tongue latch troubles?? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 09-30-2020, 11:35 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 Escape-21C toad by 2017 Titan XD Crew Cab V8 4x4
tongue latch troubles??

Anyone else have trouble with the tongue locking latch setup on their 21? Ours seems to be very difficult to lock down after getting the ball into the tongue socket. I have' always had the top-flip hasp types on several previous trailers.. , but this cowboy-spur shaped lock lever thing on the 21 seems to be very hard to get right.
https://www.etrailer.com/A-Frame-Tra...iABEgIqd_D_BwE
This is the type I'm used to https://www.etrailer.com/A-Frame-Tra...3805W0317.html and it seems much easier to operate.
Hollybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 01:36 AM   #2
Ops

Trailer: 2020 - 21NE "JoMoE" (Just our Means of Escape)
I'd suggest watching ETI's orientation video linked below. From the 1 minute mark in the video ... onward, you'll notice the hitch is JUST back from the ball.

https://escapetrailer.com/orientatio...ery-c1c6be0-27

Make sure the hitch is lubricated as well (not sloppy) and you should be good. I had some difficulty at first, but I think I'm past that point now.
Ops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 08:01 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
I have two additional suggestions.

Before starting, lie on the ground with a flashlight and look at the latching mechanism to get familiar with how it will fit around the ball when latched. Then it makes sense why you want to have the ball near the front of the coupler as shown in the video.

Second suggestion is if the latch won't fit down fully, assuming you are on level ground, go take the parking brake off your tow vehicle so there is a little play and you can rock or shove the trailer or tow vehicle that last quarter of an inch so the thing fits together totally. Also if the coupler is mostly on, but not totally, you can get back in your tow vehicle and pull forward a little or back up a little. That sometimes lets the parts match up better.

If you're tempted to whack it or lever it, don't. It'll just make it worse for next time.
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 08:47 AM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Sometimes( when not level) I put a rubber chock in front of the tire 6" or so then roll to it. If that doesn't work I will put one on the rear and do the same thing.
Old 10-01-2020, 09:25 AM   #5

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
I got fed up with my constant battle with the factory coupler . I replaced it with a Bulldog coupler . The Bulldog is much easier to use and is a much more positive latch
Cost to buy the Bulldog coupler and have it installed was around $250 and worth every penny IMHO
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 12:18 PM   #6

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
One caveat before you use bill and earlines excellent suggestions. Be sure you have your safety chains on.
Old 10-01-2020, 01:12 PM   #7

Trailer: 2019 Escape-21C toad by 2017 Titan XD Crew Cab V8 4x4
LOL

Thanks we've tried most already and found having the coupler 1/4" back from being over that ball seems to work best..+ lots of ball grease.
Hollybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 01:58 PM   #8

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I got fed up with my constant battle with the factory coupler . I replaced it with a Bulldog coupler . The Bulldog is much easier to use and is a much more positive latch
Cost to buy the Bulldog coupler and have it installed was around $250 and worth every penny IMHO
We just did the same thing. I think that it is the best mod so far. Told the guy at the trailer repair shop to throw the original hitch in the dumpster.
Hancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 11:37 PM   #9
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
occasionally my escape hitch doesn't want to latch, I put the truck in 1st, and let it creep forward an inch and the latching stirrup drops right in. I do this before I fully retract the jack, so its only 1/2" or so off the ground, so if somehow the trailer hops off the hitch, the jack is still udner it.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote