Towing 17B - Page 9 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2015, 06:18 PM   #161

Trailer: not yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOleMan View Post
I picked up my 17B today and according to ETI's “Certificate of Origin For A Trailer” it weighed in at 2725 lbs, that's with all the additions such as A/C, Solar, thermal window & extra insulation, etc,etc. The dual propane tanks are filled but there is no water in the tanks.

(Oh - can I say it towed like a dream?)
Now that's a real world number, present time with present options and build. Thanks for sharing!
LeonardS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 06:22 PM   #162

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
"I picked up my 17B today". Congratulations Pat!! Where you camping first?
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 06:24 PM   #163

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
Congratulations! Nice to see another West Coast 17B.
Old 02-04-2015, 06:50 PM   #164
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
I picked up my 17B today and according to ETI's “Certificate of Origin For A Trailer” it weighed in at 2725 lbs, that's with all the additions such as A/C, Solar, thermal window & extra insulation, etc,etc. The dual propane tanks are filled but there is no water in the tanks.

That's great Pat! Congrats on taking delivery. And yes, you can say whatever you like on such a fine day.
Old 02-04-2015, 07:01 PM   #165

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape
Love how our 17B tows behind our older Ford Escape (2006 Ford) I know we weighed it before the rally last year--loaded for a two week trip and all the additions since we bought it--was under 2,900 lbs.
The Ford did have the towing package but had the smaller hitch--so we still had to get another hitch put in place--the original small one is where our breakaway cable is attached to.

Have been to Yosemite and Yellowstone and multiple high passes---even Anarachist Mountain out of Osoyoos is a loooong climb. And nice as an every day vehicle too...But it is getting up therein miles..
Old 02-04-2015, 07:19 PM   #166

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Quote:

Pat, it just seems like yesterday that you were working on your build sheet. That is how fast this time is flying by. We have time to putter with ours yet but blink and we will be there. Enjoy your new trailer. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 08:18 PM   #167

Trailer: 2015 17B Sold 5/2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
"I picked up my 17B today". Congratulations Pat!! Where you camping first?
The first will be close to home, probably Ocean Shores, WA. next week. Of course, just like today, will be a little damp, but Gonzo th' Dawg and I will have "Escaping Reality" to keep us warm and dry in the evening.
2012 4Runner
OneOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 08:24 PM   #168

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by amirie View Post
Love how our 17B tows behind our older Ford Escape (2006 Ford) I know we weighed it before the rally last year--loaded for a two week trip and all the additions since we bought it--was under 2,900 lbs.
The Ford did have the towing package but had the smaller hitch--so we still had to get another hitch put in place--the original small one is where our breakaway cable is attached to.

Have been to Yosemite and Yellowstone and multiple high passes---even Anarachist Mountain out of Osoyoos is a loooong climb. And nice as an every day vehicle too...But it is getting up therein miles..
Anna-Marie,
You might want to look at Escapes before you get a new TV. You just might want a newer Escape with it....
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 08:51 PM   #169

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by amirie View Post
The Ford did have the towing package but had the smaller hitch--so we still had to get another hitch put in place...
Since the "small" (presumably 1.25" square receiver opening) hitch has enough capacity for the trailer, the reason for an aftermarket hitch was primarily to get a 2" square receiver opening to use a weight-distributing hitch (WDH). Those not using a WDH don't need to install a different receiver to tow the Escape 17'.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 09:36 AM   #170

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B - 2009 Chevy Tahoe Hybrid
Yes, I have, Dave, and it's been wonderful--I really appreciate your advice as well!!!
Although things could change, I've pretty much decided on a Toyota RAV4 6 cyl. This is mainly because of all the positive reports from those who are towing with one and also because of its small size for when I am unhitched. Am going to Mexico for a month and a half and will begin a serious search in April when I return. Thanks so much!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave & Penny Smith View Post
Ellen:
By now you've obviously gotten many opinions and much advice. . . I would suggest buying a vehicle that meets your everyday needs while being sure that it has adequate towing capacity to comfortably (and safely) tow the 17B.
Dave
Old 02-05-2015, 09:41 AM   #171

Trailer: 17b
EDarby, you might want to read a thread over on the FiberglassRV forum before you buy that RAV4.
Escape While You Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 09:57 AM   #172

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escape While You Can View Post
EDarby, you might want to read a thread over on the FiberglassRV forum before you buy that RAV4.
Here is the link RAV4 problems, need new TV - Fiberglass RV
Old 02-05-2015, 10:03 AM   #173

