Tow Vehicle - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 05-10-2015, 03:02 PM   #1

Trailer: none
Smile Tow Vehicle

Can I have some opinions on Tow Vehicles.. I have a 2015 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab, with a tow package. It's a 6 cylinder and has a tow capacity of 6500 lbs. Do you guys think I can safely tow a 21' Escape, or even a 19' Escape in the mountains. Would you do it, or should I step up to a Tundra.. Thank you...
clindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 03:06 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by clindley View Post
Can I have some opinions on Tow Vehicles.. I have a 2015 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab, with a tow package. It's a 6 cylinder and has a tow capacity of 6500 lbs. Do you guys think I can safely tow a 21' Escape, or even a 19' Escape in the mountains. Would you do it, or should I step up to a Tundra.. Thank you...
Short answer, Yes. You can safely tow a 19 or 21 in the mountains with a Tacoma w/factory tow package. The numbers either work or they don't, and yours do.

Would a Tundra provide a better towing experience? Probably, but the Tacoma is a capable tow. My only caveat would be to keep an eye on your GVWR. The more stuff you put in the tow vehicle, the less you can tow. Then there's GCWR, which is "the maximum allowable combined weight of the towing vehicle, passengers and cargo in the tow vehicle, plus the weight of the trailer and cargo in the trailer." Don't exceed the limits, and I think you're fine. Both GVWR and GCWR are provided by the tow vehicle manufacturer.
Old 05-10-2015, 03:13 PM   #3

Thanks so much... I will be traveling solo, with a cap on the short bed.. The GVWR is 10,500 for the truck, and I'll be sure to stay under that... Thank you for the quick response.. Still not sure whether to order 19' or 21'. I will be traveling in it for very long periods of time.
Old 05-10-2015, 03:24 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks so much... I will be traveling solo, with a cap on the short bed.. The GVWR is 10,500 for the truck, and I'll be sure to stay under that... Thank you for the quick response.. Still not sure whether to order 19' or 21'. I will be traveling in it for very long periods of time.
Both the 19 and the 21 have their advantages. The 21 offers a bigger kitchen area, more storage, more width in the center aisle, and easy access to the bed for two people without having to crawl over. The 19 is smaller so it's a bit easier to back in and corner, weighs a bit less, and would probably give you a little better gas mileage when towing, but not a significant amount. Traveling solo, crawl over isn't a problem for you. We like the 19 because the bed is out of the way in the back, but this all comes down to what you like and need. If you think you'll eventually want something bigger, go with the 21 right off the bat. The disease of "two-foot-itis" (moving up two feet in size at a time) common here on the forum, has bitten several people. For us, the 19 is plenty big, and we wanted to stay closer to the idea of a "small" trailer. To each, his own.
Old 05-10-2015, 03:39 PM   #5

Thank you for all of the helpful info.. I agree that the 19' would be fine, especially since it's just me and the dog. I hope to live in it for 5 years, while I travel all over the US and Canada.. However, I just read that living in the Escape full time will not work, due to humidity, and needs time to dry out between trips.. I would hope if properly taken care of one could stay in the trailer as longs as they choose... Any opinion on going full time? I know several people that are doing it in a Casita. Thank you so much for your time rBryan..
Old 05-10-2015, 03:45 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
I just read that living in the Escape full time will not work, due to humidity, and needs time to dry out between trips.. I would hope if properly taken care of one could stay in the trailer as longs as they choose... Any opinion on going full time? I know several people that are doing it in a Casita. Thank you so much for your time rBryan..
You're more than welcome. Escape does state that the trailer is 'recreational' and not suitable for full time use, but you have to understand that manufacturers have to deal with warranty claims and other issues from owners who use the trailers improperly or for uses not originally intended, or who don't properly maintain the trailer. So, they make disclaimers. I would do the same, were I the manufacturer.

Having said that, there are plenty of folks who full time in all sorts of molded fiberglass trailers. They take precautions like adding dry mesh where upholstery hits the walls, using a dehumidifier, and keeping air circulating by using fans. It's also very important to keep the trailer clean. I'm not attempting to contradict the manufacturer recommendation, but take the proper steps and you CAN full time in a fiberglass trailer.
Old 05-10-2015, 03:56 PM   #7

Thank you for all the information and time today... Selling my home, and hitting the road for one last long adventure has been something I have decided to do... Trying to keep things simple, I thought the Tacoma and the Escape would do the trick... The only other trailers I have considered are the Casita and 19' Airstream Sport. The sport cost so much more, not really sure I need all the luxury that it offers.. I just want it to be practical and well made, like the Escape. The Casita will work, but I don't care for it's small size. Once again thank you for taking the time to give me your input. Take care my friend...
Old 05-10-2015, 04:18 PM   #8

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 "Sunny" , tow - Highlander XLE
Dry mesh where upholstery hits the walls

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
You're more than welcome. Escape does state that the trailer is 'recreational' and not suitable for full time use, but you have to understand that manufacturers have to deal with warranty claims and other issues from owners who use the trailers improperly or for uses not originally intended, or who don't properly maintain the trailer. So, they make disclaimers. I would do the same, were I the manufacturer.

