Tonneau covers - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-13-2021, 08:58 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA
Tonneau covers

Wondering how many have a tonneau cover and whether you would recommend the one that you have. I pull a 5.0 so need something that would work with that. Thanks.
Old 07-13-2021, 09:40 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 5.0 T/A "Escaper"
F150 6.5 bed. I have a peragon cover and it folds accordion style towards the cab clear of my hitch when the trailer is connected and can be pulled closed over the hitch when disconnected. It hangs down in the bed when opened so you do lose some bed access but it does not obstruct the view out the back window.

It's not perfect but has served my needs well, a little security and keeps the snow out in the winter. I'd get the dual lock option if I bought another one to help it stay up after a wet heavy snow.

Company has provided excellent customer service for two replacement parts I've needed.
akmacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 10:05 PM   #3

Trailer: 2021 5.0 TA in about a year. Lol
We have the gator FX tonneau cover, it folds 4 times and is out of the way for our Anderson goose neck hitch.
1200bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 10:17 PM   #4

Trailer: 2012 15-A
Roll and lock. Rolls in on itself at the front of the box and is out of the way.
Scott
Kærnehuset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 10:42 PM   #5

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by akmacs View Post
F150 6.5 bed. I have a peragon cover and it folds accordion style towards the cab clear of my hitch when the trailer is connected and can be pulled closed over the hitch when disconnected. It hangs down in the bed when opened so you do lose some bed access but it does not obstruct the view out the back window.

It's not perfect but has served my needs well, a little security and keeps the snow out in the winter. I'd get the dual lock option if I bought another one to help it stay up after a wet heavy snow.

Company has provided excellent customer service for two replacement parts I've needed.
Thanks. Is it possible to leave it partially open?
Old 07-13-2021, 10:53 PM   #6

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0ta
I have the Extang Solid Fold II cover and Demco hitch. This combo works well on my truck. Not sure how well it would work with a different hitch setup.
Attached Thumbnails
tonneau.jpg  
nepaweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 07:09 AM   #7

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
We have a Access roll-up cover that's now on it's second F150. We also pull a 5.0. Works great when we're not hooked to our 5.0.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 07-14-2021, 09:29 AM   #8

Trailer: 2021 5.0 TA
Here's my gator 4 fold cover, and it can also fold up one more time in the upright position. And then gets snapped in place.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20210714_072503598_HDRa.jpg  
WanderBred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 09:46 AM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel Clown View Post
Wondering how many have a tonneau cover and whether you would recommend the one that you have. I pull a 5.0 so need something that would work with that. Thanks.
Toyota Tundra 6.5 ft bed w/trifold cover...works very well. I like that my generator is under cover even with it open and I can close it when unhooked to protect other things in bed like firewood.

I used a bit of typing correction tape on the folded cover at the center line to help with hooking up as I cannot see my Anderson ball. I also use those Camco magnetic line up balls to help. like this https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Magneti.../dp/B007772HG4
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 09:59 AM   #10

Trailer: 2017 5.0
I had a tri-fold cover which had a fatal flaw, it did not fold one last time upright against the cab, and when it was down it didn't give me enough room to hook up easily (see first pic). So I replaced it with a Leer / Pace Edwards Switchblade, which is great as it gives me plenty more room, while still being secure when closed. Only downside to these retractable types is that the cartridge is in the bed and takes up some space near the cab, but I've found I still have plenty room for cargo...I've been on a few big trips with this and would recommend it.
Attached Thumbnails
PXL_20210405_231210401.jpg   PXL_20210413_233841786.jpg   PXL_20210413_233908084.jpg  
Old 07-14-2021, 10:59 AM   #11

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0ta
One small advantage to the conventional fifth wheel hitch is that you don't have to raise and lower the trailer onto a ball hitch. Just back up until the trailer pin engages the hitch and the coupler locks closed around the pin. If the front of the pin box is slightly under the tonneau cover it doesn't really interfere with hitching the trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
hitch1.jpg  
nepaweb is offline   Reply With Quote