Tow for 5.0TA - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 05-04-2020, 07:29 AM   #21

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by arniesea View Post
But if you had a 6.5' bed, you would have a smaller cab and more payload.
My 2015 F-150 has a 6.5' bed, and the largest cab, the SuperCrew.

Options do reduce payload, and mine has lots and is a Lariat, but I still have a 1,650 lb payload, and have had no troubles at all with keeping within the limits. I have considered adding some kind of additional rear axle support, but am too busy to look into what to use.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 07:48 AM   #22

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelliro View Post
We are actively researching and planning a purchase of the 5.0TA. We have not purchased a truck and are looking for suggestions. We were interested in the Jeep Gladiator but with a 60 inch bed that looks like it won’t work. Can this forum give us some mid-size truck options? Many thanks. Learning so much from this group!
Do some research on this truck, it looks to be totally capable as long as it’s got the tow package but at the price point there’s lots of available vehicles that might do you a lot better. TFL trucks web site might be 1 place to start.
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 01:04 PM   #23

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, "Zen Purple", 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado/Duramax
There are several on here who tow their 5.0TA with a GMC Canyon or Chevy Colorado with the diesel and have reported good results. I have the latter for my 19. If you're set on a mid-size, these trucks are worth considering. My Colorado's payload is 1,390 lbs, and if you're careful with the weight of the hitch and how you load the truck and trailer, it could do the job. Not sure if the gas V-6 in these models have the capability to tow a 5.0TA, but it might be worth checking if you'd rather avoid a diesel.

I've recently seen that GMC and Chevy may be discontinuing the diesel engines in these midsize trucks after the 2021 model year, so anyone who is interested might want to get one sooner than later!
salmo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 01:43 PM   #24

Trailer: None Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
False.......Ford no longer offers a “payload package” as such for the F-150. If you get the “maximum tow” package it provides somewhere around a 300 pound greater cargo capacity. However, the maximum tow package is only available with the 3.5L EcoBoost or the V-8. It is not offered with the 2.7L EcoBoost engine, although a lot of people tow the 5.0TA with the 2.7L F-150.

Ford does have the Heavy Duty Payload Package for 2020. Use order code 627.

"Heavy-Duty Payload Package (req. 53A Trailer Tow Pkg. with 995 5.0L engine; req. 53C Max Trailer Tow Pkg. with 994 3.5L EcoBoost® engine; NA with 3.0L V6 Power Stroke® Diesel engine (991))".

But no 2.7L Ecoboost. This is from the 2020 F150 order guide.
lcseds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 06:20 AM   #25

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Quote:
Originally Posted by arniesea View Post
I tow my 2019 5.0 TA with a 2017 Toyota Tundra Platinum with a Crewmax Cab, 4x4, 5.5 ft bed with an Anderson Ultimate ball mount hitch and a 5.7L engine. Payload = 1190 lbs. My rig has worked great for over 15,000 miles of towing so far. If I had it to do over again, I would have gotten the rail mount Anderson instead of the ball mount since that hitch has a smaller footprint in the bed.

This it a good example of the differences between the same make but different trim lines if you look at the post by Ian and his Tundra.

One thing to note is that typically if you go with a larger cab, not only does the payload go down but the bed is shorter. The 1 foot bed difference between Ian's Tundra and mine is distance between the cab and the rear axel. Generally the distance from the rear axle to the tailgate will be the same for a given manufacture across trim lines. Something to think about depending on what you might want to carry in the bed. Smaller cab = more payload and more room in the truck bed.

Oh, and personally, I think white trucks go better with the 5.0.

Hi Guys:

As we have spoken about, we pull with the same truck. I was wondering if you try and limit the amount of stuff you take with you, or can you pretty much carry what you want? I see myself limiting the amount of stuff I carry.

Do you ever have to leave the Rat Terrier at home because he weighs too much?
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 07:50 AM   #26

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Overload...