Having said that, there are plenty of folks who full time in all sorts of molded fiberglass trailers. They take precautions like adding dry mesh where upholstery hits the walls, using a dehumidifier, and keeping air circulating by using fans. It's also very important to keep the trailer clean. I'm not attempting to contradict the manufacturer recommendation, but take the proper steps and you CAN full time in a fiberglass trailer.
Cary, what is dry mesh and where can I get it? Thanks
Cozy Rosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 04:21 PM   #9

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 "Sunny" , tow - Highlander XLE
Sorry Cary, I meant to ask rbryan the question.
Cozy Rosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 04:32 PM   #10

DryMesh™ is a three dimensional woven polyester mesh, designed to reduce moisture under mattresses and cushions. Made from 100% non-absorbent polyester, the unique 3D mesh allows air to circulate, eliminating condensation and mildew build up.

Both lightweight and flexible DryMesh can be easily cut to size and placed neatly under mattress or cushion.

Shop online for the fabric... I've never purchased it.
Old 05-10-2015, 09:40 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
Quote:
Let me offer my thoughts on your tow vehicle. Our 4Runner is somewhat similar to your Toyota, and having towed through mountains of New Mexico and Colorado the last few days I have concluded the vehicle can do it, but you have to manage your expectations. On some of the steepest grades I have had to gear down to first gear a few times, both up and down hill. I also tend to hold speeds to 55. If you want something to blast up and down every hill you get to, a six cylinder gas engine isn't enough. I plan to try everything I get to, but with caution and patience---retired, you know.
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 09:48 PM   #12
Site Team

Tow Vehicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill and Earline View Post
If you want something to blast up and down every hill you get to, a six cylinder gas engine isn't enough.

That depends on which 6 cylinder gas engine we're talking about. It's more a matter of horsepower, and the amount of torque at various rpms.

Our 2.7L Ecoboost V6 can indeed "blast up and down every hill we get to." Nowadays, it isn't all about displacement. Technological advances in turbocharging and engine design are breaking the old rules.
Old 05-10-2015, 10:22 PM   #13

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Our 2.7L Ecoboost V6 can indeed "blast up and down every hill we get to." Nowadays, it isn't all about displacement. Technological advances in turbocharging and engine design are breaking the old rules.
I agree, except that this isn't really a change. Supercharging (including turbocharging) has always been effectively a multiplier of displacement... it's just a lot more practical now than it has been.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 10:24 PM   #14

Quote:
That depends on which 6 cylinder gas engine we're talking about. It's more a matter of horsepower, and the amount of torque at various rpms.

I have a 4.OL V6 automatic 5 speed.. With the V6 Tow pkg.. Everything I have read says it will do just fine, but while driving in the mountains I will need to take it slow and easy, especially when going down a steep grade. This is something I will need to learn to do, but how does one practice when you live on flat land.. :-(
Old 05-10-2015, 10:43 PM   #15
Site Team

Tow Vehicle

Quote:
I have a 4.OL V6 automatic 5 speed.. With the V6 Tow pkg.. Everything I have read says it will do just fine, but while driving in the mountains I will need to take it slow and easy, especially when going down a steep grade. This is something I will need to learn to do, but how does one practice when you live on flat land.. :-(

Well, there's no substitute for experience. You get better at it the more you do it. Don't sweat it. I think your plan to take it easy until you have more experience with it is a good one. I really enjoyed the 'take it easy' approach on our first trip. No stress, watching others pass us, and knowing we were in no hurry and saving gas to boot. It was a different mindset than I've ever had while driving. Interestingly, it kind of rubbed off on my driving after the trip was over and I wasn't towing.
Old 05-11-2015, 01:21 AM   #16

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Our Ford Flex non turbo V6 is rated at 270HP at 5600RPM. We can maintain 55MPH on the long grades we have here in the western mountains. This is done in third gear at 4000RPM. (6 speed transmission)
Old 05-11-2015, 06:09 AM   #17

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Hi: clindley... Sorry I only have a few pic's of towing in the mountains. Our Nissan Frontier is a 4ltr. V6 5spd Auto and I'm glad we didn't step up to a bigger truck for towing!!!
Slow and easy is good, once the feeling like your going backwards goes away. So what if the rest of the world is in such a hurry they want past. Take time to enjoy the scenery!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1030685.jpg   P1030700.jpg   P1030735.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 06:43 AM   #18

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Cary,
As others have mentioned your Tacoma will work so why not try it and then decide later. The nice thing about fiberglass trailers is that you may go through several tow vehicles as the trailers last so long. The 19 vs 21 choice, another issue. I had a 19 Escape and upgraded to the 21' model. Find there is less humidity in the 21' since the bed is only on 2 exterior walls vs 3. with the mesh and having the mattress cut smaller that allows air around the 2 exterior walls, condensation is non-existent. Perhaps the 19 with a 6" smaller mattress may give you the same result? I also suggest you tour a 19 and a 21 model and then decide. Contact ETI for contacts of units near you.
Old 05-11-2015, 07:36 AM   #19

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
Quote:

I guess I was limiting my thoughts to the current naturally aspirated Toyota offerings that the poster had asked about. I am looking forward to hearing everything about the Ford 2.7 and 3.5 Ecoboost results, as well as the Ram EcoDiesel, all of which must be a joy to tow with. I almost bought a Ram Eco last November but decided to try my current Toyota until I could confer with other Escpape owners, especially those who have pulled 21s in the mountains on some of the steeper grades.
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 09:15 AM   #20

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
I have a 4.OL V6 automatic 5 speed.. With the V6 Tow pkg..
I have an extended cab Tacoma with the same drivetrain and tow package as yours. It pulls my Escape 21 very well. I have to say on one steep mountain road I had to slow down quite a bit, but the speed limit there was 25 MPH anyway. Overall I think you will be happy using the Tacoma as your tow vehicle.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote