Tow for 5.0TA - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2020, 11:15 AM   #41

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post
I was able to adjust the electric brakes to a +8 setting. That gives me firm control of the trailer.
Thanks for all the help deciding!
Before anyone jumps to any conclusions that 8 is too high a setting, Tundras are known for having light voltage to the trailer brakes. #3 setting on a Prodigy = about a 7 on the Tundra’s integrated brake controller. Fords are about the same as Prodigy.

I dropped mine down to 7.5 after the initial break in period. Then down to 7 each time I adjust the trailer brakes, back up to 7.5 as they wear.
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 11:29 AM   #42

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by arniesea View Post
Before anyone jumps to any conclusions that 8 is too high a setting, Tundras are known for having light voltage to the trailer brakes. #3 setting on a Prodigy = about a 7 on the Tundra’s integrated brake controller. Fords are about the same as Prodigy.

I dropped mine down to 7.5 after the initial break in period. Then down to 7 each time I adjust the trailer brakes, back up to 7.5 as they wear.
Hi: arniesea... "Them's the brakes"!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 06:34 AM   #43

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Quote:
Originally Posted by arniesea View Post

Update on trailer breaking. Thru the high northern Cascades I had it set to 8. As I grew more comfortable with the trailer, and left the steep grades behind, I found 6.5 was all that was necessary.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 07:11 AM   #44

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Update on trailer breaking. Thru the high northern Cascades I had it set to 8. As I grew more comfortable with the trailer, and left the steep grades behind, I found 6.5 was all that was necessary.
Once I find the right braking power for the trailer, I leave it set there for all towing needs. Of course, I do check the performance fairly regularly.

I always have it set for proper trailer braking, regardless of what I am towing with. You never know when that braking assist could be useful, especially for an emergency situation.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 07:23 AM   #45

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 01:32 PM   #46

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Once I find the right braking power for the trailer, I leave it set there for all towing needs. Of course, I do check the performance fairly regularly.

I always have it set for proper trailer braking, regardless of what I am towing with. You never know when that braking assist could be useful, especially for an emergency situation.
I agree too! There were a few times I wanted to use that assist but could not get to it because my right hand was busy for a split second. Usually I keep both hands at or near the wheel. I do drive with one hand often, but the other is usually ready.

Plus once the brake is set right, you get additional confidence in your rig. Added piece of mind.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 08:50 PM   #47

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA
Finally pulling the 5.0 from Green Valley,AZ to Elk River, MN. First day a bit over 200 miles going north through the White Mtns. 1900 miles on the slt diesel at start, so slightly broken in. Truck and trailer both heavily loaded (holding tanks empty, water full). Stayed at 65 or less (2 lane AZ hwy) and truck showed between 17 and 19 mpg. (Looking forward to some flat land!)
PM15283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 11:33 PM   #48

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA
Day #2 of trip - 350 miles w/ lots of towns and speed zones. 50 mile avg best at 23.5, but overall avg. just under 17. This diesel can pull!
On the down side it is using DEF at about 3 times its estimate.
PM15283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 10:38 AM   #49

Trailer: escape 5.0ta
GMC Canyon owner

I tow with a 2018 GMC Canyon diesel. I would say there is plenty of towing capacity, but sometimes I have concerns about payload. I haven't yet had the chance to weigh the 5.0 on the kingpin so I just assume it's around 900 pounds. Considering the ~50 pounds for the anderson hitch that leaves me with about 450 pounds for passengers and any other cargo in the bed. In retrospect I wish I had gone with something bigger so I wouldn't have to worry about payload.

On a somewhat related note....I've been thinking about the electric future....and as much as I like the tesla cybertruck the way the bed frames are angled towards the roof makes me think there's no way to pull a 5th wheel with that design. Or is there?
soaring360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 12:13 PM   #50

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
The most I've registered for the pin weight when I used to weigh the combo was 750, not including the hitch. In my case I'd add 150 for the B&W for 900 total. Leaves me 1300.
Old 06-20-2020, 03:12 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by soaring360 View Post
I tow with a 2018 GMC Canyon diesel. I would say there is plenty of towing capacity, but sometimes I have concerns about payload. I haven't yet had the chance to weigh the 5.0 on the kingpin so I just assume it's around 900 pounds. Considering the ~50 pounds for the anderson hitch that leaves me with about 450 pounds for passengers and any other cargo in the bed. In retrospect I wish I had gone with something bigger so I wouldn't have to worry about payload.

On a somewhat related note....I've been thinking about the electric future....and as much as I like the tesla cybertruck the way the bed frames are angled towards the roof makes me think there's no way to pull a 5th wheel with that design. Or is there?
Hi: soaring360... As I always say "There's SlimFast and lite beer"!!!
I had more payload cap. with my V6 Frontier than my Ram Ecodiesel, due to how it's equipped. Alf
Attached Thumbnails
P1040975.jpg  
Old 06-20-2020, 04:09 PM   #52

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by soaring360 View Post

The Anderson hitch itself weighs less than 50, but you have to add the hardware attaching it to the truck, I’d bet at least 50lbs. Depending on frame rail mounted or turnover ball mount.
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 04:11 PM   #53

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
I had more payload cap. with my V6 Frontier than my Ram Ecodiesel, due to how it's equipped. Alf
😁Guess you better stick to the slim fast and Bud light then....
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 08:23 AM   #54

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
No payload

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
I crossed into Canada a couple years ago on my way to a little clambake at Niagara Falls, hauling a case of Yuengling Light. The border guard asked me if I had any beer and I told him what I had. He said “ No beer then eh? How about hard liquor? Yes, I had a 750 of Iowa Distilled Cedar Ridge Bourbon. He said. “Now that’s something worth hauling.” So you pays your money and you takes your choice. Right Alf?
Just having a little fun. Happy Father’s Day to you Alf and all the other Dads out there.
I have three kids.
Somebody asked me about how I liked being a father once years ago. I told them I wouldn’t take a million dollars for any one of my kids but I wouldn’t give him ten cents for another one.
He thought I was harsh.
Iowa Dave
Old 06-21-2020, 08:43 AM   #55

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
I crossed into Canada a couple years ago on my way to a little clambake at Niagara Falls, hauling a case of Yuengling Light. The border guard asked me if I had any beer and I told him what I had. He said “ No beer then eh? How about hard liquor? Yes, I had a 750 of Iowa Distilled Cedar Ridge Bourbon. He said. “Now that’s something worth hauling.” So you pays your money and you takes your choice. Right Alf?
Just having a little fun. Happy Father’s Day to you Alf and all the other Dads out there.
I have three kids.
Somebody asked me about how I liked being a father once years ago. I told them I wouldn’t take a million dollars for any one of my kids but I wouldn’t give him ten cents for another one.
He thought I was harsh.
Iowa Dave
My wife and I have been contemplating lately how nice it would be to return to Iowa , go camping and commune with nature . In all our trips to our Southern neighbor we never made it to the Cedar Ridge Winery / Distillery , an obvious oversight on our part
Thanks Dave for the reminder and Happy Father’s Day
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 09:10 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
😁Guess you better stick to the slim fast and Bud light then....
Hi: Chotch... I'd rather have Yuengling light... It still tastes like beer!!! Alf
Old 06-21-2020, 09:17 AM   #57

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Attractions

Although we haven’t had the Escape out yet this year, we do like to take a little ride, usually in the evening, and check out the local parks and campgrounds. We are seeing nearly full occupancy in the serviced state, federal and county areas on our drives on the weekends. On weekdays and Sunday nights somewhere in the neighborhood of 50 to 60 % occupancy. In the primitive areas without electricity but with water service and pit toilets about 20% on weekdays and maybe 50% on weekends. Some campgrounds have pretty large sites and not too close together and in the serviced campgrounds the sites most remote from the restrooms and shower house are the most likely to be open.

The Cedar Ridge Winery and Distillery has a nice indoor/ outdoor meeting area with wine tasting and has an excellent small plate, reasonably priced menu. Their Sunday Brunch is also popular. Iowa state parks were usually designed and developed with fishing, hiking, boating and camping in mind. In many cases there’s not a lot to do right in the park. However nearby towns, historic sites can be visited with a minimum of driving. The development of bicycle trails has been pretty robust in the past few years and they are popular.

Last night a Palisades Kepler State Park below
Iowa Dave
Attached Thumbnails
A396B1E5-DF5F-4C6B-9F3D-5A20B1764AAD.jpg  
Old 06-21-2020, 09:29 AM   #58

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
I don’t drink but even a teetotaler like me knows that Bud light dies not qualify as beer.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 09:39 AM   #59

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Dave,
If there is a Niagara meet, you bring the Cedar Ridge mash and I'll bring the Yuengling Light, we can then dangle Alf between the two of us.........
Old 06-21-2020, 11:14 AM   #60

Tanked?

Hi: All... I only drink on days ending in "Y"!!! Alf

Tags
5.0ta tow