tow mirrors - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2022, 07:22 PM   #1

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C
tow mirrors

Hello, I have a 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L that I am using to tow a 21C. I have trailer breaking and plenty of power to go and stop.

PPROBLEM: I can't find any tow mirrors for it. I really need to be able to see around the sides since I am fairly new at backing a trailer. Doesn't hurt to have them in traffic either.

Before this, I towed a 17B with a Cherokee (not Grand) and had mirrors. Worked great.

Any ideas for mirrors or different cameras welcome.

Thank you in advance!
pacificc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 07:30 PM   #2

Trailer: 2021 5.0 TA
I have two mirrors for my Tundra that snap on, but we have the backup camera that's always on when your lights are on I find that is far more useful and I just took my mirrors off.lol
WanderBred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 10:29 PM   #3

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
I personally find these better than generic mirror mounted clip / strap on mirrors.

https://www.amazon.com/CIPA-11650-De...%2C1680&sr=8-2

or

https://hensleymfg.com/product-category/mckesh-mirrors/
Old 03-04-2022, 12:40 AM   #4

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C
Thank you.
pacificc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 07:31 AM   #5

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
We just replaced out 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee last fall, but the mirrors we used are the Milenco MIL-2912 Grand Aero 3 Towing Mirror. They fit well, are very stable, very adjustable, easy to install and remove, and not too ugly. Our new tow vehicle is a little wider so I have not been using them yet but they will fit if we decide we need them. I also know someone using the same mirror on a Ford Ranger and did use them on a Honda Pilot and is happy with them. Here is a US link:

https://www.amazon.com/Milenco-MIL-2...s%2C194&sr=8-1
Mark B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 08:15 AM   #6

Trailer: ?
Go to eTrailer.com.
Enter your vehicle type.
Then search for mirrors compatible with that vehicle.
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 08:29 AM   #7

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark B1 View Post
We just replaced out 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee last fall, but the mirrors we used are the Milenco MIL-2912 Grand Aero 3 Towing Mirror. They fit well, are very stable, very adjustable, easy to install and remove, and not too ugly. Our new tow vehicle is a little wider so I have not been using them yet but they will fit if we decide we need them. I also know someone using the same mirror on a Ford Ranger and did use them on a Honda Pilot and is happy with them. Here is a US link:

https://www.amazon.com/Milenco-MIL-2...s%2C194&sr=8-1
I have been using the same mirrors with my FJ and now 4R since 2013. They work well.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 10:42 AM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I used the Milenco mirrors with both my RAV4 towing a 17, & Tacoma for both the 17, and for a short time, a 21. I liked the mirrors, very steady and easy to put on & off. The twin pack on Amazon provides 2 convex mirrors. I ordered a flat one from a site in England - I disliked the convex mirror on the driver's side. I've been told that a flat mirror is now available in the US, but don't know a source.
Old 03-04-2022, 10:55 AM   #9

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
This is the Grand Aero ( flat ) and the view, installed on my RAV4.
Attached Thumbnails
Milenco .jpg  
Old 03-04-2022, 12:34 PM   #10

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
We have used the same set of Milenco Grand Aeros on both the 2012 and 2018 Highlanders. Pulling both the 19 and now the 21 Escape. They are as good as new after 9 seasons of use and tens of thousands of miles towed. I take them off when I’m camped and put them back on when I’m ready to go on the road again.
Iowa Dave
Old 03-05-2022, 07:58 AM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I also have used the Milenco for 8 years. I had a neighbor buy a different mirror. He told me that they were just like mine, but less expensive and didn’t come with a carrying case. Both his flew off the car and broke. You get what you pay for. Pay a little less and you might not get what you need to do the job it was bought for.
Old 03-05-2022, 09:55 AM   #12

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark B1 View Post
I loved them on my Forester but they don't work well on the Ridgeline. I gave up finding mirrors that work- I'm legal without them but might try the door mount kind- I used to have those years ago.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 12:21 PM   #13

Mirrors on truck today since we are leaving soon. I put neoprene seat belt covers on the straps to help protect the paint. They are so tight, I don’t think it matters, but it seems like a good idea to me.
Attached Thumbnails
2D09D374-DDC5-41D1-B27E-DB41E36709EF.jpg   E6753E42-9448-4E6B-8A0B-F4190808F92B.jpg  
Old 03-05-2022, 02:21 PM   #14
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
if there was a factory tow mirror option for your generation truck, you can often find decent quality aftermarket replicas. My F250 is a 'first generation' Super DUty, and the 2nd or 3rd generation had much improved mirrors. the physical mounting is the same, but they changed the wiring connectors. Well, these https://www.1aauto.com/ford-driver-a...4/1111739/2002 were an exact fit, are the '2008' style mirrors with electric mirror control cables that fit my 2002. They come in different versions, my truck isn't wired for power fold or power telescope, so I got those above. they even have them with turn signals in the mirrors which wasn't a 2002 feature, but isn't that hard to add, if you so care.

here's the original on the left, and the new on the right...

the larger wide angle is priceless.

new drivers side mirror on the truck...

oh, these pull out about 4 more inches for towing. the lower wide angle section has to be manually aimed, but thats a do once and forget kinda thing. I can easily see around and behind my Escape 21 with them.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 03:41 PM   #15

Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacificc View Post
Hello, I have a 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L that I am using to tow a 21C. I have trailer breaking and plenty of power to go and stop.

PPROBLEM: I can't find any tow mirrors for it. I really need to be able to see around the sides since I am fairly new at backing a trailer. Doesn't hurt to have them in traffic either.

Any ideas for mirrors or different cameras welcome. Thank you in advance!
We have a 2017 Grand Cherokee. 2022 was a major redesign, but the 2021 appears to be the same basic model as ours. The issue I've found with our JGC is that the mirror housings are tapered. This causes most mirror's strap-on mounting systems to slide loose, as reported on various forums.

I purchased one towing mirror on the driver's side in September of 2020. It is a Fit System 3891 Deluxe Universal Clip-on Trailer Towing Mirror, sold on Amazon for about $32 today.

https://www.amazon.com/Fit-System-38...ct_top?ie=UTF8

Quote:
4.0 out of 5 stars Bungees May Be Required
Reviewed in the United States on November 12, 2021
Verified Purchase
These work on our 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee, but only because I have added bungee cords. This is because the factory mirror housing is tapered and these mirrors will otherwise fall off. Then, when the mirrors fold, the bungees get pinched, so I disable the automatic mirror parking.

That said, I am very satisfied with the mirror. It's slightly convex to increase your field of view and the vibration is minimal.
As noted in my product review there on Amazon, which I posted after a year-plus of ownership, I use two bungees to keep the towing mirror from slipping off the housing. Other than that, it's not terribly expensive, and it does the job, but having to disable the automated mirror parking is a minor nuisance.

That said, for a bit more money, people really seem to like the Milenco mirrors, and there's now a couple of reviews from Grand Cherokee owners who give the Milenco five stars, including someone with a 2015 JGC. So, for about $60 each, you can get a pair, apparently with no bungees required.

https://www.amazon.com/Milenco-MIL-2...d=8KO4XW7114N0

By the way, I am running a special offer this month; if you have a pair of the Milencos shipped to me, I will post a review right here on the forum!!!
Old 03-05-2022, 03:48 PM   #16

Trailer: 2021 Escape 21NE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
I loved them on my Forester but they don't work well on the Ridgeline. I gave up finding mirrors that work- I'm legal without them but might try the door mount kind- I used to have those years ago.
I purchased the grand aero 3 XXL from Amazon for our 2018 Pilot after Iowa Dave mentioned the Milenco mirrors in a post. Checking online, I see that the Milenco mirrors are also sold as Dometic Milenco, but Milenco still has its own website. I don’t believe that etrailer carries Milenco mirrors. The mirror clamps will fit on the top of the mirror cover if the glass mirror is adjusted (tipped) to allow enough space above the mirror for the clamp to slide on.

Here is the link to the mirrors I purchased:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ND4R4PN...roduct_details

We chose the 2018 Pilot over the 2019 Pilot when we were shopping in the summer of 2018 partially because of the passenger side camera. We like this feature better than the blind-spot alert. It is helpful for merging onto highways from left side on-ramps. I understand that some made-for-Europe vehicles including Lexus are using side cameras on the passenger and driver sides. The 2018 Pilot model we purchased also has halogen headlights as opposed to the LEDs found on 2019 versions. LEDs are more expensive to replace, and I’ve heard comments that halogen lights are better in snow. This video explains more about the camera, but it would seem that the camera in the video is on the driver side:

Any thoughts on halogen versus LED headlights?
DGLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 04:05 PM   #17

Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
if there was a factory tow mirror option for your generation truck, you can often find decent quality aftermarket replicas.
Good point. I did find a set for $680 from Clearview, though they are currently out of stock.

I was not able to locate any similar options back in 2020 when I was shopping. Perhaps sadly, I often keep notes in Excel when I shop for things .

You'd have to be careful to confirm if they have the heated mirror, setting and position memory, blindspot monitoring indicators, and all of whatever other nonsense, er options, you have on your vehicle.

https://www.clearviewmirrorsusa.com/...rand-cherokee/

Click image for larger version

Name:	Clearview Towing Mirrors 04.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	61176

Click image for larger version

Name:	Clearview Towing Mirrors 02.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	150.8 KB
ID:	61177
Old 03-05-2022, 05:21 PM   #18

Clear view is planning on releasing 2019+ Ford Ranger towing mirrors. Not sure yet if I will buy. They would be convenient, but expensive. What I have now works well.
Old 03-06-2022, 12:37 AM   #19
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
Good point. I did find a set for $680 from Clearview, though they are currently out of stock.

I was not able to locate any similar options back in 2020 when I was shopping. Perhaps sadly, I often keep notes in Excel when I shop for things .

You'd have to be careful to confirm if they have the heated mirror, setting and position memory, blindspot monitoring indicators, and all of whatever other nonsense, er options, you have on your vehicle.
yah, all that. thankfully, my '02 F250 *just* had electric mirror adjust, none of that other fuu-fuu stuff.

at some point, I'd weigh that stuff vs having good trailer mirrors, and maybe skip the auto folding etc kinda extra stuff in favor of manual telescoping/folding mirrors that were bigger/better.

you might see what 1AAuto.com has for your vehicle. I was clued into them by a Ford truck forum and am totally happy with what I got. What I wanted was back ordered for a few months, but when it came in I was able to order it, and it arrived promptly as seen in my previous pix here.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 06:56 AM   #20

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGLP View Post
I purchased the grand aero 3 XXL from Amazon for our 2018 Pilot after Iowa Dave mentioned the Milenco mirrors in a post. Checking online, I see that the Milenco mirrors are also sold as Dometic Milenco, but Milenco still has its own website. I don’t believe that etrailer carries Milenco mirrors. The mirror clamps will fit on the top of the mirror cover if the glass mirror is adjusted (tipped) to allow enough space above the mirror for the clamp to slide on.

Here is the link to the mirrors I purchased:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ND4R4PN...roduct_details

We chose the 2018 Pilot over the 2019 Pilot when we were shopping in the summer of 2018 partially because of the passenger side camera. We like this feature better than the blind-spot alert. It is helpful for merging onto highways from left side on-ramps. I understand that some made-for-Europe vehicles including Lexus are using side cameras on the passenger and driver sides. The 2018 Pilot model we purchased also has halogen headlights as opposed to the LEDs found on 2019 versions. LEDs are more expensive to replace, and I’ve heard comments that halogen lights are better in snow. This video explains more about the camera, but it would seem that the camera in the video is on the driver side:

Any thoughts on halogen versus LED headlights?
Found this discussion https://www.cars.com/articles/led-vs...e-diff-420551/