Tow vehicles???? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 10-03-2009, 01:17 AM   #1

Tow vehicles????

Hi Just got back from a trip to BC interior and on Mon I will know if I've bought my Escape. If successful I will post the details for the circumstances are very amazing. Dont want to count my chickens till its done.
Anyhoooooo here's my question and I'm sure its been answered a million times,,You know it,,,,what is an appropriate vehicle to tow a 17 foot escape,,,,,,I have a small pick up which is rated to 3000lbs,,I saw Reace and Tammy's Frontier this week and its rated to 6000lbs or maybe 6500lbs. A friend tells me he tows with a Honda Oddysie (sp)
Thanks for your help.
Gordon

PS Saw Grasshopper waiting for its new owners,,,what a beauty,,,nice shade of green. Happy trails
Old 10-03-2009, 02:33 AM   #2

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape
Re: Tow vehicles????

We tow with a Ford Escape rated to tow 3,500 lbs..
(2 adults and a fair amount of stuff including bikes and I think we are at 2,700 Lbs)
We use the WDH and NO issues at all.
Tows very well....
Old 10-03-2009, 05:03 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

Just about any mid-sized SUV with a V6 will provide ample power to put the 17. It really comes down to finding what you like best in your price range and making sure that you have plenty of towing capacity. If you use a vehicle that is rated at, or near, what you intend to pull, you will have issues with steep hills, passing and the such.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 12:58 PM   #4

We pulled with our 2008 Highlander.. I think the big issue is what the car/SUV is rated for tounge weight as I agree with Jim most V6 will be able to pull it.. When we purchased ours we brought our Highlander up to Chilliwack and Reace hooked it up the 17 ft and checked out the back-end of the car at which time we decided to purchase a WDH from Escape.. which we did Reace set it up and it worked out perfectly..

favorite quote: "Put the candle back"
JeffZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 10:12 PM   #5

The Oddysey is front-wheel-drive, which is not ideal for towing. If you want a minivan, consider the V6 AWD version of the Toyota Sienna.

My V6 AWD RAV4 does a fine job, including the Salmo-Creston pass.

2009 17' Plan B
ronstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 10:59 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

"My V6 AWD RAV4 does a fine job, including the Salmo-Creston pass."

Ditto. And the Coquihalla. Seventeen kilometers up hill. Dropped to 80 kph on the steepest part, only because I didn't want to burn the gas. Held 90 kph ( 56 mph ) most of the way.

And, there is a very short on-ramp from the rest stop just west of Abbotsford. I'm doing 110 kph to merge with traffic, no sweat. No anxiety about what to do when the ramp runs out and the concrete barrier approaches. The RAV can do.

baglo
Old 10-04-2009, 08:46 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moeniac
Hi Just got back from a trip to BC interior and on Mon I will know if I've bought my Escape. If successful I will post the details for the circumstances are very amazing. Dont want to count my chickens till its done.
Anyhoooooo here's my question and I'm sure its been answered a million times,,You know it,,,,what is an appropriate vehicle to tow a 17 foot escape,,,,,,I have a small pick up which is rated to 3000lbs,,I saw Reace and Tammy's Frontier this week and its rated to 6000lbs or maybe 6500lbs. A friend tells me he tows with a Honda Oddysie (sp)
Thanks for your help.
Gordon

PS Saw Grasshopper waiting for its new owners,,,what a beauty,,,nice shade of green. Happy trails
I purposefully did not read all the replies so I can see if what I say fits others thoughts.
I am not an old time travel trailer guy... maybe five years now... before that I had boats in the 60s and 70s.
But I think from what I have learned that there is no perfect combination.. or at least there is a tremedouns amount of flexibility surrounding "perfect"
You can safely pull a big 19 with a front wheel drive mini-van if you hook up properly (wdh /sway bar)
You can add another degree of safety and comfort by increasing the weight ratio to favor the TV.. like pulling a 17 with an F250.
You can, if you want, pull a 13ft scamp with a mini cooper though

I don't think there is a perfect answer.

