tonneau for 5.0: tri-fold vs roll-up? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-16-2021, 03:38 PM   #1

Trailer: 2022 5.0TA
tonneau for 5.0: tri-fold vs roll-up?

Generally there should be 6 inches vertical clearance between trailer and the sides of the truck bed. When folded, a tri-fold tonneau can be 4 inches tall. This reduces the clearance. While turning on uneven ground this could be an issue.

Is clearance while turning on uneven ground an issue for tri-fold tonneau covers?

Would a roll up tonneau be better?
richm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 05:47 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
I guess the first thing to know is what is the bed length of your truck? Next, how far is your installed hitch from the cab? Use this info to search on eBay for one that works for you, 3 or 4 fold hard or roll-up.
Old 08-16-2021, 06:26 PM   #3

Trailer: 5.0 TA "Sea'scape"
I have a 4-section hard Fold-a-Cover tonneau cover on a 2011 F-250. It works great with an Andersen hitch for our 5.0. The rear three sections stack on top of the front section when towing. When the cover is fully deployed, the front 1/4 opens independently for access to the front of the bed.

Unfortunately, it seems the company has gone out of business. I've looked online to find a similar cover but haven't been able to find one. Anyone else have luck finding something similar?
Hawkeye Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 06:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
I guess the first thing to know is what is the bed length of your truck? Next, how far is your installed hitch from the cab? Use this info to search on eBay for one that works for you, 3 or 4 fold hard or roll-up.
My question is specifically about the "POSSIBLE CONTACT ZONE" shown below. My truck is a Tundra crewmax 5ft 7in bed with an Anderson hitch.

A folded tonneau cover would take up approx. four inches of this zone. It would be the front of the bed, so it may only be an issue when making sharp turns on uneven ground. That's why I'm unsure whether this is an issue.
Old 08-16-2021, 07:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye Ed View Post
I have a 4-section hard Fold-a-Cover tonneau cover on a 2011 F-250. It works great with an Andersen hitch for our 5.0. The rear three sections stack on top of the front section when towing. When the cover is fully deployed, the front 1/4 opens independently for access to the front of the bed.

Unfortunately, it seems the company has gone out of business. I've looked online to find a similar cover but haven't been able to find one. Anyone else have luck finding something similar?
Yes, fold-a-cover looked nice.

Extang has a "Encore" model that has the same feature -- the portion near the cab opens. They discontinued it a few weeks ago. I've not found anything available now that open near the cab.
Old 08-16-2021, 07:15 PM   #6

Trailer: 2019 E19
I don't know how fancy of a bed cover your looking for. I have an cheap Gator brand tri-fold that I bought several years ago so it predates our order of the 5.0. It is about 3.75" thick when fully folded open. The nice thing about it is how easy it is to remove in a pinch. Two camming levers and 15secs later I can put it wherever I like. In the bed of the truck if there's room or in the trailer if needed. It's light and very easy to handle by yourself. I recently moved some furniture for my daughter and we needed more bed space so I popped the bed cover off and sat it long ways in the bed of the truck.

There was a video on Youtube not too long ago of a fellow that was reviewing a 5.0TA that he came across in an RV park. I noticed the 5.0 owner had the same Gator tri-fold bed cover that I have. Not an endorsement by any means, but it gave me a better feeling about whether or not mine will suffice. I just searched and came up empty handed on that video. It appears that it was taken down.
Chamberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 08:48 PM   #7

Thanks Chamberman for the advice about being able to use more of the bed with the tri-folds.

It sounds like most folks use a tri-fold, and no one has mentioned any issues with the trailer coming into contact with a tri-fold. So as it stands I'm looking at the tri-folds. I'm open to any brand.
Old 08-17-2021, 11:21 PM   #8

Trailer: 2018 5.0 T/A "Escaper"
I have the peragon cover and it has served me well. The rails stick up above the bedrails a bit but less than what a tri fold cover would when opened fully.

https://www.peragon.com/shop/img/trucks/R2-QC_black.jpg
akmacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 11:42 PM   #9

Trailer: 2021 5.0 TA
I got the quad fold tonneau cover for my six and a half foot bed and it clears easily.
WanderBred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 07:11 AM   #10

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0ta
I have an Extang tri- fold cover.
My truck bed sides are 57" tall when unloaded. The trailer has the lift kit installed.
So far no issues with the trailer contacting the tonneau cover. In a tight turn it looks like the trailer nose would contact the truck cab before it would touch the cover.
Attached Thumbnails
tonneau.jpg  
nepaweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 12:26 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 5.0
Don't forget the 3rd option, which is a retractable, aka cartridge style, tonneau. I had some issues with clearance on my short bed, and got a Pace Edwards Switchblade and now I have zero worries about clearance. Only downside is, I have a little less room in my pickup bed for storage, where the cartridge sits inside the bed up against the cab. I still have plenty of room for my needs, but it may not work for everyone...
Old 08-18-2021, 01:06 PM   #12

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
i have a roll up - works great. I didn't want to spend a lot and it locks down. Yes someone could cut it open to get inside but not being able to see what's there seems to limit interest.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 04:28 PM   #13

Trailer: Escape 5.0
It seems like a roll-up cover with a velcro or zipper section that could be opened to allow for the tow connection would work well. This would also provide good security for whatever is in the pickup. But I haven't found such a thing. Has anyone seen this kind of cover?
tom&pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 06:15 PM   #14

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by richm View Post
Generally there should be 6 inches vertical clearance between trailer and the sides of the truck bed. When folded, a tri-fold tonneau can be 4 inches tall. This reduces the clearance. While turning on uneven ground this could be an issue.

Is clearance while turning on uneven ground an issue for tri-fold tonneau covers?

Would a roll up tonneau be better?
I have a soft folding tonneau cover on my tundra 6.5 ft bed (an extang I think...toyota sells them) and it works great w/my anderson hitch and my 5.0 TA. Never a contact problem as it is totally forward of the pivot point of the hitch...you would have to be at a crazy more than 90 degree angle for it to make contact. Not very likely. Don't fret it. I much prefer folding covers over roll up ones too.
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote