Towing 5.0 with Sierra 3.0 Duramax - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-08-2022, 02:59 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA
Towing 5.0 with Sierra 3.0 Duramax

Hello everybody,

I didnt see to many people talking about GM Baby Duramax so I decide to share my expierence.

I bought it to tow 5.0 TA.
We had F150 3.5 eco before - it was good truck for 5.0 but we moved from small town to Calgary and I was looking for something more fuel efficient.

Oct 2021 we purchase Sierra elevation with 3.0 diesel engine.
Honestly ,I missed few things my Ford had but once I saw fuel economy and savings I quickly forgot about Ford.
During Calgary winter,driving arround town,taking kids to school,shopping etc I was at 12-13l /100km (almost every day I started truck earlier to warm up).
Spring came,I was driving longer distances but still in city limits I was at~8l/100km.
That was big suprise to me.I didnt expect that.

Two weeks ago we decided to take trailer for first 2022 trip and we went to Jasper.
I have to admit I was traveling light,with 2 little kids,small bike ,clothes and food just for two nights.
We were driving with the speed limit,so 100km/h and then in the park 90km/h.
Towing up and down no problem at all,on flat engine run at 1400-1500rpm,barely could hear it.
We went to whistler campground .
Next day we went to Miette Hot Springs(without trailer) and on Sun we came back home.
Regular trafic,few quick stops on the way back.
I fill up once in Jasper and then second time in Calgary.
We did 998km that trip and average for whole trip was 11.9 l /100km hand calculated(truck was showing 12.2)
I couldnt belive it,did math 3times.
Trip to hot springs was arround 100km total.
Also,I didnt use towing mode all the time,but on flat thru Banff,Lake Louise I didnt notice transmition shifting at all. So probably half the trip- Tow/Haul mode.
Looks like perfect engine for probably all Escape trailers.
Ford was never even near those numbers...
I remember only one trip we made to Portland OR from Vancouver B.C when I thought I score big time ...15l/100km.
Other than that it was17-20l/100km normal towing,my record high was 29l/100km towing from famous Chilliwack B.C to Kamloops B.C.
Higher mountains,more hills-understandable.

I cant wait to go to Vancouver this summer with trailer to see how much I will burn ....hehe.
I hope this will help someone make decision.
I am pretty happy with my purchase.
Thank you everyone for sharing your experience.

Mike.
MRHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 07:39 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 19
Thanks Mike,

Appreciate the feedback on the 3.0 Duramax. I'm due to pick up our 2022 (refreshed) Sierra with the same engine in next couple of weeks from a dealer in Idaho (we are in Nevada). Currently pulling our 2014 19 with 2017 Explorer 3.5 Ecoboost so looking forward to similar improvement in mileage, plus increased space for camp gear.

Cheers
Old 07-08-2022, 08:20 PM   #3

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
That’s 19.76mpg for your whole trip calculation. We are towing with a Canyon 2.8 Duramax and averaging about 19mpg, depending how fast I drive.

This is my first diesel and I love how quiet it is, and how much torque it has down low.
splitting_lanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 09:46 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 5.0
Thanks for sharing that...I've got the same engine in my 2020 Silverado, and I get similar amazing results for fuel efficiency. I don't know why you don't hear more folks going for that engine...maybe now more will, given current fuel prices!
Old 07-08-2022, 09:56 PM   #5

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA The Glass Inn
A question for MRHM and TahoeJoe. Are your trucks 2 wheel drive or 4 wheel drive?
rmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 10:26 PM   #6

Mine is 4wd, X31 Elevation
Old 07-08-2022, 10:59 PM   #7

4x4 RST with the Diesel Off-Road Package
Old 07-11-2022, 04:59 PM   #8

BTW, does anyone tow their Escape with a RAM 2500 6.7 Cummins diesel?
Old 07-11-2022, 07:38 PM   #9

Trailer: 2022 21NE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp171 View Post
I'm sure it's more truck than you'd ever need for an escape
Crazypill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 08:06 PM   #10

Quote:
For what it's worth, that was my last truck...and I purposely downsized in anticipation of getting my Escape. No need for that much truck with the 5.0, and for the long hauls I do (CA to FL every year), my priorities are mpg and driving comfort. I'm very happy with that decision!
Old 07-11-2022, 08:38 PM   #11

Trailer: 2022 21NE
I tow with a 2021 Honda ridgeline with a naturally aspirated 3.5 v6 and get 13.8mpg in a very Honda comfortable interior. Ceramic tinted windows too for shading and privacy. Very comfortable. Drives itself on the highway.
Crazypill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 08:56 AM   #12

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazypill View Post
I tow with a 2021 Honda ridgeline with a naturally aspirated 3.5 v6 and get 13.8mpg in a very Honda comfortable interior. ...
A great vehicle (I had a 2019 in RTL-E trim and loved it) but not suitable / cannot be equipped* for towing the Escape 5.0 which is the subject of this thread.

*yes, a rare few have done very extensive mods to a Ridgeline for towing a 5th wheel, but all far outside of anything recommended or warrantied by Honda
Old 07-12-2022, 11:18 AM   #13

Trailer: 5.0 on order- ETA 06/2024
Quote:
FWIW, I have a 5.0 on order and my truck is a 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax HD All Terrain no mods, with bed rails of 58 inches. Others have assured me that I should have no issues and I will be adding the lift to the trailer when the time comes to submit my build sheet. If I were to downsize my truck to a 1/2 ton, it would cost me more than my current truck cost me so I am hoping it will work out. What are your concerns with a 3/4 Ton?
Pineapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 03:09 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple View Post
FWIW, I have a 5.0 on order and my truck is a 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax HD All Terrain no mods, with bed rails of 58 inches. Others have assured me that I should have no issues and I will be adding the lift to the trailer when the time comes to submit my build sheet. If I were to downsize my truck to a 1/2 ton, it would cost me more than my current truck cost me so I am hoping it will work out. What are your concerns with a 3/4 Ton?
No concerns, and i appreciate that most feel a 2500/HD is total overkill but i became just besotted with that 6.7 Cummins straight six diesel. It is a peach to drive, delivers 800 lb-ft of torque from practically idle, and when driven carefully (solo/not towing) can return around 20 MPG.

You also get around double the payload capacity which resonates with me as (full disclosure here) we have a 19 and typically load a ton of gear for camping with the kids. They will last FOREVER as well if taken care of.

Total overkill for us, but would have loved to gotten my wife onboard with it. But i'll be super happy with my new AT4 1500 3.0 Duramax.
Old 07-12-2022, 03:25 PM   #15

Quote:
No concerns, and i appreciate that most feel a 2500/HD is total overkill but i became just besotted with that 6.7 Cummins straight six diesel. It is a peach to drive, delivers 800 lb-ft of torque from practically idle, and when driven carefully (solo/not towing) can return around 20 MPG.

You also get around double the payload capacity which resonates with me as (full disclosure here) we have a 19 and typically load a ton of gear for camping with the kids. They will last FOREVER as well if taken care of.
I will second that about that Cummins...whatever I didn't like about having that giant truck, I absolutely loved that engine, it is a beautiful beast! I sure did appreciate it when towing my previous trailer, which was a giant Arctic Fox. As far as the HD trucks go, each has their pluses and minuses, for example the transmission on the Ram was not great and nowhere near the Allison on the GM's. But without a doubt, if the engine is your priority, the Cummins is simply the best there is, IMHO, in part because of the straight six configuration....

