Tow vehicle bed cover options - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-29-2022, 11:36 AM   #1

Trailer: Past time to update- canceled my 5.0 ��
Tow vehicle bed cover options

Hi all! Not a question specifically regarding the trailer per se, but a more regarding your 5.0 tow vehicle. I am wondering if anyone has experience with the hard folding and locking tonneau covers? I most likely will be using the Andersen hitch and would like to be able to cover and lock my bed when not actively towing. What works for you and what doesn’t work in your experience? What are the pros and cons to this type of bed cover? Is there some other system that works better for you? I don’t even have a truck at this point since I’m still rambling around in a camper van until my trailer is complete, so it doesn’t have to be model specific. Thanks in advance!
Deva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 11:49 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 5.0
My short bed Silverado had a tri-fold cover which didn't give enough clearance for the hitch, so I had to replace it once I got my 5.0. I ended up with the Pace Edwards Switchblade which is a retractable style, and I love it! Works great so far with plenty of clearance and secure when I need it to be...
Attached Thumbnails
PXL_20210413_233841786.jpg   PXL_20210413_233908084.jpg  
Old 03-29-2022, 12:05 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeJoe View Post
My short bed Silverado had a tri-fold cover which didn't give enough clearance for the hitch, so I had to replace it once I got my 5.0. I ended up with the Pace Edwards Switchblade which is a retractable style, and I love it! Works great so far with plenty of clearance and secure when I need it to be...
Exactly the kind of thing I need to know! I’m also leaning towards a Silverado, so this is perfect! When you ARE towing and have the bed folded up to clear the hitch, can it be locked in that position? I’m assuming (never a good idea) that there must be some way to secure it the folded position so it’s not bouncing around back there. Any problem with the hitch/camper clearing it in the folded position when you do a hard turn?

Oh wait! Looking closely at the photos, it’s seems to be very low profile…does it retract into that first section, like a window blind?
Old 03-29-2022, 12:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deva View Post
Oh wait! Looking closely at the photos, it’s seems to be very low profile…does it retract into that first section, like a window blind?
Exactly, it retracts into that cassette unit which hangs below. More info and videos on it here:
https://www.etrailer.com/Tonneau-Cov...SWCA27A58.html
Old 03-29-2022, 12:37 PM   #5

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0ta
I have the Extang Solid Fold 2 cover and it works well in my setup.
The cover is easy to install or remove from the bed. Only taking a few minutes.
Mine has never leaked and since it attaches from inside the box your contents are secure when the tailgate is closed and locked.

Note; I do not have the Andersen hitch. With my hitch I only need to raise the trailer pin as high as the hitch coupler then back up to the trailer until the pin locks into the coupler. The whole hitching process takes place below the level of the tonneau cover.

With the Andersen you need to raise the trailer pin high enough to back the hitch under the trailer pin then lower onto the hitch ball. This process may or may not interfere with the tonneau cover.
Attached Thumbnails
tonneau.jpg  
nepaweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 12:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepaweb View Post
Note; I do not have the Andersen hitch. With my hitch I only need to raise the trailer pin as high as the hitch coupler then back up to the trailer until the pin locks into the coupler. The whole hitching process takes place below the level of the tonneau cover.

With the Andersen you need to raise the trailer pin high enough to back the hitch under the trailer pin then lower onto the hitch ball. This process may or may not interfere with the tonneau cover.
That's a great point...my tri-fold would have worked if not for the Andersen requiring me to drop onto the ball from above during the hitch process, see attached pic. If the pin box was lower it could easily slide into the ball, but I could not go any further with it raised. I know there are some folding covers that give more clearance in that regard, but mine just did not.
Attached Thumbnails
PXL_20210405_231210401.jpg  
Old 03-29-2022, 01:44 PM   #7

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA 'Liberty'
Our tow is a 2016 F150 XLT with the 6.5' bed.
We chose the Trifecta 2.0 three piece folding cover and it works well for us. The Andersen ball is about 5" below the height of the cover. When the cover is folded against the cab there are 2 snap lock straps to hold it in place.

https://extang.com/trifecta-2-0

We did not buy from Extang, but a local Truck Logic.
HarleyD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 02:53 PM   #8

You folks are the bomb! I definitely want a hard cover. Too easy to slash a soft cover to access bed contents. While nothing is 100% thief proof, a hard top would require more work to get into. Now, just to mix it up a bit, are there hard top tonneau covers that allow for a truck bed box? If I have a low profile box in the back, is it possible to have the tonneau cover that extends from the box to the tailgate? So that, should I not be towing, have the tonneau cover extended and locked, but still be able to access a truck bed tool box…Hope that makes sense… basically, the tonneau covers the exposed bed but not the tool box.
Old 03-29-2022, 05:26 PM   #9

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
Tonneau Mate and roll-up tonneau

We have a 2019 F150 SuperCab and 6.5 ft bed with the Andersen rail mount hitch . We chose to install a Truxedo roll-up tonneau paired with the Truxedo TonneauMate lockable tool box: https://www.etrailer.com/Truck-Tool-...TX1117416.html

We find this combination very flexible. The equipment we keep in the tool box is locked whether we are towing or not. The toolbox is suspended above the floor of the bed allowing use of the full length of the bed with a limited height. We also have a lockable pin connecting the Andersen to the rails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210417_193942045.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	342.6 KB
ID:	61716

Typically we keep the tonneau cover extended and the tailgate locked when we are not towing.
Old 03-29-2022, 05:47 PM   #10

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeJoe View Post
... I ended up with the Pace Edwards Switchblade which is a retractable style, and I love it! Works great so far with plenty of clearance and secure when I need it to be...
This sort of retractable-rigid tonneau is the only type that's ever even remotely piqued my interest. I'd have to forfeit the (smaller than average at only 13" front-to-back) cross-bed toolbox I like but could probably work-out something that would fit under that canister to meet my wants / needs.

Your pics are another incentive to look closely at this alternative when my new F150 (eventually) arrives - thanks for sharing!
Old 03-29-2022, 05:53 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bristol5.0 View Post
We have a 2019 F150 SuperCab and 6.5 ft bed with the Andersen rail mount hitch . We chose to install a Truxedo roll-up tonneau paired with the Truxedo TonneauMate lockable tool box: https://www.etrailer.com/Truck-Tool-...TX1117416.html
Nice set-up! I’ve been doing a bit of googling and finding that there are many options available. I really like those retractable bedcovers, and they seem quite durable and resistant to hooligans. I’m thinking of skipping the tool box altogether. The 5.0 seems to have a good bit of outside accessible storage for things like drill, tools, elbow for the tank emptying thingamajig, etc. I’m a bit paranoid about keeping “dirty” equipment anywhere near tank fills, hose, water outlets. Cross contamination is easy and it’s best to keep “clean” and “dirty” complete separate. Was thinking of keeping a dedicated “dirty” compartment in the truck bed, but I may have to rethink that. Thanks for these suggestions and photos. There are more choices than I was expecting. ����
Old 03-29-2022, 11:00 PM   #12

Trailer: 5.0 escape
hard tonneau cover dodge ram 6 4 bed

Wow great question and replies

we have a 5.0 on order and a dodge ram 1500 on order. We know we want a hard tonneau cover. Recommendations on a hitch and tonneau cover set up that would work for this set up and enable us to fold up the tonneau and store it out of way of the hitch while in use?
thanks! this forum is such a gift!
tedtucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 10:23 AM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedtucci View Post
Wow great question and replies

we have a 5.0 on order and a dodge ram 1500 on order. We know we want a hard tonneau cover. Recommendations on a hitch and tonneau cover set up that would work for this set up and enable us to fold up the tonneau and store it out of way of the hitch while in use?
thanks! this forum is such a gift!
Hi: tedtucci... We have a 2014 5.0TA and a 2016 Ram EcoD., 5'7" box. We have a tri-fold soft tonneau and have never had it slashed. It stays on the truck at all times. It's an open and shut case!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1050393.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote