Tow Vehicle Tires - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 01-13-2013, 04:26 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Tow Vehicle Tires

It is time to put new tires on the Sienna.

Most of the tires have a load rating of 98 (1653 lbs), but one model (the Bridgestone Dueler H/L 422 Ecopia) have a load index of 102 (1874 lbs). Since a lot of our miles are towing the 17b, I wonder if it would be worthwhile to go with the higher load rating tires. When we weighed our rig last summer, TV axle weights were about 2800-2900 lbs. The cost difference is pretty significant -- almost $100 per tire as compared to the Firestone Affinity Touring tires that are on sale at my local Firestone dealer. But if the tires would last longer and and be safer, I wouldn't mind spending the extra dollars.

Any thoughts about whether it worth getting tires with a higher load rating?

Thanks much
LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:07 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
I have always replaced vehicle tires with the exact same tires. Not sure if this is the best logic but I believe the manufacturers spend quite a bit of research as to what tires give the best results. I would guess their emphasis would be on handling and performance with longevity low on the list. That said, I can think there are times to switch brands and models but I have not found a compelling reason with my vehicles.

Unless you are full timing I would think towing would only make up 25% of your driving, at least that is my personal estimate. Your mileage may vary. My point is, it may not be that much of a gain when looking at total miles driven.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:40 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I have to agree, having replaced the Firestone's on my Explorer ( under the recall ) with Yokohama Geolander LT tires, believing that I would get fewer flats driving to the Skagit River. Cost me extra, and the tire dealer had to fudge the paperwork since they were supposed to replace with passenger tires only.
After not that many miles I found myself with more road noise than I could endure. I replaced them again, somewhat prematurely, because I just couldn't take the noise.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:01 PM   #4

Trailer: No more Escape 21
What year is the Sienna as each generation of Sienna has different requirements? You may want to check out the Sienna section on this forum for other user's feedback: Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

I have a Toyota Highlander. The newer Highlanders has a weird tire size (P245/55R19) which limits what's available. I just put on the Ecopias and am very pleased with the ride, noise and wet weather handling.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:43 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonW View Post
It is time to put new tires on the Sienna.

Most of the tires have a load rating of 98 (1653 lbs), but one model (the Bridgestone Dueler H/L 422 Ecopia) have a load index of 102 (1874 lbs). Since a lot of our miles are towing the 17b, I wonder if it would be worthwhile to go with the higher load rating tires. When we weighed our rig last summer, TV axle weights were about 2800-2900 lbs. The cost difference is pretty significant -- almost $100 per tire as compared to the Firestone Affinity Touring tires that are on sale at my local Firestone dealer. But if the tires would last longer and and be safer, I wouldn't mind spending the extra dollars.

Any thoughts about whether it worth getting tires with a higher load rating?

Thanks much
Hi: LeonW... I have had great success with Toyo tires as replacements. They are very highly rated and as good as Michelin for less. I don't know about weight rates or size avail. for your tug tho. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:32 PM   #6

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
Just a little info about the tires that most vehicles come from the factory with. They are put out to tender as with most things in buisness and the lowest price wins. thats why you will see many different tire companys used by the same car company. Often the the tire from the factory is built to a price for the contract and can't even be matched exactly. Look at the michelin ltx at2 on a 2012 gmc 3/4 ton and then look at the ones in a tire shop , they are very different.
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:36 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
I am sure they are bid out, that is the proper method to purchase. At the same time they do put some specifications on those requests. They do not want the least expensive tires, they want the least expensive that meet their specifications. Car manufacturers and tire companies want you to have the best experience possible, the tire they choose will be apart of their overall goal, make your purchase a pleasurable one and for you to return and purchase another vehicle.

Now that said, there are compromises. They cannot pick the best tire for the dessert and snow. You may live in a geographical area that warrants a different tire, or you may not be happy with their choice in rainy conditions. In those cases shop for another tire. If you are happy with what you got why not purchase the same?
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:59 PM   #8

Certainly specs are issued to prospective bidders but that being said price is a large factor, I have changed alot of tires under warranty that were just poor quality tires and not the right choice regardless of geographical area.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:24 PM   #9

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Tires, like everything else, are a compromise. The compromise chosen by the vehicle manufacturer is often not what the owner would chose, so the best replacement tire for you is often not a duplicate of the original equipment... if you can even buy such a duplicate.

Another useful forum for Sienna owners is SiennaChat.com. There, tire discussions seem to indicate that most owners prefer tires other than the original equipment. As I mentioned in that forum, I chose to put the new Michelin Defender (in size 225/60R17) tires on mine this summer, and I use Nokian Hakkapellita R (216/65R16 XL) in winter.