One last thing about the payloads though, not all the Ram 2500's have that much actually...many (including mine) have the coil springs in the rear, which (supposedly) improved the ride but greatly reduced the payload, and it definitely was not double what I have now...
Old 07-12-2022, 03:38 PM   #16

Quote:
Total overkill for us, but would have loved to gotten my wife onboard with it. But i'll be super happy with my new AT4 1500 3.0 Duramax.
p.s. and yes my wife is much happier with the smaller, more comfy Silverado (which also benefits from the straight six config btw). What's that saying about a happy wife?
TahoeJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 03:09 PM   #17

Quote:
But i'll be super happy with my new AT4 1500 3.0 Duramax.
Hmmm...I thought about AT4 especially when they offered it to me for $1k more than Elevation and they were available on the lot but I realize that it might be to high and to bouncy for 5.0 so I decided to wait and go with more basic one.
Old 07-20-2022, 01:21 PM   #18

Trailer: Ordering ‘21 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeJoe View Post
Thanks for sharing that...I've got the same engine in my 2020 Silverado, and I get similar amazing results for fuel efficiency. I don't know why you don't hear more folks going for that engine...maybe now more will, given current fuel prices!
More people aren't going to the 3.0 cuz you can't get it. GM is currently limiting 1500 production to 15% and Tahoe/Yukon/Suburban to 10%. We've had a Tahoe on order since mid-december and it still has not entered the production cycle.
Colorado Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 06:56 PM   #19

Trailer: 2014 5.0TA "The HAB"
I’m at 22K on my little Duramax and absolutely love it. Some tiny codes thrown early on but a reflash and update at the dealer cured that for good. Last tank on the highway was a tick below 31mpg. Last summer 4 weeks on the road towing the 4500lb 5th wheel trailer (BW turnover ball/Andersen hitch). 5168 miles traveled and averaged 19.2 mpg. Trip went from central TX to NM, CO, UT, ID, MT, WY, NE and back thru OK. More than few switchback mountain roads. Parked and unhooked the trailer and drove the truck by itself which drove up the mileage, but several “all towing” tanks produced a high of 19 and a low of 17 mpg, albeit not driving over 70 mph while towing. One small glitch, while driving UP Monarch pass on Hwy 50, the “DEF warning, 500 miles to 65 mph“ warning came up on the speedo screen and couldn’t be dismissed with the steering wheel button. I knew there was plenty of DEF and after the climbing and on the downhill portion the warning went away and didn’t appear again. DEF usage was 7.5 gallons. Used tow haul some to help with downshifting on some of the more serious downhill portions, but not a big fan of the tranny screaming at 3500 rpm to slow the truck. All in all a great towing experience and the truck performed well!
Tford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 07:06 PM   #20

Trailer: Escape 5.0
Count me as a happy baby Duramax owner. Ordered a '21 Siverado LTZ at the same time as our 5.0. Truck took 6 months, camper took a year and 6 months. Chevy dealer says they'd sell a ton of them if they could get them now.
My wife, Diane, and I headed toward Sumas May 30 of this year. Trip out averaged almost 28 mpg (lower than I'd been getting but loaded down with camper stuff and bucked 30 mph headwinds across North Dakota and Montana.
After 4000 miles of sightseeing on the way, we picked up the camper June 15 and spent the next two weeks exploring Washington, Oregon, N. California before heading back to Illinois. Over the last 4200 miles with camper we averaged over 20 mpg. (Typically driving a day or less to an area, then spending a couple days uncoupled exploring.)
On the drive back home where we only disconnected once, we averaged 18-20 mpg. (Typically driving 65-70 on interstates.)
First 4000 miles truck only, used about 3 gal. of DEF. Last 4200 miles pulling trailer we used about 7 gallons of DEF.
A couple of nitpicks: Wish we could move the comfy seats from our Toyota Highlander into the pickup. And engine brake is pretty weak in the mountains. On really steep downhill two-lanes I'd usually run in tow-haul and manual shift. That let me control the engine rpms better. In full auto, the transmission "brain" would sometimes shift way down and push the engine over 4000 rpm which I didn't like.
Otherwise, Diane I love the pickup, "Lil' Red". We love the 5.0, "Wild Thing" and we love the experience.
GregWCIL is offline   Reply With Quote