I have a Toyota FJ and have been a loyal Toyota fan for years. After reading that thread, I don't think I'll be buying any more Toyotas. There is more to the story - I've had my antilock brakes seize up on me several times now and the dealer says there's nothing wrong. I've put almost 160k miles on it, so I do know how the brakes work in general. But the few times they seized, it was a hair-raising experience. I'm looking to get a new tow vehicle myself. Sorry about the thread derail.
Old 02-05-2015, 10:55 AM   #174

Trailer: 2014 5TA/ *012 17B (previous)
I towed a 17b with a RAV4 and felt it was borderline, I think much of towing, is your own "comfortable-ness". I towed lots of miles, but I would go for something with a longer wheelbase- a Honda pilot, or Toyota highlander. We had to be carefull with weight as well, it's nice to have extra capacity, not always working on the edge.
'Have No Regrets'
Chapitre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 10:56 AM   #175

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I have no issues with my RAV4 that haven't been addressed by Toyota and I would buy another. All my other choices have their own set of problems and if you look, you will find threads full of dire warnings.
One of the posts in that thread points to a 2011 Corolla having the same issue and a recall. In fact the recall was years old and to do with the original "unintended acceleration".
Unfortunately, the web is full of "I heard" posts that are based on nothing. I am waiting for further developments on the OP's initial post, but not concerned about my safety.
I too would feel more comfortable with a Highlander, 4Runner, Honda Pilot.
Old 02-05-2015, 11:47 AM   #176

I got a check from Toyota for about $250 for a class action suit regarding the acceleration issue. It was from a Tundra I'd sold quite some time before I got the check. It was a total surprise.
Old 02-05-2015, 11:47 AM   #177

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Only problem I see with getting a RAV V6 as tow vehicle is that it will have to be used ( 2012 or older ) and have the factory tow package ( includes a heavy-duty radiator and fan, transmission oil cooler, and 150-amp alternator ).
I think the odds of finding one so equipped would be long.
And then, you have to consider if you really want to buy a vehicle that has been used for towing.
Also, if it has the factory hitch, it's only class II and will have to be replaced with class III so you can use a WDH, which you will need.
Old 02-05-2015, 12:47 PM   #178

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
My thought is that you can find individual horror stories on every brand and specific vehicle ever made. We all have our own brand biases and who we trust for information. Personally I tend to believe the reporting from Consumer Reports on brand and vehicle reliability, so I will probably keep buying Toyotas

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 01:08 PM   #179

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Only problem I see with getting a RAV V6 as tow vehicle is that it will have to be used ( 2012 or older ) and have the factory tow package ( includes a heavy-duty radiator and fan, transmission oil cooler, and 150-amp alternator ).
I think the odds of finding one so equipped would be long.
I agree that this can be a significant issue. Even if a particular type of vehicle is common, if the current owners like them then there are few for sale at a reasonable price. It can even be difficult to assess if the vehicle has the required towing prep package.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 02:08 PM   #180

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I should start with my towing style. I avoid interstates and tow at a maximum of 57MPH most of the time.

I've towed my 3010 lb 17B many miles with a 2010 RAV4 Sport (V6 & Tow Package). What I liked - plenty of power, stable, easy to steer when backing into a tight site (short rear wheel to hitch distance and small turning radius), and 25MPG when unhitched. Since it is my only vehicle & I have 104,000 miles on it, the good mileage for a tow vehicle unhitched is a consideration. While not a serious consideration, it is also the hottest car I've owned since my 69 Camaro.

Now, what I don't like - too small gas tank (15 gallons) presents some refueling problems in some western states, particularly with a headwind. Towing mileage is a big hit - 15MPG over 56,000 miles of towing. Having to keep an eye on tongue weight - I have to work to keep it under 350 lbs. I also miss an "outdoor" storage area for messy stuff. While I have the front storage box, I'd like a place for an extra propane bottle, extra fuel, and maybe a generator (probably not, I haven't needed one yet). Lastly, while the RAV4 is a 4 wheel drive (under 25MPH) and the feature is useful, it is not really an "off road" vehicle. It would be nice to have something that was better suited for exploring some of the high clearance roads available to a true 4 wheel drive vehicle.

Overall, if I was purchasing a new tow vehicle (which I probably will next year) I suspect I'll end up with a mid size truck. I like Toyotas, but was not impressed with the Highlander and would like to try something other than a SUV. The 2016 Tacoma looks interesting as does the Chevy Colorado.