Towing 19 with toyota tacoma will I need WDH systems - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 02-23-2020, 11:23 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Towing 19 with toyota tacoma will I need WDH systems

I never used a WDH system. My Tacoma has added Firestone airbags in the back to reduce sag. I put these on to tow my casita. I really don't want to add the weight if a WDH system unless its a must.

truck has 6,400 lb towing capacity Max. Tongue weight 640 lbs

escape list the ball weight at 290lbs with options i guessing at 385-400lbs but if i use a average from John Vermilye spread sheet for 19 2nd gen ball weight would be 495lbs

duel 6 volts and storage box on front. Air and solar

I wish escape would list teh weight of each option so i had a idea of what this trailer would weigh with my options

If i really need one what model would the best setup. They also list they will not install on air suspensions
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 12:10 AM   #2

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
Towed a 19 Escape with a 2009 Tacoma for 8 years with no WDH but firestone airbags. Over 40,000 towing miles and no problems. Currently towing a 21 Escape with a new Tacoma and only Firestone airbags. Truck and trailer heavily loaded as we spend 4 to 5 months traveling each winter. Cruise around 60 for mileage and safety reasons. So far (9000 miles) , no problems.
sprinkledavid@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 12:32 AM   #3

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
...I wish escape would list teh weight of each option so i had a idea of what this trailer would weigh with my options ...
TIP - take a look at / download the "Inventory" sheets on the ETI site for trailers of the model(s) of interest.

While most of those are 'options loaded' they do vary some and at the bottom of the Build Sheet they list both the "Trailer Dry Weight (Base)" and "Shipping Weight" which varies from build-to-build. I might be wrong but IMO it's likely that the "Shipping Weight" is a pretty good outside value for the actual as-built trailer weight.

Personally I don't pay too much attention to mfr 'dry' tongue weights. I know from experience I'm gonna trim for ~12% (minimum) of the gross loaded trailer weight on the un-hitched tongue, with or without a WDH, for the inherent anti-sway characteristics that provides. If you've been trailering with a Casita you've probably got a good idea of your typical 'gear + fluids + fuel' load to add to trailer empty weight for then getting to a target tongue weight range.

I, too, tow my 17' Casita without a WDH behind my Ridgeline that's "rated" for up to 600# tongue weight. The Ridgeline with independent rear suspension can't use airbags as I did on my F150 to 'tweak' things for perfect night headlight aim. FWIW I expect to use a WDH IF I end up with an Escape 19. BTDT with WDH on previous rigs, not that big of a deal except hitching in rain or extreme heat when every moment doing any 'work' outdoors is miserable

All just for your consideration
Centex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 07:05 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Your weight can vary by each trip, it will never be the same all the time. suggest you get a Sherline tongue weight scale for at home and weigh your trailer at least once while loaded at a truck scale, that should give you a baseline. My E19 tongue weight was close to 600# when full loaded. If your trailer/truck is not level then you will need a w/d set up. https://www.amazon.com/Sherline-LM-1...s%2C150&sr=8-6
Attached Thumbnails
617-ipFJ+1L._SL1206_.jpg  
Old 02-24-2020, 10:27 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
TIP - take a look at / download the "Inventory" sheets on the ETI site for trailers of the model(s) of interest.

While most of those are 'options loaded' they do vary some and at the bottom of the Build Sheet they list both the "Trailer Dry Weight (Base)" and "Shipping Weight" which varies from build-to-build. I might be wrong but IMO it's likely that the "Shipping Weight" is a pretty good outside value for the actual as-built trailer weight.

Personally I don't pay too much attention to mfr 'dry' tongue weights. I know from experience I'm gonna trim for ~12% (minimum) of the gross loaded trailer weight on the un-hitched tongue, with or without a WDH, for the inherent anti-sway characteristics that provides. If you've been trailering with a Casita you've probably got a good idea of your typical 'gear + fluids + fuel' load to add to trailer empty weight for then getting to a target tongue weight range.

I, too, tow my 17' Casita without a WDH behind my Ridgeline that's "rated" for up to 600# tongue weight. The Ridgeline with independent rear suspension can't use airbags as I did on my F150 to 'tweak' things for perfect night headlight aim. FWIW I expect to use a WDH IF I end up with an Escape 19. BTDT with WDH on previous rigs, not that big of a deal except hitching in rain or extreme heat when every moment doing any 'work' outdoors is miserable

All just for your consideration

Thanks that good info I dint even notice it right at teh bottom of my build sheet

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Your weight can vary by each trip, it will never be the same all the time. suggest you get a Sherline tongue weight scale for at home and weigh your trailer at least once while loaded at a truck scale, that should give you a baseline. My E19 tongue weight was close to 600# when full loaded. If your trailer/truck is not level then you will need a w/d set up. https://www.amazon.com/Sherline-LM-1...s%2C150&sr=8-6

I might have to get one of those they look handy
Old 02-24-2020, 10:53 AM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
If you get a Sherline scale, specify that you want the 1,000 lb. gauge. It is easier to read and more accurate in the middle of the range. I replaced the 2,000 lb. gauge that came with my Sherline.
Old 02-24-2020, 11:53 AM   #7

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
That link I posted was the 1000 lb unit......
Old 02-24-2020, 01:25 PM   #8

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
I had a 2008 Tacoma DC 4X4. We didn’t a WDH with the Escape 17B. Towed fine, no problems.

I traded to a 2017 4Runner, I needed the WDH. To bouncy, the hitch fixed that.

We just bought a 2019 Tundra DC 4x4 4.6L to tow our new 2020 E19. I didn’t even really think about it, I added the WDH to the build sheet. I might need it, I might not. I’ll probably only use it on the long hauls.
Old 02-24-2020, 07:49 PM   #9

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
You will really need to weigh your axles both front and back when hitched. I tow with a 2016 Taco & though it towed relatively level the rear axle was over weight and the front significantly under. After adding a WDH I have dialed everything in to be within spec for the truck.
We have a 19’ moderately loaded & it tows fine, you really don’t Want to be light on your front axle & lose steering & braking performance.
Gasguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 12:56 AM   #10

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
We put blue sumo springs in our 2017 Tacoma and tow our 2016 Escape 19 with the pro series WDH that Escape sells. I like the combo, nice ride empty and I like the way it tows.
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 08:12 AM   #11

Trailer: 2012 19
Pay attention to how much weight you have in the truck (including tongue weight) as it is easy to overload the Tacoma. You may be able to put some heavy items in the trailer.
Graham
Opelika Al
gyuill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 10:13 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyuill View Post
Pay attention to how much weight you have in the truck (including tongue weight) as it is easy to overload the Tacoma. You may be able to put some heavy items in the trailer.
Graham
Opelika Al

Yes i aware of the low cargo weight capacity. that is one reason I rather not add the weight of WDH unless i have to.
Old 02-25-2020, 12:35 PM   #13

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, "Zen Purple", 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado/Duramax
Quote:
Yes i aware of the low cargo weight capacity. that is one reason I rather not add the weight of WDH unless i have to.
Not sure if this will help, but the WDH I got from ETI seems to weigh under 40 lbs, including the bars. I can carry the thing around and install it myself with no trouble. Of course, if you're already on the edge with payload, 40-lbs can make a difference...
salmo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 12:38 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmo7000 View Post
Not sure if this will help, but the WDH I got from ETI seems to weigh under 40 lbs, including the bars. I can carry the thing around and install it myself with no trouble. Of course, if you're already on the edge with payload, 40-lbs can make a difference...

witch model did you get they sell 3 but i was looking at the fast way E2
Old 02-25-2020, 01:09 PM   #15

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, "Zen Purple", 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado/Duramax
Quote:
witch model did you get they sell 3 but i was looking at the fast way E2
Yes, Fast away is the one we have.
salmo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 08:07 PM   #16

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19', 2010 Toyota Tacoma TRD DCLB 4X4
We have towed a 2009 19 with 2010 Tacoma Double Cab Long Box TRD with no WDH or airbags for about 16 000 miles in mountains, wind, rain and mud with canoe or two kayaks on truck. Never had any squat or sway issues. Only drive about 60-65 mph. Gas mileage really drops with anything on top of truck.
smac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 07:29 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac2 View Post
We have towed a 2009 19 with 2010 Tacoma Double Cab Long Box TRD with no WDH or airbags for about 16 000 miles in mountains, wind, rain and mud with canoe or two kayaks on truck. Never had any squat or sway issues. Only drive about 60-65 mph. Gas mileage really drops with anything on top of truck.
Gas mileage what do you get?
Old 02-26-2020, 11:34 AM   #18

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
A friend of mine bought a Tacoma just like ours and an escape 19 just like ours he towed it from Anchorage Alaska to Escape Trailer industries without a weight distribution hitch he had one put on at escape and said the difference was amazing he’ll never tow without one
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 01:56 AM   #19

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19', 2010 Toyota Tacoma TRD DCLB 4X4
We get about 12 mpg US.
smac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 07:19 AM   #20

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by smac2 View Post
We get about 12 mpg US.
Is the 12 MPG during the winter ? I know with our vehicles that we lose 3 to 5 MPGs when the temps get down in the single digits/ below zero .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote