Tonneau Cover - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 08-21-2018, 05:05 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 towed by F-150 with 2.7l eb, formerly Escape 17B 2017
Tonneau Cover

We are looking to acquire a hard folding tonneau cover for our new to us Ford F-150. Anyone got any recommendations? Particularly interested in how waterproof/resistant they are. Back Industries Bak Flip covers seem to be very popular, bit some on-line reviewers and posts suggest that they are not that water resistant, and living in Vancouver this is an issue. I don't think we expect everything to be 100% dry, but we would prefer everything to be mostly dry.

As always, we know that Forum members are happy to share experiences and comments.

Thanks much in advance.
Chris & Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 05:10 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
Chris, I’ve been using the backflip for a few yrs.. I love it,keeps my things secure and flips backup of the way for loaded or unloading. I keep my item in separate totes tools, electrical , parts and so on never have had a issues with items not in tote getting wet.
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 05:18 PM   #3

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
i use a cheaper roll up one. i love it and I'm glad didn't spend more on it. But people have different priorities it wasn't a big deal to me just needed something to hide my stuff and keep the rain off the things in the back of my truck.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 05:23 PM   #4

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
I agree with you Fox the roll ups are nice n easy to store when not in use. I just like the backflip for security reasons
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 05:58 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
What a timely post since I now have to wait for 2-3 months for my new F-150 to arrive. Since a tonneau cover is high on the list to add as soon as I take delivery this will work out really well for me. By then you'll have had time to do all the research and share the results.

I agree, the Bak looks like a leading contender. I know what you mean about water proof. I'd settle for minor leakage but not a flood.

I made a hard tonneau cover using aluminum and rigid foam for my Ranger. Not because I'm a glutton for punishment but because it was one of the very last Rangers made and by then Ford was using the boxes from the new Rangers sold everywhere but in North America. I bought a Bak but it didn't fit. The homemade one worked quite well. The panels slid in a "C" shaped extrusion and sealed by compression. It had minor leaks and that wasn't a problem so I wouldn't be too concerned if the Bak as has a few drips.

So, keep us posted on what you learn and see.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
29-02-2012 11-22-02 AM  002_resize.JPG   17-03-2012 12-08-24 PM  001_resize.JPG  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 06:05 PM   #6

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 TA
I followed Jim Bennett's lead and put in the Fold-A-Cover with the tool caddy in my F-150. Pricey, but it folds back for use with the 5.0 and still allows access to the locked caddy. When not towing it covers the entire bed and locks on both ends.
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 06:08 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I did a ton of research on this when I bought one and settled on the Fold-a-Cover with the built in tool caddy. It has done me great for near 3 years now I carry all my tools in the caddy, which I do need a step stool which I use to reach all the way in.

No leaks, fairly secure, easy to install, and still working good, so glad for what I chose.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 06:48 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
I’m using a Fold-A-Cover for a little better than a year. I got it with the tool box option. The tool box has been completely dry. The bed of the truck stays mostly dry. It can be locked on both ends so provides a measure of security as my tailgate also locks. This works well with the 5.0. I see I’m not the only one happy with it.
Attached Thumbnails
FDBD7B00-8BE0-4647-BBA5-6694EC3068F9.jpg   50AD2808-7916-42C5-A440-B8FE5280F24F.jpg  
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 06:52 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
What a timely post since I now have to wait for 2-3 months for my new F-150 to arrive. Since a tonneau cover is high on the list to add as soon as I take delivery this will work out really well for me. By then you'll have had time to do all the research and share the results.

I agree, the Bak looks like a leading contender. I know what you mean about water proof. I'd settle for minor leakage but not a flood.

I made a hard tonneau cover using aluminum and rigid foam for my Ranger. Not because I'm a glutton for punishment but because it was one of the very last Rangers made and by then Ford was using the boxes from the new Rangers sold everywhere but in North America. I bought a Bak but it didn't fit. The homemade one worked quite well. The panels slid in a "C" shaped extrusion and sealed by compression. It had minor leaks and that wasn't a problem so I wouldn't be too concerned if the Bak as has a few drips.

