Towing a 17B with a 2012 Ford Escape V6 Tow Package - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 02-07-2017, 06:48 AM   #1

Trailer: 2001 Scamp 16
Towing a 17B with a 2012 Ford Escape V6 Tow Package

I have been researching weight distribution hitches, sway bars, trailer weights, hitch weights, etc., and have worked myself into a worl.d of doubt with regard to getting a 17B.

The Ford Escape with the V6 and tow package is rated at 3500 lbs. The hitch receiver is 1 1/4", not 2". I learned yesterday that WDHs are only for Class 3 Hitches and not 1 1/4" receivers (Etrailer).

Is the 17B feasible for me without the WDH? I do have all-wheel drive. One of the things I read on the Escape trailer site is that WDH's are necessary with front wheel drive vehicles.

I probably can't talk my wife into both a new vehicle and a new trailer for the next few years.

John
northwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 06:53 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The 4000# rating for the trailer exceeds your 3500# vehicle rating. You can tow, with the correct hitch but you may not enjoy the experience even you keep your weight under 3500# when loaded. What does your owner manual say?
Old 02-07-2017, 08:19 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
John,
Go take a look at Jon Vermilye's spread sheet of owners' actual weights submitted by owners. It shows 8 17Bs ranging from 2660 to 3340 with an average weight of 2974. From what we keep reading the new 17s will weigh a tad more. http://lakeshoreimages.com/spreadsheets/Weight.xls

I wouldn't tow much at all with an inch and a quarter receiver, so at a minimum, plan on a new hitch.

Bear in mind that I'm not advocating that you tow with your current vehicle, just giving you access to numbers.

There have been forum members who have towed Escape trailers with Escape vehicles, but I don't recall what size trailers. If you don't get enough responses, try a search on this site.

Bill
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 08:25 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
I completely agree with Bill that you will need a 2" replacement hitch. Baglo and others tow 17B with a 3500# rated Rav4 with a V6. I don't know how your Ford compares, but Glenn has put a lot of miles under his belt with his configuration. In my opinion a WDH would be a must, but you will get others opinions on their use. Loaded weight of our 17B was about 2710# if I recall correctly.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 09:48 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
The 4000# rating for the trailer exceeds your 3500# vehicle rating. You can tow, with the correct hitch but you may not enjoy the experience even you keep your weight under 3500# when loaded. What does your owner manual say?
The owners' manual provides the following for 4wd 3.0L powertrain. Maximum GCWR 7300, maximum trailer weight 3500. The 1 1/4" hitch receiver is the factory installed receiver for 2012 Escapes.

John
Old 02-07-2017, 10:07 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
On your car door jamb is a yellow sticker which shows your vehicle weight, subtract that from the 7300 to arrive at the trailer weight allowable.
Old 02-07-2017, 10:09 AM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
The factory hitch receiver for my RAV4 at the time I bought it was Class 2.
So, as part of the deal, I specified a Class 3 hitch receiver for weight distribution. The Toyota dealer had it installed, in house, by an aftermarket supplier.
I asked that it be inspected recently during a service and they reported all was good.
I would talk to etrailer.com or search their site for a suitable replacement hitch receiver.
Old 02-07-2017, 10:11 AM   #8

Size of receiver

From what I'm reading, Class 2 hitches are usually 1 1/4" and have ratings up to 3500 lbs. I'm interested if the people who have towed 17Bs with ratings at 3500 lbs had the bigger hitch receiver.

A scamp 13 may be in my immediate future instead, but not very excited about rivets and build quality compared to escapes.
Old 02-07-2017, 10:42 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
The factory hitch receiver for my RAV4 at the time I bought it was Class 2.
So, as part of the deal, I specified a Class 3 hitch receiver for weight distribution. The Toyota dealer had it installed, in house, by an aftermarket supplier.
I asked that it be inspected recently during a service and they reported all was good.
I would talk to etrailer.com or search their site for a suitable replacement hitch receiver.
Thanks for that. That answers one question I had. I talked to Etrailer, and they recommended part 75751 to replace the factory hitch. With replacement, switch to 7 pin connector, and a brake controller, the estimate is $750 installed by a specialty hitch place that was recommended to me. Will think on it some more.
Old 02-07-2017, 10:46 AM   #10

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by northwinds View Post
A scamp 13 may be in my immediate future instead, but not very excited about rivets and build quality compared to escapes.
Speaking from experience with a Scamp 16 and an Escape 17 - the quality difference is very large. I wish I had known about Escape's when we bought the Scamp....

The have been a couple of used Escape 15 for sale here, but they are probably gone already.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f1...tion-9486.html

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
Old 02-07-2017, 10:53 AM   #11

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I'd also look into getting an additional transmission fluid cooler installed.
Old 02-07-2017, 11:02 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Speaking from experience with a Scamp 16 and an Escape 17 - the quality difference is very large. I wish I had known about Escape's when we bought the Scamp....

