Torque in a mid sized SUV…. looking for our next midsized SUV - BMW X5d vs Audi Q7 - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 07-17-2017, 05:48 PM   #41

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
I should have said that we have sufficiency "for our needs." Yes, there are those who find a 4Runner is not enough of the horsepower or torque that they want regarding where and how they drive. Fine for us.

There are those who like their Sequoias better or whatever trucks they have for a 21'. Of course, some have more people in the family or big dogs or kayaks.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 01:14 AM   #42

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by canyonrider View Post
Fair enough. Given your criteria, the Q7 (or VW Touareg) would seem to be good choices.

And

On fathers days, my wife asked me what I wanted to do

I gave her a verbal list, and one of the items was to have her test drive an Audi Q7.

She did, and she liked it.

This is good news. At least we have one good option for eventual tow vehicle upgrade.

John
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 08:32 PM   #43

Trailer: 2017 19’
Mid sized SUV

Greetings...we will be picking our 19' on the 23rd of August, we will be towing with a 2013 Mercedes ML350 Bluetec ( Diesel) it only has 240 hp, but has 455 ft. Lbs of torque. It has a 7200 lb tow rating / 575 lbs tongue wt./ wdh. I will let you know how it tows, but I have no doubt that the Q7, X5 or VW Toureg would have any problems towing.
Dan
dan55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 11:42 PM   #44

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan55 View Post
Greetings...we will be picking our 19' on the 23rd of August, we will be towing with a 2013 Mercedes ML350 Bluetec ( Diesel) it only has 240 hp, but has 455 ft. Lbs of torque. It has a 7200 lb tow rating / 575 lbs tongue wt./ wdh. I will let you know how it tows, but I have no doubt that the Q7, X5 or VW Toureg would have any problems towing.
Dan
Thanks Dan... that is an amazing amount of torque, and an impressive tow and tongue rating.

At a glance it appears that Mercedes no longer makes that vehicle for the USA, as far as i could find.

the 2018 gas variant has almost identical horsepower and torque to our 2011 MDX.

the only option for more power would be the AMG GLE 43 SUV

385 HP

384 lb-ft torque.

7200 towing capacity.

- $68,000 to start. Yikes.

John
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 12:12 AM   #45

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post
At a glance it appears that Mercedes no longer makes that vehicle. Does anyone know what would be the most like it, in terms of torque and towing capacity, in the 2017 models?
Mercedes didn't really change their model lineup, they just renamed them all. The old names starting with "ML" for the M-Class have been replaced by names starting with "GLE" (so it is now the GLE-Class); however, there is no current version of the 2013 ML350 because while there is a GLE 350, it is not currently available with a diesel engine (in North America). There are probably no Mercedes diesels available, other than the Sprinter commercial van, and heavy truck engines.

Since the current models are all gasoline, they will all produce much more power but at higher engine speeds than the similarly sized diesels. The highest torque will be from the largest engines (Mercedes builds V8 engines sized like Ford/GM/Chrysler) and the turbocharged engines (such as that AMG GLE 43). AMG-branded models have the highest mechanical specs, including the most power. The AMG GLE 43 has a turbocharged 3.0 L V6, and its 384 lb-ft of torque is available from 2,500 to 5,500 rpm, so it would haul a trailer up a mountain a lot faster than the old ML350 diesel, which could only maintain that peak torque to about 2,000 rpm and was maxed out and rev-limiting by the top of the GLE 43's torque plateau.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 08:21 AM   #46

I hadn't realized that they weren't using the diesel in the Mercedes SUV anymore, perhaps emissions or low sales., in any case good luck when the rime comes to pull the trigger, I would have no qualms with any of those for pulling the escapes.
Old 08-06-2017, 08:23 AM   #47

It is unfortunate that they aren't using the Diesel in the SUV's ...very solid for towing and decent economy.
Old 08-07-2017, 12:40 AM   #48

For anyone currently looking for a diesel SUV in North America, your choice is probably down to
  • BMW - X5 xDrive35d
  • Fiat Chrysler - Jeep Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel
  • Jaguar - F-Pace 20d (towing capacity unknown... but it's only a 2.0L engine)
  • Land Rover - Range Rover Td6 and Range Rover Sport Td6
Jaguar has a diesel line due to their European primary market; however, their stated direction is electrification, so the diesel line might not expand, and could even vanish.
There might be VW/Audi/Porsche model, depending on legal status, but VW is definitely bailing from their "Clean Diesel" strategy post-fiasco.
Mercedes is likely to return in the future, since they haven't had any big problems and will have suitable engines available for the foreseeable future; they are said to have "paused" diesel sales, not ended them.

Of course I may have missed something in the SUVs, and there are also diesel sedans, vans, and pickup trucks.
Old 12-15-2017, 05:56 PM   #49

Mercedes diesel update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
There are probably no Mercedes diesels available, other than the Sprinter commercial van, and heavy truck engines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Mercedes is likely to return in the future, since they haven't had any big problems and will have suitable engines available for the foreseeable future; they are said to have "paused" diesel sales, not ended them.
Although Mercedes diesels may eventually return, this has turned out to not a short-term absence. They have left diesels out of regulatory filings for the coming year, and apparently have concerns that don't sound like they're going away:
Mercedes says goodbye to diesel in North America

Large commercial vehicles would obviously not be included in this, and my guess is that all commercial vehicles that currently have diesels would continue with them. That means a Sprinter is likely to keep getting a diesel - and that can work for towing an Escape - but that's not an SUV.
Old 12-18-2017, 07:24 PM   #50

I had forgotten to post the towing results with the ML350 diesel...18 mpg towing at 65 through various terrain, 17 when towing at 70 ( which was only on our last day trying to beat the arrival of Hurricane Irma). It was a big drop from the 28 mpg we averaged on the trip to Chilliwack, but overall pleased with the handling. Never had any issues on any grades with slowing down or temperature climbing.
We bought it used so we weren’t aware of them dropping the diesel, no regrets. N
Old 12-18-2017, 08:23 PM   #51

Actually it was Hurricane Hermine.
Old 12-19-2017, 07:26 PM   #52

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
We are very happy with our Grand Cherokee diesel. With the extra cost of the diesel engine purchase, you probably won't ever save money over the Grand Cherokee with a V8 but I feel better about the better mileage. I like the extra power over the gas V6.
Mountain_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 06:11 PM   #53
Hen

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
Hello, I'm assuming this is an old post, but one I have been looking for. I have a 2018 BMW X5 35d and used it to tow a 2014 Casita SD and now a 2019 Escape 19. The car has been flawless and very comfortable and is rated at 6,000 pounds towing capacity with 600 pounds on the tongue. I've noticed the difference in pulling, but it still seems to do very well, no weight distribution hitch, BMW's have been doing much better these days with consumer reports and I really do not expect to have much trouble with it, I'm even running run flat tires on it. I get over 26 mpg pulling the Escape just for reference. The best part is the range we get out of a tank, its impressive. Anyone else out there towing with a BMW?
Hen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 06:17 PM   #54

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
That mileage is unprecedented, what was it with the Casita for comparison?
Old 07-13-2020, 06:56 PM   #55

Trailer: 2020 21NE - dual dinettes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hen View Post
Anyone else out there towing with a BMW?
My brother tows a 19 with a BMW X5 diesel. I know he is happy with how it tows. He recently towed from Everett, WA to Colorado Springs and back. I'll ask him about his mileage, and get the year on his Beemer.
sherminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 08:16 PM   #56

Trailer: 2020 21NE - dual dinettes
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherminator View Post
My brother tows a 19 with a BMW X5 diesel. I know he is happy with how it tows. He recently towed from Everett, WA to Colorado Springs and back. I'll ask him about his mileage, and get the year on his Beemer.
My brother has a 2013. He says he didn't keep track of his mileage, but that he's sure it was nowhere near 26mpg. He says he thinks 26mpg is about what he gets for hwy mileage when he's NOT towing. He allows that the improvements from 2013 to 2018 may very easily have improved mileage enough to explain the difference between him and Hen. Also, my brother usually has a 14' kayak on his BMW while he is towing. He is still happy with his BMW as a tow vehicle. Plenty of power, and handles well. He uses the Fastway E2 hitch Escape supplies.
sherminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 11:43 PM   #57

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hen View Post
Hello- I have a 2018 BMW X5 35d ...The car has been flawless and very comfortable and is rated at 6,000 pounds towing capacity with 600 pounds on the tongue. I've noticed the difference in pulling, but it still seems to do very well, no weight distribution hitch, BMW's have been doing much better these days ... I get over 26 mpg pulling the Escape ... Anyone else out there towing with a BMW?
Interesting- sounds good, yet not enough clearance or cargo for us. Have a friend who just came into an inheritance...bought a 2016 Porsche Cayenne and a stickie 26'. Sez HP LOL! Me- neither HP or MPG is the ultimate deciding factor. Post 2007 diesels in USA are subject to severe emissions requirements and can be very costly after warranty expires.
Old 07-14-2020, 08:01 AM   #58
Hen

it was about the same. I have been towing in the eco mode which seems to make a difference.
Old 07-14-2020, 08:09 AM   #59
Hen

We try to tow really light, nothing on the roof, pretty empty in the back of the X5, and bare essentials in side the trailer. Taking a longer trip at the end of the month and will be carrying a lot more stuff so will see what that does to the mileage. Thank you for the reply.
Old 07-14-2020, 08:13 AM   #60
Hen

By the way Jim, we picked up a couple of those dehumidifier plug in things and they work great here in Georgia! Thanks for the suggestion.