Ok.. let's see hwo I did
Old 10-04-2009, 09:33 AM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: All...Perfection is in the eye of the "Beer Holder". Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 10:16 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronstew
The Oddysey is front-wheel-drive, which is not ideal for towing. If you want a minivan, consider the V6 AWD version of the Toyota Sienna.

My V6 AWD RAV4 does a fine job, including the Salmo-Creston pass.
I have to disagree with front wheel drive vehicle being 'not ideal'. The Odyssey, and my Pilot as well, make great tow vehicles. My Pilot is a Touring model, which is designed for towing. If you do not overdo the hitch weight there is no problem with any front wheel drive, they are designed to handle it. Heck, I don't even need a WDH like many who use a rear wheel drive do.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 10-04-2009, 10:19 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist
Hi: All...Perfection is in the eye of the "Beer Holder". Alf
Great quote.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:07 PM   #11

I have a 2009 tacoma ext.cab, v6, auto, 4wd, w/tow pkg. I'll be picking up a 17b and trailing it to Helena, mt in about 3 weeks. My question is do I really need a wdh and/or a break controller? Do any of you have this particular setup, and if so what are your experiences? Thank you all for this great forum.....Ron

RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:19 PM   #12

Ron, you definitely should get a brake controller. I use a Tekonsha P3, and others use their Prodigy, these seem to be the two most common ones. Whether or not you need a WDH is dependent upon your individual setup. You could try it out and see. Escape sells them should you figure you need one once you get there.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:38 PM   #13

Not absolutely sure but I think trailer brakes are required in some states... over a certain size.
In fact if the trailer you are towing is outfitted with them you wont be able to tow becasue the brakes will be locked on... again, I think
Old 10-05-2009, 01:46 PM   #14

Electric trailer brakes of 'off' by default, and engage with added current.
Air brakes, like the big rigs use, are as you say and are off unless pressured up.
I think.
Old 10-05-2009, 02:02 PM   #15
MandM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonS
I have a 2009 tacoma ext.cab, v6, auto, 4wd, w/tow pkg. I'll be picking up a 17b and trailing it to Helena, mt in about 3 weeks. My question is do I really need a wdh and/or a break controller? Do any of you have this particular setup, and if so what are your experiences? Thank you all for this great forum.....Ron

Hi Ron
I have an '08 Tacoma and the owner's manual recommends the use of a WDH.
Old 10-05-2009, 05:43 PM   #16

Trailer: '07 17B

I'm towing with a 2007 FJ Cruiser, which is built on a Tacoma frame. Same V6 etc... It tows my 17B no problem, i hardly notice it's there! No WDH, but i've got the brake controller, which is appreciated on those steeper hills (some were 14% this summer). I think you should be fine, but you will know after you get home with it for sure! Happy travels, Gary
GaryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 07:00 PM   #17

Thanks guys for your input. I'll be looking into purchasing a brake controller tomorrow. I'm still unsure about the WDH though. If it's a safety issue I would not hesitate for a moment. Since I'll be experiencing rain and more than likely snow conditions on the 750 mile trip home I'm unsure if a WDH will be helpful or a hindrance....Ron
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 07:09 PM   #18

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandM
Quote:

Hi Ron
I have an '08 Tacoma and the owner's manual recommends the use of a WDH.
Hi Ron

I also have a 07 Tacoma and have towed with and without the WDH.
The WDH makes a fair difference, the vehicle doesn't porpoise when its used.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:49 PM   #19

Quote:
My question is do I really need a wdh and/or a brake controller?
Jim and I may argue over the relative merits of WDHs and front-wheel-drive. But we absolutely agree on the need for a brake controller. With trailers this heavy, given typical tow vehicles, the trailer brakes are an essential safety feature. Stopping is good. Control under braking is good. Managing the wear one your TV brakes is a nice benefit, too.

2009 17' Plan B
ronstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 07:37 AM   #20

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: All... Never really thought much about trailer brakes or controllers till we went to Letchworth St. Pk. in N.Y. In Warsaw N.Y. I could have lit up a smoke without flickin' a Bic on the trailer brakes. A 15% grade with a stop sign at the bottom!!! YEE HAW!!! Welcome to Warsaw. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote