your ready to go. If I was heading somewhere like Alaska I would have one in the spare.

Actually I think I have a spare sensor somewhere from the Casita and may install it in the spare when I replace tires. For now I just hope I don't have a flat but at least I will know if I do.

I moved mine off the windshield and down to a cup holder because I found myself looking at it to much tracking pressures and temps. It has a beep that will go off if something happens and make your heart sink for a second. That's why I installed the external antenna under the rear of the truck to stop false alarms. It would only happened in crazy traffic somewhere while going 65 MPH.
Old 03-29-2016, 10:20 AM   #57

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post

There is a reset of the system that needs to be done when replacing tires. Might be a very simple fix; had same situation once and mechanic failed to do this.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 11:06 AM   #58

Quote:
My fear is quick loss of pressure due to a road hazard or a tread separation that I don't notice immediately. ST tires have a poor reputation at best. Tires catch fire, destroy the wheel well as they come apart, or just plain overload the other tire. On the Casita forums I have seen terrible damage to the wheel well from such problems. I try to keep an eye in the rear view mirror, but I really don't check very often. I am not sure I could even see the tire failure if I did. My thoughts.

Especially with a planned trip to Alaska, I will feel much safer with the TPMS. But as Donna says, YRMV.
my reason for a tire monitoring system at least on the trailer . This the wheel from my F250. Coming home after a job 35 min drive , no weight in my truck at time , Commercial E Michelins tires . Glad my camper wasn't on truck at time . No damage to truck because it sits pretty high . After I came home last summer from Washington . found a flat on trailer tire , don't know for how long . When I stop I feel the tires and hubs for heat . Really would just like to add sensors to stems for now ? What about flow through sensors ? Good or bad . Any help would be appreciated . Pat
Attached Thumbnails
P1010003 2.jpg   P1010005.jpg  
Old 03-29-2016, 11:17 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
There is a reset of the system that needs to be done when replacing tires. Might be a very simple fix; had same situation once and mechanic failed to do this.
Hi Ross you mentioned you got a tire m. System . Is it in tire or the outside screw on ? Flow through or not and if not why ? Pat
Old 03-29-2016, 11:30 AM   #60

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I saw that you get about 2 years out of the battery on at least some of the external sensors, some batteries are user replaceable, some not. Any idea if the internal ones are similar?

I've yet to have one of the factory internals go dead on the car or truck.