Ron
You built that? I am impressed 👌
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 06:57 PM   #10

Trailer: 2012 15-A
Roll ‘n Lock Cover

Take a look at the Roll ‘n Lock as well. It keeps or truck bed very dry over here in Victoria, is compact and is secure. We’ve previously had one for 8 years and just put a new one on our new Titan.

Regards
Scott
Kćrnehuset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 11:21 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
Quote:

Ron
I'm impressed too!!! Now try it using portable solar panels instead of rigid foam.
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 08:36 AM   #12

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19' (sold), Escape 5.0 as of August 2019 (sold)
The fold a cover has four panels. So on a short bed (5.5 ft) this would make each panel approx 16.5 in. (66 / 4 = 16.5) and the opening on the front and back panels 16.5 inches if they are all of equal size. Is this correct?
JStelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 09:54 AM   #13

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by JStelly View Post
The fold a cover has four panels. So on a short bed (5.5 ft) this would make each panel approx 16.5 in. (66 / 4 = 16.5) and the opening on the front and back panels 16.5 inches if they are all of equal size. Is this correct?
Yes, they are of equal (or near) size. I do have the 6.5' box, though I know of a few that have the 5.5' box using this cover and have no issue with it.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 10:21 AM   #14

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
I use the fold-a-cover with the 5.5 box, it works well with the 5TA.
I did have the roll-n-lock cover with the truck. The problem I had with it was one had to keep it clean before retracting it otherwise all the debris ends up in the tray blocking the drains. Several times a year I would have to remove the top an clean out the tray. The fittings for the drain tubes were too small, difficult to clear if plugged.
Old 08-22-2018, 11:54 AM   #15

Quote:

Ron
We will do our best, but we are heading to Europe in a couple of weeks and won't be back until mid October so may not have purchased and had experience with the cover by the time your new rig arrives.
Old 08-22-2018, 02:13 PM   #16

Or not. We're away to two different places in the interim.

I can see that I'm going to have to make up a spreadsheet. Price alone isn't going to be the determinant with BAK at $849 and Fold a Cover at $885 US.

Ron
Old 08-22-2018, 03:37 PM   #17

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Or not. We're away to two different places in the interim.

I can see that I'm going to have to make up a spreadsheet. Price alone isn't going to be the determinant with BAK at $849 and Fold a Cover at $885 US.

Ron
I don't think you can go wrong with either. If you want the tool caddy then the decision is easier, if not I'm not sure how to choose between the two of it matters a whole lot.
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 04:28 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
I'm not sure how to choose between the two of it matters a whole lot.
If what I see online is accurate the foldacover is good if you want the toolbox but the BAK, flipped up out of the way might be better for me when I'm filling the box with yard trimmings etc.

But I'm a see and touch person so I'll be making the rounds of the dealers and get a better sense of what they're like in reality. There's probably a couple of other brands also to consider. At this early stage it's looking like the BAKflip is the most likely.

Ron
Old 08-22-2018, 05:24 PM   #19

Quote:
If what I see online is accurate the foldacover is good if you want the toolbox but the BAK, flipped up out of the way might be better for me when I'm filling the box with yard trimmings etc.

But I'm a see and touch person so I'll be making the rounds of the dealers and get a better sense of what they're like in reality. There's probably a couple of other brands also to consider. At this early stage it's looking like the BAKflip is the most likely.

Ron
Ron, I have just been over to Burnaby Hitch and they are liking the Undercover Ultra Flex better than the Bakflip MX4. They believe that some aspects of the product are better made and they have experienced some quality issues with the MX4. Jim Bennett likes Fold-a-cover, but unfortunately there are no dealers in BC that handle it, whereas there are in Calgary. I guess you could pick one up at a dealership in Mount Vernon, WA.
Old 08-22-2018, 05:51 PM   #20

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
I've had the Undercover Flex for two years, following the lead of several Escape owners, whose names, shall we say, escape me.

It's been entirely waterproof and has two prop rods that keep the sections from leaning on the cab, when folded. My son chose the Bak, and is now trying to add things to waterproof it.

Bought mine on line and installed it myself. A friend in town here just bought one after seeing ours, installed it himself, and gave a good report.

Not saying it's better, just that I'm pleased.
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote