Tow Vehicle Insight - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-29-2021, 07:39 AM   #1

Trailer: Looking to Buy
Tow Vehicle Insight

We are in the waiting queue and expect a 5.0 in the fall. Beginning to research tow vehicles. Who can provide insight in the following configuration? Ford F-150, SuperCrew, 4x4, 2.7L EcoBoost, 3.55 rear end, GVWR #6600, Payload #1540. Can any 5.0 owner comment on pulling the 5.0 with the 2.7L Ecoboost? Secondly, what is the consequence of a 3.55 axle over a 3.42 axle.
JStaub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 09:49 AM   #2

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
You'll find many threads with information you're looking for. We have a 2015 F150 with the 2.7 l. engine and have pulled both single axle 5.0 and now our 5.0TA and are very happy with the performance. It's our only vehicle now so like the fact the non-towing mileage is reasonable for a pickup. Of course with Covid our trips are curtailed, have only put 5000 km on the truck in nearly seven months.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 12:10 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
You'll find many threads with information you're looking for. We have a 2015 F150 with the 2.7 l. engine and have pulled both single axle 5.0 and now our 5.0TA and are very happy with the performance. It's our only vehicle now so like the fact the non-towing mileage is reasonable for a pickup. Of course with Covid our trips are curtailed, have only put 5000 km on the truck in nearly seven months.
I will second that. My 2015 which was fried by EMP from a nearby lightning strike had a 2.7 liter EB and it pulled the 5.0TA easily. It would accelerate going uphill. But my replacement is a 3.5 liter EB because I like the extra but unnecessary power it provides. Both had 3.55 rear ends. Both were 2 WD with electronically locking differential. I have locked it only twice when I thought it might help. While not 4 WD, it has met my needs on those two occasions. Living where it doesn’t snow and since I do not want to camp when the temps drop below Tee-shirt comfort, I don’t have a need for 4 WD, it’s added insurance costs and slightly reduced fuel efficiency. If I still lived in New England, as I once did, I would have 4 WD.