The stock size and type of tire are adequate for the axle capacity of the Sienna. Don't expect to be able to carry more, just because the tires have more capacity.

All tires of the same type (e.g. "passenger vehicle" tires with size designation starting with "P") and the same size (e.g. 225/60R17 for all 2004-2010 Siennas above the base model) have the same capacity unless they are an "Extra Load" version; it's not really a matter of brand.

What year is this Sienna, and what size is being used?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonW View Post
Most of the tires have a load rating of 98 (1653 lbs), but one model (the Bridgestone Dueler H/L 422 Ecopia) have a load index of 102 (1874 lbs). Since a lot of our miles are towing the 17b, I wonder if it would be worthwhile to go with the higher load rating tires. When we weighed our rig last summer, TV axle weights were about 2800-2900 lbs.
Although that sounds like more than enough tire capacity, passenger car tires must be derated by a factor of 1.1 when used on vans (and trucks, and trailers...), so if those tires with a rated capacity of 1653 lb are "P" tires, the are actually only good for
1653 / 1.1 = 1503 pounds each, or 3006 pounds for the axle if evenly distributed left-to-right.

If it is a 2004-2010, 2800-2900 pounds is right at the axle capacity. What does the sticker on the edge or jamb of the driver's door say the Gross Axle Weight Rating (GAWR) for the rear axle is?
Old 01-16-2013, 12:48 PM   #11

I put a set of michelin defenders on my montana van last summer and have been very pleased so far, ride quality is very good. I have winter tires on our other two vehicles and the defenders are obviously not as good as those but still do very well in winter conditions, I would think these would be a suitable tire for a sienna.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:31 PM   #12

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
I bought Nokians for a previous vehicle. They are great tires. The Finns have been making tires suited to snow and ice for many decades and they know what they're doing. Good tires for Minnesota. I had to go to another town to get them because they were being sold few places at the time.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:46 AM   #13

Trailer: Escape
Product & Services | Ratings & Reviews - Consumer Reports
Use the tire size for your vehicle recommended by the manufacturer. The specification sheet is usually afixed to the drivers door jam
Jubal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:31 PM   #14

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
Just to share my preference -- I've been running on Michelins for over 15 years on both vehicles. I get great mileage (average over 70k mi./set) and they have terrific traction in bad conditions. Check Consumer Reports tire reviews. And, no one consistently beats Costco's prices.

Bruce
Bruce Wray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:01 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Wray View Post
And, no one consistently beats Costco's prices.
I bought my Defenders at Costco, but I learned at that time that while most Michelin distributors carry the Defender, Costco carries the Defender XT, which differs at least in tread pattern. They were less expensive than my preferred local tire store, but direct comparisons can be difficult.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:11 PM   #16

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Ah, yes.
My brother in law sells BBQs as well as other home heating, pools etc.
He told me that the BBQ that you see at Home Depot or another big box store may look identical to the same name brand BBQ that he sells, but many parts are swapped out for lesser quality, cheaper parts. That's one way that the big box store achieves "low, low prices" and "roll-back".
Old 01-18-2013, 09:25 AM   #17

I don't know for sure, but I have heard that most of cosco tires are factory seconds with slight cosmetic flaws.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:58 AM   #18

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Comparable situation is clothing at the "Outlet Stores". It's not the same that you'd find in a more upscale store, although they are often difficult to differentiate. Fewer thread count, less quality seam work, cheaper buttons, you name it, they'll find a way to skimp to make it cheaper.

I spend a lot at Costco, but I won't buy tires from them, preferring to go with the local tire business here in town instead. I've never felt that I had to worry about buying seconds, or being upsold beyond the immediate needs of the vehicle I was outfitting, or being offered the tire du jour because they just got a good deal somewhere.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:57 PM   #19

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I put a set of Michelin Latitude X-Ice Xi2's on my RAV4 for the winter, and the difference between them & the original Bridgestone Run Flat tires, both ride comfort & drivability in snow is night & day. In fact, they ride better than the Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max tires I now use for the summer.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:07 PM   #20

Trailer: 2009 17B - Escape Pod
I just bought two sets of Nokian WRG2s, one for the Highlander, and another for my wife's Honda Fit. We live in Northern Alberta, with cold temperatures and lots of snow. Our police department did a big study to see which tires would be best, and the WRG2 came out on top. They are switching all their patrol cars to these. This tire is described as the closest thing there is to a true all season tire. It is more of a winter tire that is also ok for summer than it is a summer tire that is ok for winter. In the tests that the police department conducted the WRG2 stopped faster on ice than some dedicated winter tires. In Canada the Nokian's are available from Kal Tire. After that testimony I think I deserve a commission!
ddevin is offline   Reply With Quote