Hi UncleTim... Due to the loaded nature of my tug and the lowered cargo cap, I limit myself to carry Yuengling Light Lager and my Slim Fast!!! Some times I allow my wife along but she might not be allowed to bring her "Knitting". Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 10:56 AM   #27

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi UncleTim... Due to the loaded nature of my tug and the lowered cargo cap, I limit myself to carry Yuengling Light Lager and my Slim Fast!!! Some times I allow my wife along but she might not be allowed to bring her "Knitting". Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
😆 gotta set ones priorities......
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 09:38 PM   #28

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA
Have been towing with a 2014 Sierra 5.3 dbl cab (2018 5.0ta), but just replaced with a 2020 Sierra 3L diesel (10speed tranny). So smooth we forget we're towing. Gas is cheap, but diesel goes a very looonng way!
PM15283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 08:00 AM   #29

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by PM15283 View Post
Have been towing with a 2014 Sierra 5.3 dbl cab (2018 5.0ta), but just replaced with a 2020 Sierra 3L diesel (10speed tranny). So smooth we forget we're towing. Gas is cheap, but diesel goes a very looonng way!
What’s yer mileage when towing.
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 09:48 AM   #30

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA
Have not yet done more than short trips, but am headed from Tucson to MN early next week. Best during break-in period has been just under 20 towing. (Mid 30s when not towing.)
PM15283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 10:29 AM   #31

Trailer: 2019 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelliro View Post
... Can this forum give us some mid-size truck options?
We love our 2019 GMC Canyon diesel with the long box and an Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Hitch (installed by Trademasters in Chilliwack when we picked up our trailer). It has great pulling power through the mountains and the engine exhaust brake gives great control descending back down.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200324_152137.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	255.8 KB
ID:	46875

Ron
1996-2005: 1987 Award 23'
RonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 11:15 AM   #32

Trailer: 21 foot 5.0 fifth wheel 2017
We use ram 1500 no problems from chiliwack back to maine
Michael.Chadwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 07:38 PM   #33

Trailer: Escape 5.0 2007 pulled by RAM 1500 ecodiesel
My two cents on the discussion

My background is in logistic support of defense system. When we studied an item, we looked at the mission, the acquisition cost, the operating cost, and the life/support expectancy. A 5.0 TA is a small load in the pickup world and most suggested trucks on the forum will do the work. The acquisition costs are competitive, so no big difference. The discriminator will be with the options chosen for the truck. It can literally vary by 25K depending on the options chosen, but it more or less cost the same between companies. The life/support expectancy is also very good, there no real bad player. In my humble opinion the operating cost is where you will find a difference. I tow a 5.0 single axle (2007)* with a RAM 1500 EcoDiesel and we average 11.3 l/100Km (that is 20.8 MPG US GAL). It does not vary if we tow or not. The only time we observed a variation is during mountain trekking where it varied by 5%. On a long trip it makes a big difference. The difference in fuel cost make the truck much more interesting for any use. I will also add that a diesel is made to handle workload. The trucking industry runs on diesel for a simple reason, these motors are built for strength. When towing and going up a hill the RPM of the motor barely varies. And this my friend means more money stays in your pocket.
Hope this can help you in your decision

*Our 5.0 is surnamed “Escape Hatch” previously owned by Escape Artist and Emers382
allenmaloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 11:47 PM   #34

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenmaloney View Post
I tow a 5.0 single axle (2007)* with a RAM 1500 EcoDiesel...
I will also add that a diesel is made to handle workload. The trucking industry runs on diesel for a simple reason, these motors are built for strength.
That particular engine (VM Motori A 630 DOHC) is not used in any commercial truck (it's from a Fiat subsidiary, but Fiat uses different engines in their vans and commercial trucks), but it is used in cars (the Chrysler 300 / Lancia Thema and some Maseratis) and some Jeeps. There's no reason to expect it to be more durable than a random gasoline engine.

Despite having no real durability advantage, and likely higher non-fuel operating costs than the alternatives, this engine probably is a good match for the job, on the basis of efficiency.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 09:58 AM   #35

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post
Hi Guys:

As we have spoken about, we pull with the same truck. I was wondering if you try and limit the amount of stuff you take with you, or can you pretty much carry what you want? I see myself limiting the amount of stuff I carry.

Do you ever have to leave the Rat Terrier at home because he weighs too much?
Tim, sorry, I missed this post a couple of weeks ago. With the larger footprint of my Andersen Ultimate, space is more of a limiting factor than weight. The heaviest item is my 6-gal drinking water container. I also tuck my levelers, wheel chocks,In around the hitch frame. A broom, my grill and Outdoor rugs take up the rest of the space.

Tools and other such valuables are in the cab.

If I left 11# Kizzy at home, I would also save the weight of my wife! The two are inseparable.
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 05:50 PM   #36

Okay so I can FINALLY talk with a little experience.

I tow with a Toyota Tundra 2018 Limited, with an Anderson hitch and gooseneck (the kit).

So far I have pulled her about 600 miles. I am currently at Challis Hot Springs in Idaho. Marvelous place, family run, tiny! I am typing at the dinette.

The 5.0TA pulls like a dream! It is by far the easiest trailer I have ever towed (I have two) and I have to keep reminding myself, there is an expensive trailer on the back. It pulls real easy! I LOVE IT!

I picked it up two days ago and I am working my way back home. I did the North Cascades Highway Yesterday and drove down to mid level Idaho Today. I am staying a couple of days at the hot springs cause this is just sooooooo good!

So far I don't see the limits of the trailer or weight yet. I am sure those boundaries are there, but this is a really great little combo. I think the truck is spot on!

This truck handles better than any other truck I ever owned. I am thrilled!
Attached Thumbnails
Zen and Moodra.jpg  
Old 05-15-2020, 06:19 PM   #37

Trailer: na
Hi UncleTim,
Can you expand on your experiences with traveling and camping in the current conditions? May not be the correct thread for it but I would really like to hear how it is out there.
J
ucancallmejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 06:23 PM   #38

Trailer: na
Sorry, Just saw your posts concerning this on another thread.
J
ucancallmejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 06:05 AM   #39

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post
Okay so I can FINALLY talk with a little experience.

I tow with a Toyota Tundra 2018 Limited, with an Anderson hitch and gooseneck (the kit).

So far I have pulled her about 600 miles. I am currently at Challis Hot Springs in Idaho. Marvelous place, family run, tiny! I am typing at the dinette.

The 5.0TA pulls like a dream! It is by far the easiest trailer I have ever towed (I have two) and I have to keep reminding myself, there is an expensive trailer on the back. It pulls real easy! I LOVE IT!

I picked it up two days ago and I am working my way back home. I did the North Cascades Highway Yesterday and drove down to mid level Idaho Today. I am staying a couple of days at the hot springs cause this is just sooooooo good!

So far I don't see the limits of the trailer or weight yet. I am sure those boundaries are there, but this is a really great little combo. I think the truck is spot on!

This truck handles better than any other truck I ever owned. I am thrilled!
Congratulations! I’m glad you are liking your rig. It IS a great combo. So glad that all your research is paying off and now you are reaping the rewards.

The only boundaries I have experienced is going down a long, steep 8% grade in the Pennsylvania mountains. Needed to keep it in 3rd to keep my speed down without too much braking. I did have a full fresh tank on that run. It was worse than Rabbit Ears dropping into Steamboat!

Cheers!
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 06:53 AM   #40

I was able to adjust the electric brakes to a +8 setting. That gives me firm control of the trailer. And the little slider on the trailer brakes is highly useful in that situation. I just slide it slightly, the truck tells me the percentage of electric braking I am applying (usually less than 20%) and the whole rig has this firm but gentle slowing, fully under control. I did drop into Fourth for a bit, but then right back into Drive.

I was surprised how well it works. Rabbit Ears is steep! Try Teton pass on the West side.

Thanks for all the help deciding!

Tags
5.0ta tow