The have been a couple of used Escape 15 for sale here, but they are probably gone already.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f1...tion-9486.html
Yeah, I have been watching those 15's with envy. I have care-giving responsibilities for the next 12-18 months which make a trip out to Salt Lake City or the west coast problematic. The summer of 2018 is my acquisition target date, and when my disabled son heads off to college.

Agreed on the transmission cooler.
Old 02-07-2017, 11:48 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
On your car door jamb is a yellow sticker which shows your vehicle weight, subtract that from the 7300 to arrive at the trailer weight allowable.
Curb weight is 3439 for the V6 4wd. We would need to be mindful of cargo load but still works for the 3500 trailer weight allowable.
Old 02-07-2017, 12:53 PM   #14

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:
I probably can't talk my wife into both a new vehicle and a new trailer for the next few years.
John
Valentines Day is just around the corner..perhaps a dozen roses AND a dozen chocolate coated strawberries would seal the deal!
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 12:55 PM   #15

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape
Until this year we have towed our 17B with a 2008 Ford Escape very easily...We had to have the larger hitch receiver installed before we picked up the trailer. The smaller hitch area is where we always hooked our break away cable.

Reace recommended the WDH and have always used it and will continue to use it on our Pathfinder..

We have gone through various mountain passes with no difficulties --trailer is about 2900 lbs fully loaded (and I mean fully loaded for a couple week vacation) we have weighed at truck scales and always been fine--tongue weight and all..

If you have a hitch receiver on the vehicle (factory installed) then you would have the tranny cooler is what I was told--otherwise it is just 1,00 lbs.

Our Escape has over 240,000 km on it and I use it for a daily driver--so the new vehicle with 5,000 lb towing capacity is our retirement vehicle and able to take more for longer trips...
Old 02-07-2017, 01:37 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by amirie View Post
Until this year we have towed our 17B with a 2008 Ford Escape very easily...We had to have the larger hitch receiver installed before we picked up the trailer. The smaller hitch area is where we always hooked our break away cable.

Reace recommended the WDH and have always used it and will continue to use it on our Pathfinder..

We have gone through various mountain passes with no difficulties --trailer is about 2900 lbs fully loaded (and I mean fully loaded for a couple week vacation) we have weighed at truck scales and always been fine--tongue weight and all..

If you have a hitch receiver on the vehicle (factory installed) then you would have the tranny cooler is what I was told--otherwise it is just 1,00 lbs.

Our Escape has over 240,000 km on it and I use it for a daily driver--so the new vehicle with 5,000 lb towing capacity is our retirement vehicle and able to take more for longer trips...
Thanks for your additional input. It's good to know that adding the bigger hitch/receiver seems to be the strategy on the smaller SUVs with Class 2 towing packages.

As for the Valentine's gift proposal, I think my wife believes she is owed all of that and more for the time I am spending on fiberglass trailer forums, blogs, and youtube videos.

John
Old 02-07-2017, 01:45 PM   #17

John a lot of us have mates who marvel at the amount of time we can waste here. I blame it on the miserable weather we're having this winter

Old 02-21-2017, 05:51 PM   #18

Just to close this thread out, it seems to me that my Ford Escape is probably at the low end of an acceptable tow vehicle for the 17B, although I appreciate that at least one person managed to do so.

My wife has agreed to let me upgrade the tow vehicle before acquiring the 17B--so long as she is not forced to ride in a pickup truck. I loved my little red 1986 Nissan pickup--the first vehicle I ever bought new. We are now leaning towards a Toyota Highlander or Nissan Pathfinder for late next fall. Roses for Valentine's Day probably didn't hurt.
Old 02-21-2017, 06:32 PM   #19

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Tow rigs

Quote:
Just to close this thread out, it seems to me that my Ford Escape is probably at the low end of an acceptable tow vehicle for the 17B, although I appreciate that at least one person managed to do so.

My wife has agreed to let me upgrade the tow vehicle before acquiring the 17B--so long as she is not forced to ride in a pickup truck. I loved my little red 1986 Nissan pickup--the first vehicle I ever bought new. We are now leaning towards a Toyota Highlander or Nissan Pathfinder for late next fall. Roses for Valentine's Day probably didn't hurt.
I will not comment on anything I haven't personally experienced. I will say our Highlander has been excellent with a very nice ride including the passenger seat. Additionally, my daughter's 2016 Pathfinder is serving them well and is very nice to ride in. I believe it sets a little higher than the 2012 Highlander.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 09:03 PM   #20

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
I will not comment on anything I haven't personally experienced. I will say our Highlander has been excellent with a very nice ride including the passenger seat. Additionally, my daughter's 2016 Pathfinder is serving them well and is very nice to ride in. I believe it sets a little higher than the 2012 Highlander.
Dave
I seriously looked at a Highlander. Rented one for a week on business travel and was quite impressed. However gardening in the PNW involves a lot of pruning. Between our home and our rental, I make 4 or 5 trips a season to the yard waste compost station. Thus the Tacoma.
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote